Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not Aviation Related..........BUT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Steyr wrote: »
    Hi all, just a quick one, arriving tomorrow to Ocean Pier 32 in Dublin will be the Royal Navy's new Type 45 HMS Daring ( D32 ).

http://navy-matters.beedall.com/images/daring-sea-trials2.jpg
    1-73.jpg

http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/images/HMS_DARING_TRIALS.jpg
    HMS_DARING_TRIALS.jpg

Its Public Info:
    http://www.dublinport.ie/information-centre/next-100-arrivals/

11/03/2010 10:15 DARING (NAVY) Navy Vessel Ocean Pier 32

Well, I guess they're welcome provided they don't start lobbing shells in the direction of the GPO:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Well, I guess they're welcome provided they don't start lobbing shells in the direction of the GPO:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: You didnt need to say that, and they are more than welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

The 'ol lad might be into this.. Where is ocean pier 32?? Is it off land or a dock??

The 'ol lad might be into this.. Where is ocean pier 32?? Is it off land or a dock??

AFAIK its a Pier, number 32 to be exact:pac: Na seriously i think it will be along the quay wall somewhere, either way she wont be hard to miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Funny looking thing, I seen it getting built at Scotstoun. Cost a lot of money and is seen by some as a luxury in these recessionary times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maybe this is to put the air traffic controllers under a bit of pressure.

I read somewhere that they could park this in the thames and it could monitor every plane taking off and landing at all five London airports.

Four type 45s and the QE Class carrier will be a pretty formidable sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robfullam

That looks deadly! Class 1 medical in the bag yesterday i think :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

To the north-east of the east-link roundabout as far as I can see.

Roll_on_Roll_off_Terminal1_03.gif

Funny looking thing, I seen it getting built at Scotstoun. Cost a lot of money and is seen by some as a luxury in these recessionary times

Daring and Dauntless were laid down before the recession hit, but the programme has been cut down to only four ships now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was meant to say in 'any times' :D

• Advertisement

I was meant to say in 'any times' :D

good news for our respective cities though. building ships creates a lot of jobs.

AFAIK its a Pier, number 32 to be exact:pac: Na seriously i think it will be along the quay wall somewhere, either way she wont be hard to miss.

I was joking Steyr, btw, do you mean she'll be hard to miss or she won't be hard to spot?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

HMS Conehead......

I seriously dislike the look of that ship.

On a more important issue though, is she open to the public?

gatecrash wrote: »
    HMS Conehead......

I seriously dislike the look of that ship.

On a more important issue though, is she open to the public?

The MK8 gun which has the same multi sided features is known as the Kryton Gun as it bears a striking resemblance to the Red Dwarf android's head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Ha ha!! Just thought it might be a big deep bastard like the JFK and be anchored off shore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Anyone know how long she's here for?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Maybe this is to put the air traffic controllers under a bit of pressure.

I read somewhere that they could park this in the thames and it could monitor every plane taking off and landing at all five London airports.

Four type 45s and the QE Class carrier will be a pretty formidable sight.

Given that the projected cost of the QE Class carrriers has risen 25% before the keel has even been laid and that once the British general election is out of the way there will be a major defence ' review ' I would not bet on either of the 2 carriers ever being built.
    About H.M.S. Daring - is she a Destroyer or Frigate ? ( not that I fully understand the difference ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

delancey42 wrote: »
    Given that the projected cost of the QE Class carrriers has risen 25% before the keel has even been laid and that once the British general election is out of the way there will be a major defence ' review ' I would not bet on either of the 2 carriers ever being built.
    About H.M.S. Daring - is she a Destroyer or Frigate ? ( not that I fully understand the difference ;) )

They are classed as Air Defence Destroyers. There are so many definitions for each that I can't work it out either.

delancey42 wrote: »
    About H.M.S. Daring - is she a Destroyer or Frigate ?

Destroyer. Type 45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I'll wait till July as I'm will be going to the navy days in Portsmouth where both her and HMS Dauntless will be. At least there you can defintely get on them for a looksie. Very impressive vessels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Has anyone been to see the ship? Is it visable to the public.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Has anyone been to see the ship? Is it visable to the public.

This ship has been designed to be almost invisible to radar and to the public, if you squint though you can just about make out her outine:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Andrew33 wrote: »

Hasn't been given its guns yet, so very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

Well, I guess they're welcome provided they don't start lobbing shells in the direction of the GPOrolleyes.gif
    I dunno, maybe we could ask them to lob shells in the direction of Leinster House while it's in session.:p We need another Easter rising to get rid of our current oppressive regime.:mad:

I imagine there's a few sore heads aboard this morning and Temple Bar last night had more than it's usual quota of British accents.:D

airvan wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe we could ask them to lob shells in the direction of Leinster House while it's in session.:p We need another Easter rising to get rid of our current oppressive regime.:mad:

I imagine there's a few sore heads aboard this morning and Temple Bar last night had more than it's usual quota of British accents.:D
    I wonder if it is any coincidence that the Captain is Irish and a big Rugby fan?

We want along to the port but couldn't get past the gate, the nearest you could get is from the south side by the top of sean moore road.

I think she leaves Monday morning.

T-Square wrote: »
    Hasn't been given its guns yet, so very unlikely.

And if it wanted to shell the GPO, it could do it from outside Irish Waters, let alone the Liffy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

I wonder if it is any coincidence that the Captain is Irish and a big Rugby fan?
    Sheer coincidence of course, no connection whatsoever:D

Advertisement