Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earliest Gaming Memory

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I suppose

168-1.jpg

or

grandprix-769059.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

. It came on a cartridge with Klaxx, Fiendish Freddie's Big Top O' Fun and International Soccer.

I remember my cousins had that haha Used to play for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Space Invaders (and later, Pacman) back in nineteen-eighty-whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

First memory was when my brother arrived home one day with an Atari 2600, It looked like it was made out of wood and had more knobs and switches than anything! Put in a cartridge, "Centipede", honestly was the best thing I had ever seen in my entire life, at this stage I didnt even know what a computer was! Alternated from Centipede to Pac Man to Moon Patrol all night long! Amazing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My sister got one of these for xmas in 1990(I woulda been 4).
    Good old Atari ST.She got Space Harrier,Bomb Jack,Ikari Warriors and Impossible Mission 2 for it.
    Atari_ST_1040.jpg
    A couple weeks later for my birthday then my parents gave me something that was actually mine for it too.
    Treasure_Island_Dizzy_Coverart.png
    Fcuk you Dizzy.Fcuk you!:mad:

I rant about this game quite often around here

I was the sad kid who had a BBC micro while everyone else had c64 and spectrum

Then again, they didn't have this bad boy, which I spent countless, eye-watering hours on:

So who's the real loser, eh?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Harrier Attack on the Amstrad CPC464. It had the shortest load time of most of my games so it got played the most! Bloody half an hour to load scalextric, but the day I finally got a colour monitor it was worth it :)

I saved pocket money for a year to get that Amstrad, and it was worth every penny. Match Day II ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Couple of games I remember playing, on something my dad owned, called a Sord M5.

Tank Battalion

Here is someone playing the game (poorly) on youtube (quality is fairly diabolical).

Moon Patrol

I like the music - endlessly repeatable, never starts to 'grate'.

[EDIT]: Earliest hand-held game I can think of was one of these 2-player PacMan2 units:

2634296724_7e99b08b06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Like Noffles, I remember 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81, and a space combat one from the same people called "3D Defender"
    I also remember typing in games in BASIC, but one that stands out was called ["The Valley"
    where you had to type in 8K of hexadecimal numbers off the back of a poster.
    Each paragraph had a CRC check of some type so you could tell if you'd made a mistake!
    Just found a link to a copy of it, it folded out and the whole back of it was full of code.
    Here's The Valley, there were others in the series.
    Earliest memories though are a few years before that.
    Still remember the first time I saw a table version of space invaders (Rosslare),
    and seeing Asteroids for the first time (Salthill).
    First thing I saw on a non dedicated console was a flight simulator.
    It was running on a Vax 11 mainframe in 1977, and was text only.
    You had a code where you could type in what you wanted to do with the controls,
    and it sent you back a line or two of code that you could interpret as your instrument panel readouts.
    It really felt like flying! (and crashing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

eddhorse wrote: »
    Mine was Nightbreed on the C64

No idea what was going on half the time

God i'd totally forgotten about that game.Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah it was part of the Nightmoves pack !

http://retro-treasures.blogspot.com/2007/06/commodore-64-night-moves-pack.html

Also had the mind benders pack, which was good too.

The other ones in the NighMoves pack are :
    Midnight Resistance

Shadow warriors :

Sly Spy :

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Sly spy secret agent i loved that game!
    Amazing how many i've forgotten.Years of marinating my brain in booze i suppose.:(

Advertisement