Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earliest Gaming Memory

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Think this is the first game I played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

cannot remember the game but it was on a bbc computer in early primary school! trying to find them now on this site http://www.bbcmicrogames.com.
    in final year of primary school i remember stunt island and a game about the titanic- might have been an acorn computer by that stage?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The first game I remember playing was ISS Deluxe on the SNES (I would have been about 3 or 4).

I wasn't any good though, I kept scoring own goals :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'll see your Midnight Resistance on the C64 and raise you the Amiga version. Vastly superior ;)

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you there, lets just say there different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

My earliest memories of proper gaming would have to be when I was around 5. During the day my grandmother would mind me while my folks were at work at and bring me with her when she went to see her friends, one of whom had a son a couple years older than me with a Megadrive who'd always let me play two-player; we'd spend ages blasting through the likes of Streets of Rage and Golden Axe aswell as take turns on Shinobi - I'd always beg my grandmother to stay a while longer :pac:

Soon after I got a Gameboy and one of my cousins would always loan me games. Eventually got a SNES of my own one Christmas and that's pretty much were the rest of my childhood went. Ah, nostalgia :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Revealing my age here but from the 1980s, I present

D2C06B11C1095BCFC23571_Large.jpg

Inflicted some serious wear and tear on the left and right keyboards keys on this baby:D

800px-Amstrad_CPC464.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Ah my earliest gaming memory would have to be of the Atari. Games in particular would be Barnstorming and Pitfall....in all their pixelated glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

first one was asteroids on the atari2600 in a neighbours house, but my first proper game on my own machine, was Turrican on the c64(definetly c64, not amiga) a few years later..Turrican rocked!

followed closely by Final Fight, remember Hagar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Never had a console as a kid, had to make do with playing games on DOS.

First 3 games I had were:

Indycar Racing
    Lemmings 2: The Tribes
    FIFA International Soccer

Also have vague memories of owning a Batman Game, possibly Batman Returns but I've never been able to tell for certain which one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

My earliest memory is living in our first house,aged about 3 or 4,playing super mario on the snes.
    Me auld lad got dressed up and said he was going to the pub (twas a saturday night).
    The was the usual "NO DONT GO OUT" routine of bawling from me & my siblings but he went anyway.
    He arrived back about half an hour later with chips for us all and 3 or 4 snes games rented from the video shop!:pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

followed closely by Final Fight, remember Hagar?
    Wow that looks like a real ball breaker.
    Some of those games were just heartbreakingly difficult.
    like in terminator 2 you just got one life and then you got sent back to the start. really varied game though. The snes and sega versions were just awful by comparison.

By the way remember Creatures 2? it was a real gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Atari 2600 back in the 80s that my parents got me.ah god almighty they were the days!pacman,nemesis,frogger,stampede,outlaw.....all pure classics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Paperboy on the commodore 64 sticks out in my mind...Easy street-Middle road and hard way :D

I remember one christmas getting a mastersystem with the game enduro racer..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Playing Mario on the NES. Had some other games for it too.. Just can't remember what they were....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Think it's 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81...
    Also I remember Circus on the Atari console, the 1st one.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

First machine I had was a ZX Spectrum and my faviourite game was Cobra!

Until the disc got corrupted.... nooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

First machine I had was a ZX Spectrum and my faviourite game was Cobra!

Until the disc got corrupted.... nooooooooooooo!

Disc on a zx spectrum:confused::confused: hmmmmmm.... was that not a cassette tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Cobra was bitch hard

my first memory was from when i was about 6 and someone had an Atari i think and they were playing either Gun Fight or Boot Hill, it was 1979 so hard to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

1993, my birthday, semi-dissapointed with the paltry GI Joe set I received. I'm in my grans house watching cartoons on TV in the kitchen, my uncle comes in with a big box that reads "Nintendo Entertainment System" and a copy of a game called "Mario Bros 3". What followed was several years of playing the game over and over and over.

You could say I was behind the times, but I'm pretty sure the SNES was only out for around a year was too expensive and I was too young to care anyway. I was the only kid I knew that had a NES instead of a SNES, I think I'm better off for it having experienced every generation of Nintendo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Typing out the code for a one armed bandit on the BBC micro. The first real game I remember playing is probably labyrinth on the BBC micro again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sparkfire

For me it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES, never finished it but have great memories all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

sparkfire wrote: »
    For me it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES, never finished it but have great memories all the same

The above ground parts wrecked my head, I preferred the tunnel action so I kept to them as much as I could. That was an excellent game and I too never finished it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

original-game-and-watch-donkey-kong-nintendo.png

Played it for hours....I could reset the clock and got up to 366 with one life...I totally kicked ass at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

c16commando.jpg

Yes here it is the game that started it all off for me.Ladies and gentlefolk i give you Commando on the Commodore 16.Actually it has to be said the graphics are a hell of a lot better than i remember,and i actually found a review that gave it a respectable 6/10.Which isn't really to bad when you consider that what you see above is one full level,and there were only five levels in the game.God i wish i still had a C16,I'd love to give this a bash again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

CrinkElite wrote: »

By the way remember Creatures 2? it was a real gem.

i do! class game, poor creatures used to get tortured for fun when i couldnt complete a level :D
    btw, do you remember the cartridge game for the C64? like altered beast etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ghosts n Goblins for the c64. Sigh.... better times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

First game: Willy the Worm

Second game: Bouncing Babies

Third game: Digger !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think the first game I ever played was called Mountain King on an Atari. I can still remember the music.

When I got myself a C64 the game I remember most was Flimbo's Quest. A great game. It came on a cartridge with Klaxx, Fiendish Freddie's Big Top O' Fun and International Soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Mine was Nightbreed on the C64

No idea what was going on half the time

Advertisement