Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earliest Gaming Memory

Options
  • 10-03-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

As the title suggests. I was just thinking about the first game i remember playing. It was called Commando on the Commodore 16.
    I was ten at the time.1986
    The game was little more than the green blocks against the brown blocks.With bigger grey blocks for cover and buildings.

They were simple times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I remember playing a really crummy game called Myth on my dad's Atari I think. Was terrible at it (I was only 4 or 5 though) but still loved it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I can remember Christmas day in 1993, I was 6 and I had just received the best present from "Santa" ever. A brand new Sega Megadrive. I sat in front of the tv for the whole day playing Streets of Rage 2 (thanks mom and dad for allowing me to play such a violent game so early in my life) and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Its probably the reason why I always seem to talk about both of those games on boards:pac:

I just had to post this...ah nostalgic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Predator on the Commodore 64.
    Loved it to bits.

Edit: Actually, not sure if it was the C64. What was the one where you used cassette tapes?! That one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1 crediting R-type on my first go.

It's hard to remember, could be ghosts n'goblins or Contra in the arcade or else it was seeing my next door neighbours playing jack the nipper on the C64.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I can remember Christmas day in 1993, I was 6 and I had just received the best present from "Santa" ever. A brand new Sega Megadrive. I sat in front of the tv for the whole day playing Streets of Rage 2 (thanks mom and dad for allowing me to play such a violent game so early in my life) and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Its probably the reason why I always seem to talk about both of those games on boards:pac:

Ha thats great Streets of rage 2.What a class game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Nevore wrote: »
    Predator on the Commodore 64.
    Loved it to bits.

Edit: Actually, not sure if it was the C64. What was the one where you used cassette tapes?! That one!

Yeah the 64 and the 16,with that loud scretching noise when the tape was loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Playing Crash games that came with a magizine for my ZX Spectrum 128.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Yeah the 64 and the 16,with that loud scretching noise when the tape was loading.
    That's the one then!

I used to think you could put in any tape and it would be a game. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I remember playing Donkey Kong on my aunts Zx Spectrum, my first encounter with gaming at home

But my ealiest arcade memory goes all the way back to these....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Electronic battleship I bought with my communion money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Then after the spectrum i moved on to the Master System II with Alex the kidd in miracle world.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Got the C64 for Christmas around '83, which came with Jupiter Lander, which was a cartridge, rather than tape. That's the first game of my own that I remember. Got great mileage out of it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pacman in the pub on holiday. I must have been 4-5, bringing empty glasses back to the bar in the hopes of earning the glorious but elusive 10p that would allow me to play some more.

Either that or playing Centipede on the Atari 2600 for so long that the score counter ran out of numbers and reset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Midnight Resistance on the C64.

Listen to that music.

KICK ASS!!:cool:

CrinkElite wrote: »

Listen to that music.

KICK ASS!!:cool:
    How the hell did I forget that! Levelling up your weapons at the end was the best, you could get a triple shot scatter gun!

Edit: Haha, it's in the video. Damn, that brings me back.

Playing Super mario bros 3 on original nes, and pacman on a commadore vic20. Finding the whistle in smb3 when you press the down arrow for ages until he drops through the screen...never forget it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

This thread makes me feel so old :(

Had all the usuals, Spectrum, Oric, Atari etc., etc., but if I'm being absolutely honest, the only real home gaming experience came when I got my hands on an Amiga.

...and who could ever forget the Amiga music scene...

Not to mention the whole demo and .mod scene, though I can't find a youtube for that :P

Best computer/gaming platform ever made in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The Duel: Test Drive II on Windows 3.0 circa 1990, I was about 7.

It looked even crappier than this as it was in B&W on my parents business machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I never post here ... but anyway.

Today I was just thinking of my first computer/game :-)

I believe it was an Atari of some sort and the game was "ET" something or other. It was terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

used to play the arcade games in salthill Galway as a child can't remember what they were but some of the earliest memories were duck hunt on the Nintendo, Streets of Rage 2 on the Megadrive 2 & Turrican 2 on the C64 (this was one of my first games to buy - got it the week it came out in the shops and was so happy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

iRock wrote: »
    I never post here ... but anyway.

Today I was just thinking of my first computer/game :-)

I believe it was an Atari of some sort and the game was "ET" something or other. It was terrible!

That game was so bad it triggered the 1983 video game industry crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Was the original prince of persia on pc. The graphics out do any of this modern ****e.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Aside from watching the Uncle play games on his Atari, the first game(s) I remember playing were on my brand spanking new C64, it was the four game cart that came with the system.

I think the games were Flimbos Quest, Klax, International Soccer and Fiendish Freddies Big Top of Fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

getting killed by the first goomba in mario bros on my friends nes :(
    one of my favorite moments from that age was finishing megaman 2 for the first time. all the kids from the street came up to watch as we found out you use bubble mans weapon on the last boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

hmmm my kness hurt cause im old. on the basis of this video..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

When i was 5 my parents got me a nes for christmas. The first game i had was Super Mario Bros. 3. I remember when i played it that i found it too hard halfway through the second world so my dad played through it for me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

CrinkElite wrote: »

I'll see your Midnight Resistance on the C64 and raise you the Amiga version. Vastly superior ;)

"pick a weapon... weapon... weapon"

If I remember correctly there comes a point where you have to save up points and not buy weapons so you can free your family at the end, I was always like "screw that, I want more weapons, not a family".

I have a vague memory of the end boss being a big face with protruding eyeballs that shoots maggots at you :confused: they don't make them like they used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Then after the spectrum i moved on to the Master System II with Alex the kidd in miracle world.

OMFG, I remember this game. Ha... I hated it though, got my ass kicked all the time.

When we were kids we didn't have a game system. We eventually got the NES, which was amazing at the time, and we also got a turbo joystick, ha. Anyway, we used to go to our cousins house to play their game systems. I guess my earliest memory is:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The original worms game on my uncles computer. He had an illegal version I think, had to load it up in ms DOS and consult a vast sheet of codes every time he wanted to start it up.

I was terrible, I'd always try and use the airstrile :D but hey I was young.

Pretty soon after I got a sega megadrive and had years of happiness with the likes of Sonic, Streets of Rage, etc. They were so awesome. Still are.

Advertisement