Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Strike

• 10-03-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

According to RTE taxis are threatening to go on strike as from 18th March.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0310/taxi.html

Am I missing something as taxi groupings & unions continually go on, and on, about limiting the number of taxi licences.
    There is no limit on most other occupations be it carpenters, bus drivers, plumbers, shop owners, restaurants, couriers or whatever. For the most part, it is simply a case of letting supply & demand dictate the market place for these other occupations.
    What makes taxis so special?

Yes its tough for them, at the moment, but in my view a person that becomes unemployed in 2010 has every bit as much of a right to try their hand at earning a living by driving a taxi as someone that became unemployed in 2009, 2008 etc.
    We are not limiting building occupations just because we currently have far more people with trades etc. than are currently needed.

Its only a few years since taxis treated the public like dirt and it was impossible to find a taxi on a weekend night.
    Now Ireland is like every other country and one can get a taxi when one needs one and that is the way it should be.

In my view there should be no limit on numbers and just like everything else let supply & demand dictate rather than legislation.
    Therefore I simply would let them go on strike and not give in to their bully boy tactics.

Am I missing something or do others agree?

Taxi Strike Sympathy Level 301 votes

Lots of sympathy with taxi owners
    0% 0 votes
    Some sympathy with taxi owners
    6% 20 votes
    No Sympathy with taxi owners
    16% 50 votes
    Creeps!
    76% 231 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Now this should be interesting.
    PS I agree with you 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

logonmar wrote: »
    According to RTE taxis are threatening to go on strike as from 18th March.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0310/taxi.html

Am I missing something as taxi groupings & unions continually go on, and on, about limiting the number of taxi licences.
    There is no limit on carpenters, bus drivers, plumbers, shop owners or most other occupations and, for the most part, it is simply a case that supply & demand dictates
    What makes taxis so special?

Taxi driving is a small business model, its NOT a company employing plumbers / electricans / carpenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

**** them.

Many a night ive had to walk home from town because the c u next tuesdays wana pick up a skirt instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I Was VB wrote: »
    Taxi driving is a small business model, its NOT a company employing plumbers / electricans / carpenters.

I would have imagined that most plumbers / electricians / carpenters were self-employed, just like taxi-drivers....

I assume that's the point that was trying to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

All I know is that 5 years ago it was impossible to get a taxi and now the place is awash with them, nice and cheap too!

It's great!!

They can feck off with this protest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The problem is that many people in Ireland only know taxi driving as a lucrative number with cherry-picked hours which is a a leftover from the monopoly days whereas in most other counties, it's not viewed as (with no disrespect to drivers) such.

I've every sympathy for anybody that's trying to turn a wage in a saturated market but trying to strong-arm us back to the days of the monopoly should not be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Intersting that they are threatening to go on strike the day after Paddy's Day. Call me a cynic but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im a chef and business has gone shite but you dont see me out pouring buckets of gravy on the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Mark200 wrote: »
    I would have imagined that most plumbers / electricians / carpenters were self-employed, just like taxi-drivers....

I assume that's the point that was trying to be made.

I dont think there is any hard evidence to suggest one way or another, but IMO there is more trades people working for a company that are self employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Theres no min standards of vehicle or driver etc so it;s a bit of a race to the bottom. In order for drivers to be able to afford to upgrade their car and provide a professional service they need to be able to make a decent revenue. Most of them arent very professional though even when the market was booming. If the regulator made the licence more expensive and said cars must be of a minimum certain standard and drivers be trained to certain level of safety,customer service etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

All they do is p!ss the public off. It seems like they strike every month to me.

Fair points being made about years ago & no taxi's around, not getting picked up because you're not a skirt etc....

It's bitting many of them back & they're not liking it.

You know if I was a Taxi driver I'd be chancing my arm everywhere. If I seen people waiting on a bus & I was heading towards town I'd stop & offer to take 4 of them for €2-3 a head. I reckon you'd get plenty of takers.

I'd respect a Taxi driver if he did that instead of moan about no work. I reckon the ones not moaning or striking are the ones being smart :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I voted "Some Sympathy" as the Government fcuked up their industry.

One minute they were protecting people who had a monopoly and almost a cartel going. I know people who for instance, sold their Taxi plates for £75,000 Punt back in the 90's.

People screamed for this madness to end and then they turned the whole thing on it's head with deregulation and so any fool with banger and five grand could get into the business.

It should have been protected with a 'sensible cap' on the amount of Taxis on our streets and more stringent controls on who could qualify for a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Agreed, the Gardai need to get the thumb out. If this were a march, fine, it takes x amount of time to pass down OConnell St.
    The blocking of the main thoroughfare is nothing less than blackmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

pithater1 wrote: »
    Intersting that they are threatening to go on strike the dayafter Paddy's Day. Call me a cynic but...

and after a rugby weekend.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Nevore wrote: »
    Agreed, the Gardai need to get the thumb out. If this were a march, fine, it takes x amount of time to pass down OConnell St.
    The blocking of the main thoroughfare is nothing less than blackmail.

i got on the 16 at parnell square yesterday at 17.10 and arrived in harolds cross at 18.40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Lets the idiots strike, there will always be some hard working immigrant to take you home. My car was in for repairs for 2 days last week, phoned a taxi company and they sent an Irish guy out, spouted ****e the whole trip, when I needed him again a couple hours last he didn't answer his phone. Phoned another taxi company who sent out an African driver, nice guy no ****e, got his card and answered each and every call, used him a half dozen times over the 2 days.

Taxi drivers are complete idiots thinking a strike will help their cause, there will always be somebody who will fill their space. Again LOL at self employed idiots on strike :D

Theres no min standards of vehicle or driver etc so it;s a bit of a race to the bottom. In order for drivers to be able to afford to upgrade their car and provide a professional service they need to be able to make a decent revenue. Most of them arent very professional though even when the market was booming. If the regulator made the licence more expensive and said cars must be of a minimum certain standard and drivers be trained to certain level of safety,customer service etc.

Yeah but isn't the new 9 year old car rule what they're also p!ssed about & the licence fee? I would be upset if my licence was normally €3 a year to renew & then it took a jump to €200. That's crazy.

I won't touch or go near an old Taxi. Especially if the guy is driving a white Jap import Carina from the mid 90's. That's just not good.

Instead of the 9 year rule I think they should have a similar test to the NCT for Taxi's but more focused on the over all condition. The car should be up to scratch. Clean. Well maintained etc.

I have a '95 BMW 740i & it would make a great taxi (except for the fuel costs)
    There's many nice old Mercs on the ranks & i've no problem with them being old because they're always in great condition, well looked after & more comfortable that many of the newer cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

I wish nothing but ill fortune toward the racist peasants.

Those three apartments in bulgaria aint looking to good now are they boys............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Fixed for ya.
    Seriously ,nearly everyone in the country thinks thye are being screwed when things have a lot further down to go! The economy is actually in much worse shape than the headline figures would lead ya to beleive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Let them strike by all means but if they decide to block off O'Connoll Street again they may well expect some folks to take a hammer to their roadblocks.

barochoc wrote: »
    Yeah but isn't the new 9 year old car rule what they're also p!ssed about & the licence fee? I would be upset if my licence was normally €3 a year to renew & then it took a jump to €200. That's crazy.

I won't touch or go near an old Taxi. Especially if the guy is driving a white Jap import Carina from the mid 90's. That's just not good.

Instead of the 9 year rule I think they should have a similar test to the NCT for Taxi's but more focused on the over all condition. The car should be up to scratch. Clean. Well maintained etc.

I have a '95 BMW 740i & it would make a great taxi (except for the fuel costs)
    There's many nice old Mercs on the ranks & i've no problem with them being old because they're always in great condition, well looked after & more comfortable that many of the newer cars!
    That's a good point. I never thought of that. It'd need to be a pretty stringent test though, and every 6 months or a year, otherwise it'd just be put into a valet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

pithater1 wrote: »
    Intersting that they are threatening to go on strike the day after Paddy's Day. Call me a cynic but...
    While I do see your point, if they went on strike for Paddy's Day a lot of people would be shouting that they had no sympathy for the ordinary punter who now couldn't go for a few drinks that night for fear they would have no way home, that they were being unpatriotic, etc. etc. :)

That's why the Gardai need large riot trucks with rams on the front. They could have warned the drivers & given them time to move on. If they didn't move the car would be destroyed by the truck or at least smashed up. Their insurance will be null & void as they knowingly could have prevented the collision but decided to stand their ground.

Game over! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

No sympathy, they are just like any other business. If they are not making a living from it they should give up. And before someone replys with "they would if they could but there is no jobs" Welcome to Ireland 2010, lots of much more skilled people than taxi drivers are in the queue for the dole so suck it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Let these self-serving idiots go on strike.
    I hate their attitude both on and off the road.

They can't be expecting to rake in a load of money for a job that requires no education nor skills beyond a simple driving license and a sat nav system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Striking the day after St. Patrick's Day is a total joke.

they won't strike on that day, why? because they can make a mint with all the visitors and locals out for a few bevvies etc. The day after.... hangovers, no money etc. so what are they losing? Nada.

Except they are causing mayhem to those of us who may not have a hangover and actually need to go to work on the 18th.

If the Road Traffic Acts are broken, or if clamping is done to me for stopping/driving on a bus/yellow line etc. then it should apply to them. OK they have been given the softly softly approach up to now, but enough is enough. We the citizens of Dublin do not need or appreciate the taxi drivers stopping us going about our daily business. The law is the law.

Unfortunately, there is a cohort of taxi drivers (not all, most are fine), who are terribly militant, and the crowd that wear track suit tops are the worst. They intimidate, not only the general public, but their fellow workers aswell. Terrible carry on.

It needs to be stopped now. They are doing themselves no favours.

There should be a taxi driver association for those who do not support the awful militant track suit top wearing, intimidating group. They are tarring the names of all those other taxi drivers who are decent, hard working folk.

The above intimidators seem to get away with anything. I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I remember a similar protest last year, they were picketing and if they saw any taxi drivers working they went to their cars and hurled abuse. I don't have any sympathy for the protesting numptys, I have sympathy for the normal hard working taxi driver who just wants to make a living. Its not fair to tar them all just because of a few pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

No sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Outrage

You gotta admire their solidarity. Other sectors of the economy would kill for the taxi drivers' ability to come together and protect their interests. (just like everyone else in the economy does - you'd be a fool not to protect your own interests).

Outrage wrote: »
    You gotta admire their solidarity. Other sectors of the economy would kill for the taxi drivers' ability to come together and protect their interests. (just like everyone else in the economy does - you'd be a fool not to protect your own interests).
    Only one of the representative groups is striking I thought.

Nevore wrote: »
    Only one of the representative groups is striking I thought.

You wouldn't see a bunch of carpenters blocking the LUAS: they're men of principle who'd sooner emigrate than stand up for their family's livelihood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There'll be plenty of immigrant taxi drivers to take me home while these whiging cnuts are on strike. That suits me fine as I really don't need to be listening to the racist rantings of your average Irish taxi driver after a night out.

You wouldn't see a bunch of carpenters blocking the LUAS: they're men of principle who'd sooner emigrate than stand up for their family's livelihood.
    No, I meant it more that they're not all coming together. (lol) Maybe they are.

Why do drivers have to pay to keep a Taxi Regulator in prime location offices on Fitzwilliam Square? Is an office block in Blanchardstown beneath her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

As someone who's dad has just had to sell his house and move in with his daughter beause he couldn't afford his mortgage when working 70 hour weeks, I have enormous sympathy for taxi drivers.

My father is not striking. He is not a racist, nor does he discriminate who he picks up. He is simply a hard working man who is being screwed by a fcuked up system. The regulator introduces new rules about taxis whereby despite the roadworthiness of a machine, if it s too old it's off the road. As a taximan, you haven't a hope of geting a loan for a new motor.

I fully appreciate some taximen are pricks. Most are hard working, decent people.

A lot of people are worse off. I appreciate that. I'd ask some of you to appreciate that a job does not define a persons character. As such, fcuk off with your ignorant generalisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Rofl, self employed people going on strike! Good game taxi drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

"striking?" is a joke... surely they are hurting only their own pockets.... duh self employed.... "not workey no payeee" I see loads of taxi men in my own line of work, who seem not to be short of a bob or two (I work in a bookies) not sayin every taxi man is a gambler, but in my short experience there seems to be a lot of them who are and spend a whole lot of money that myself and my hubby would not have as expendable income.

Where I come from in the UK, the taxi's are regulated, now some of the rules are a bit crap, like the car has to be no more than three years old, I think five is a bit more fair, all drivers are supposed to be well dressed, if a customer complains to the local council regarding attitude or presentation of the vehicle the driver can be fined and maybe lose his taxi licence, if found in the customers favour. I've been in a few taxi's in my time here and personally i'd be ashamed if it was my own car, how dare they charge me crazy prices for short distances to sit in a vehicle which is barely sittable! (not a real word I know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭__________

im a chef and business has gone shite but you dont see me out pouring buckets of gravy on the road

Yeah same here like I work for a newspaper and you don't see me throwing loads of newspapers all over the place in protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

__________ wrote: »
    Yeah same here like I work for a newspaper and you don't see me throwing loads of newspapers all over the place in protest

I lay Tarmac for a living, you don't see me .. .. no, wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I don't see why they should be any different from any other market. Supply & demand, and all that......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The regulator introduces new rules about taxis whereby despite the roadworthiness of a machine, if it s too old it's off the road. As a taximan, you haven't a hope of geting a loan for a new motor.

If its so bad out there, how come there are many newish taxi's with '08 & '09 plates?
    Obviously, some drivers are doing ok to afford these nice big cars.
    OutlawPete wrote:

I work in computers for a living. You don't see me throwing my mouse and keyboard on the street in protest! :D

Personally, I wouldn't be self-employed unless I was earning at least €100k a year. It's not worth it otherwise. You've paperwork, taxation, regulation, insurance, etc. to deal with. A 9-5er on €40 to €50k is more valuable. And yes, there was a time when taxi drivers were earning €100k a year.

gurramok wrote: »
    I work in computers for a living. You don't see me throwing my mouse and keyboard on the street in protest! :D

translation: I'd sooner emigrate with my tail between my legs than protect my own interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

OutlawPete wrote: »

Some some people 'round my way said some pretty nasty things about your type, maybe you can come strike around here ?

(rubs hands in glee), nice one, that will get the potholes sorted

translation: I'd sooner emigrate with my tail between my legs than protect my own interests.

What do i do if my job is under threat due to a downturn in business?

Go on strike blocking O'Connell st?

gurramok wrote: »
    If its so bad out there, how come there are many newish taxi's with '08 & '09 plates?

You obviously have no clue how hire purchase operates. Say I'm in the business in 2003 and business is booming. I decide to walk down to my local friendly garage owner and enquire about a new Skoda Octavia. He says it's €25k new - I say there's no way I can afford that! Next he brings me into his office and says I can have the car for a mere €400 a month over 5 years. And sure at the end of that 5 years, you can sign another agreement to get a new 07/08 D for €400 a month.

At the end of the 5 years, you still owe a lump sum (€8 to €10k depending on the model) - you have no option but to continue the hire purchase agreement. The guys in the 07/08 Ds are screwed tightly. Often they let on that they're doing well to their friends/families: keeping-up-appearances if you will.

Yes, there are a couple of plonkers who've used their redundancy money/inheritence to get into the taxi business. The guy who drives round in that 06 Bentley (and he's not a Michael O'Leary head) is a total idiot. It's a charitable chauffeur service he's running.

You obviously have no clue how hire purchase operates. Say I'm in the business in 2003 and business is booming. I decide to walk down to my local friendly garage owner and enquire about a new Skoda Octavia. He says it's €25k new - I say there's no way I can afford that! Next he brings me into his office and says I can have the car for a mere €400 a month over 5 years. And sure at the end of that 5 years, you can sign another agreement to get a new 07/08 D for €400 a month.

At the end of the 5 years, you still owe a lump sum (€8 to €10k depending on the model) - you have no option but to continue the hire purchase agreement. The guys in the 07/08 Ds are screwed tightly. Often they let on that they're doing well to their friends/families: keeping-up-appearances if you will.

Thats his problem for entering a HP agreement to pay off a 'continuous' debt on an expensive car, not the publics problem. Plenty of 2nd hand cars per the new regulations available but no, the taxi driver opted for the expensive option.

Still no right to block streets to make everyone else suffer for his bad decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Dublin bus could make a killing by putting in some extra night link services..

I usually only get a nightlink anyway.. Can munch down my burger and listen to my mp3.. Not some know it all spouting on about crap to me!!

Actually i have the ultimate idea.. Im gonna rent a tow truck and wait for one of those stupid Cnuts to block up a street and start hauling the fu*kers cars in!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dublin bus could make a killing by putting in some extra night link services..
    !

Not even Nite Link, just plain night bus services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement