Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple recipes or food ideas for kids.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

http://semakgula.com.my/index.aspx

This is a sugar calculator for parents of young children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

How could you think that pasta and cheese was healthy? My mum used to give out mad to me for eating it, it was the only thing that I could eat when I was hungover. It's stodgy and full of salt, carbs and saturated fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Wantobe wrote: »
    I make sure the bread is wholegrain, and use healthy heart flora instead of butter on the toast ( although still use real butter in the scrambled egg, scones etc).

Growing kids need fat in their diets. I used to use Flora all the time, until I did some reading and began to look at the ingredients lists - that stuff reads like a chemistry lab whereas real butter or the likes of Dairygold contain ingredients that are actual foodstuffs.
    b743k wrote: »
    How could you think that pasta and cheese was healthy? My mum used to give out mad to me for eating it, it was the only thing that I could eat when I was hungover. It's stodgy and full of salt, carbs and saturated fat!

Kids need "carbs", unless you've got them on Baby Atkins! The only salt is in the cheese - approx 0.5g per 50g of cheese (or 1/4 of their daily recommendation).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Just went to the Annabel Karmel book for inspiration for my 11 month old's lunch and modified one of her recipes:

-Boil some baby pasta
    -Throw in some frozen mixed veg (she says to chop carrots etc)
    -When it's cooked, melt in a knob of butter and some grated cheese (she says parmesan)

Easy, healthy and filling; he's after gobbling it up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

b743k wrote: »

Pasta and cheese is very good for kids, especially if you use "good" carbs (brown pasta) as an alternative to the white alternative which are empty carbs and bad for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

AN idea for the older babies and toddlers etc. I bought extra large cupcake tins [well the rubber ones] and made mini shepherd's pies/fish pies/ anything involving mashed potatoes, meat and veg into extral large cupcakes that I can keep in the freezer and the portions are just the right size that I can reheat them one at a time.

I had a martha stewart moment where I made his first initial out of some carrot sticks and put it ontop of the cupcakes. This made it more edible somehow for a picky eater. Males and their visuals eh.

Advertisement