Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows

Options
  • 10-03-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi

Building a 450 sq ft extension to back of house faces north east not great but I cant change the position of the house

So I intend to really go to town on the insulation on the roof and walls to try to help cut down on heat loss as I will have a lot of window and Roof lights could anyone point me to really good energy efficent windows and roof lights

Thanks
    myles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

mylesm wrote: »
    Hi

Building a 450 sq ft extension to back of house faces north east not great but I cant change the position of the house

So I intend to really go to town on the insulation on the roof and walls to try to help cut down on heat loss as I will have a lot of window and Roof lights could anyone point me to really good energy efficent windows and roof lights

Thanks
    myles

Hi Myles

most uPVC windows manufacturers will offer frames which can be A rated, have to be 70mm thick, triple chamber, but as important is the glass. Recommend Soft Coat, Low E ( or K Glass ) Argon filled cavity. The glass will have a U value of 1.1 and the window plus glass a U value of 1.4.In aluminium frames look for 75-80mm thick with a thermal break, and again specify above glass.

Advertisement