Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about working in an ABA school

• 10-03-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    I'm just finishing up my undergraduate psychology degree. Hoping to do educational psychology eventually but have no work experience as of yet.

Does anyone know does a basic psychology degree qualify you to work in an ABA school? I'm really interested in this area and would love to apply for a job in one of these schools.

How do you go about applying for these jobs, how can you find out about ABA school job vacancies, am i likely to get a job without any previous experience, and do they pay you while you're being trained?

Any help is appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Don't know a huge amount about this area but thought I'd tell you what I've heard. I know at least one girl in my undergrad course wanted to get into this area and as far as I remember she found the only way to go about it was to just write to all of the ABA schools she could find with a cover letter and a copy of her CV.

I would suggest doing the same if I were you. Maybe do a bit of background reading which might make your cover letter stand out a bit more.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more details re pay, training etc.

EDIT: This website appears to have a list of the schools in Ireland and the UK: http://www.speac-centre.org/node/70

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Efaol89

Thank you so so much. Thats actually very helpful because i had no idea how to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tiggerman111

Hi,

I worked in an ABA school for a while, yes you can work there with any degree at present. Some schools allow you to take on further training IF relevant to ABA and if it just takes up one day a week. They will pay you your normal weekly wages during this time. I got the job after seeing an advert in the paper, or alternatively just ring any local ABA school in ur area. there is a massive turn over rate in these schools so there are bound to be positions every few months. I got the job with a psychology degree but no relevant experience in the area. goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Efaol89

thanks tiggerman!:D

Advertisement