Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Strike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As someone who's dad has just had to sell his house and move in with his daughter beause he couldn't afford his mortgage when working 70 hour weeks, I have enormous sympathy for taxi drivers.

My father is not striking. He is not a racist, nor does he discriminate who he picks up. He is simply a hard working man who is being screwed by a fcuked up system. The regulator introduces new rules about taxis whereby despite the roadworthiness of a machine, if it s too old it's off the road. As a taximan, you haven't a hope of geting a loan for a new motor.

I fully appreciate some taximen are pricks. Most are hard working, decent people.

A lot of people are worse off. I appreciate that. I'd ask some of you to appreciate that a job does not define a persons character. As such, fcuk off with your ignorant generalisations.

And this is way I've some sympathy for taxi driver's.

Because the Gresham mafia (at a guess I'd say very max 80-100 taxi's) decided the block O'Connell St I'm not stupid or ignorant enough to call the other 20 odd thousand driver's scumbags or anything else.

People don't see the bigger picture, whats happened in the taxi industry is the result of another FF quango fuck up (the taxi regulator). Its leading to huge financial losses and temper's are boiling over.

I don't agree with a lot of their tactics in striking/protesting, and whilst its effecting the Joe Public and gaining little sympathy the strikes/protests are certainly effective in so far as people will eventually look to the Taxi Regulator & FF/Greens to do something to address the issues and get the city moving again.

The strikes/protests are also effective in so far as people are talking about them, they've made people aware that there are serious issues in the industry and show's further flaws in another FF/Green quango which is costing us (Joe Public) a small fortune.

Thats my take on it anyway, I could be wrong..

Now about throwing things down on the road, where's my bleed'n hand grenade :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They can strike all they want as far as i can see no matter how justified their grievances. Its blocking the streets to the public that gets my ire. For their own sake, they better not repeat yesterdays bully tactics on Mar 18th. The Garda riot squad should use force to move them if they do.

Like the Luas could not even travel to Abbey st. Spare a thought for those workers who were tired after a hard days work trying the get home finding they have to walk the extra bit just to catch a Luas/bus if it comes. Its disgraceful.

gurramok wrote: »
    They can strike all they want as far as i can see no matter how justified their grievances. Its blocking the streets to the public that gets my ire. For their own sake, they better not repeat yesterdays bully tactics on Mar 18th. The Garda riot squad should use force to move them if they do.

Like the Luas could not even travel to Abbey st. Spare a thought for those workers who were tired after a hard days work trying the get home finding they have to walk the extra bit just to catch a Luas/bus if it comes. Its disgraceful.

Baton charging Irish strikers will never sit comfortably in this country, we're not talking about hippies at Rossport or Celtic jersey republics here.

Baton charge striking Irish men & women on O'Connell St. at your peril!.

Baton charging Irish strikers will never sit comfortably in this country, we're not talking about hippies at Rossport or Celtic jersey republics here.

Baton charge striking Irish men & women on O'Connell St. at your peril!.

When was the last time strikers blockaded streets affecting the public? 1913? :D

The French police had a good idea for the truckers who blockaded their ports a few yrs ago, smashing their vehicles and dragging off the strikers to the cells was good.

Of course if they did not blockade streets, there would be no need for AGS to do a Mayday on them. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

The guards should have just clamped the taxis when the drivers were getting their pictures taken for the newspapers etc. A nice peaceful solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

All Taxi drives/unions ever go on about is what the want/don't want, not what they can give in return. For starters, some nice things for the taxi drives union to commit to in exchange for a moratorium of issuing licences would be:
    • Set a max age limit on cars
    • Set a standard type of car which can be used as a cab i.e. saloon/hatch of minimum size
    • Set standards as to how vehicles should be kept and ensure members (i.e. drives) stick to the standards. This should be monitored.
    • Agree to standards of personal hygiene
    • Uniform shirts/polo shirts for drives to agree to uphold these new standards
    • All drives, new and existing, should pass a 'knowledge' style test. i am sick of paying a fortune AND having to provide directions
    • Proficiency in the English language
    • Above all, Pride in their profession

There are more but until drivers being to have pride in what they do, have a certain amount of self and peer regulation, and provide a good service they will never get public backing

All Taxi drives/unions ever go on about is what the want/don't want, not what they can give in return. For starters, some nice things for the taxi drives union to commit to in exchange for a moratorium of issuing licences would be:
    • Set a standard type of car which can be used as a cab i.e. saloon/hatch of minimum size
    • Set standards as to how vehicles should be kept and ensure members (i.e. drives) stick to the standards. This should be monitored.
    • All drives, new and existing, should pass a 'knowledge' style test. i am sick of paying a fortune AND having to provide directions

There are more but until drivers being to have pride in what they do, have a certain amount of self and peer regulation, and provide a good service they will never get public backing

A lot of this is answered in the Taxi Regulators site;
    Can you explain in simple terms, the 9 year age limit for NEW taxi and hackney licences from 1st January 2009?
    For new taxi and hackney licence applications there are some additional licensing conditions that relate to the fitness for purpose of the vehicle that will be checked as part of the new licence application administration process. These are:

1. Vehicle Age: less than 9 years of age at application
    2. Basic Vehicle Size: 420 litres luggage capacity capable of accommodating a folded wheelchair and capable of seating 4 adults in comfort.
    The SPSV Skills Development Programme
    The Commission recognises the key role that SPSVs play in the delivery of a first-class, professional public transport service. The Official Manual for Operating in the SPSV Industry and accompanying DVD have been produced by the Commission for Taxi Regulation to help you develop the skills needed to operate successfully in the industry. It will be of benefit to both new entrants and those already in the industry. In this manual and DVD, new applicants and existing SPSV operators will find up-to-date information on the standards and regulations that apply in the SPSV industry and useful guidelines for the development and maintenance of a professional service to the travelling public.

If you already possess an SPSV driver licence, you will be required to take the test when you renew your licence over the next few years. SPSV operators undoubtedly do a difficult and demanding job in which they are constantly challenged and tested. The Commission believes that the knowledge acquired through the Skills Development Programme will support them in dealing with some of these challenges, and make their job somewhat easier and more enjoyable.

Suitable car's.
    Does my vehicle have to undergo an annual suitability style inspection?
    Yes. Since January 4th 2010 a Licence Renewal Assessment (LRA) must be carried out as part of the renewal process. This is a predominantly visual condition check along with inspection of key suitability items, e.g. presence of ramps in wheelchair accessible taxis and the mandatory safety equipment in all vehicles etc. This is being carried out on an advisory basis initially but passing this assessment on renewal will become a condition of licensing from April
    6th 2010.

I can't believe with the amount of taxi threads in AH over the years that people are still ignorant of where to look for this information, and can only make the presumption that people are simply mouthing off and not reading the links provided.

I'm not sure if there's a dress code for drivers, its not something which would bother me in the slightest to be honest.

I'd rather a driver, Irish or foreign to have a checkable criminal background for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Outrage

Thats his problem for entering a HP agreement to pay off a 'continuous' debt on an expensive car, not the publics problem. Plenty of 2nd hand cars per the new regulations available but no, the taxi driver opted for the expensive option.

Of course the banks had nothing to do with it: firing money off to people in the middle of a boom with no checks and incahoots with the big auto manufacturers. Not only do drivers have to pay for their car, but they have to give their pound of flesh too in the form of exhorbitant interest rates and feudal hire purchase agreements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Nevore wrote: »
    Agreed, the Gardai need to get the thumb out. If this were a march, fine, it takes x amount of time to pass down OConnell St.
    The blocking of the main thoroughfare is nothing less than blackmail.

Their strike is irony at its best, they are protesting as they can't make a living yet they have been protesting this week and plan to go all out next week....hmmm hows that going to help the wages lads :rolleyes:

One thing I did notice the other day was whilst all the old school taxi drivers were sitting around scratching their swiss, all the non-national taxi lads were cleaning up as far as I could see!

• Advertisement

Outrage wrote: »
    Of course the banks had nothing to do with it: firing money off to people in the middle of a boom with no checks and incahoots with the big auto manufacturers. Not only do drivers have to pay for their car, but they have to give their pound of flesh too in the form of exhorbitant interest rates and feudal hire purchase agreements.

They signed their name on the dotted line to take out expensive credit, not one banker put a gun to their heads to force them to take out that credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Using their indicators appropriately, not constantly breaking red lights and swerving in front of other vehicles would be great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Although I don't think the banks are totally innocent, I think it's ridiculous to talk about interest rates and hire purchase agreements as if the customer was never told about them before entering into the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Bloody taxi drivers whinging again. Typical.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Using their indicators appropriately, not constantly breaking red lights and swerving in front of other vehicles would be great too.

aka learning to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

yeah bleedin' chiropodists were minting it the next day, robbin' scum them foot doctors is

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They signed their name on the dotted line to take out expensive credit, not one banker put a gun to their heads to force them to take out that credit.

Fully agree, yes there is some responsibility on banks on how they acted but there is a equal amount on the average joe on the street.

If you are getting loans from banks then you are likely over 18, if your over 18 then you are an adult and will be treated like one.

If however your dumb enough to spend beyond your means for whatever reason then thats your fault for lack of self control, if your earning say 50k a year but spending 100k a year then the numbers don't add it....its bloody obvious.

No guns were held to heads, its childish for people to not admit that they did not play a part in all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I don't like to tar all taxi drivers with the same brush, and I'm sure there are a lot of decent, hard working drivers out there, but somehow I always seem to get the racist, arrogant ba****ds!

I got a taxi into O'Connell St this morning, the (Irish) driver spent the entire journey moaning about the government and how hard it was to earn a living. I prefer not to get involved so was reading the paper, barely acknowledging what he was saying when he started telling me about the strike on the 18th. He got more and more worked up about Nigerian drivers (his words, not mine), most of whom didn't have licences, shared licences with friends etc etc, that wouldn't respect the strike. He said that any of those drivers who were stupid enough to drive down O'Connell street when he was blockading there would "get a battering" and would "need their windscreen insurance"!!?!?!?!

Then as I was getting out of the taxi he told me that if I was getting a taxi to work on the 18th at around the same time (it was before 7am) that he would be available to drive me in on his way to the blockade and tried to give me his card!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

^ haha.

The problem I have is that these people are going on about how hard it is to earn a living! Well you shouldnt have dropped out of school when you were 16 then!

Everyone else that completed the school and college etc and who is also having financial difficulties are trying to broaden and expand themselves. These boys are just basically saying they wanna do the same job, sittin on their arses drivin people around AND get the same wages that someone with more qualifications is getting!

Wheres the logic in that??

The whole point of these strikes is to decrease competition so they can make their job even easier! IF you want more money, change profession!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd rather a driver, Irish or foreign to have a checkable criminal background for instance.
    can't find a link to stats on how many taxi license applicants had criminal records

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/S/0173/S.0173.200306110009.html
    The Irish Times reported some time ago that 129 attacks were made on members of the public travelling in taxis and that one in five taxi drivers had a criminal record.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/100-banned-taxi-drivers-potential-threat-113574.html ALMOST 100 taxi drivers have been banned from operating in the industry in the past three years because they are a potential threat to the public, official Garda figures have confirmed.

I have no problem with the taxi drivers marching down O'Connell Street ( if they get the appropiate approval )
    There is no problem with them demonstrating on the path as long as they don't block it.

And if taxi drivers want to block O'Connell Street, then there is no need for confrontation. Guard asks taxi driver to move, if taxi driver doesn't move then take photograph and issue points.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/driving_offences.php
    Failure to comply with signals given by Garda 1 / 3 points

Driving without reasonable consideration 2 / 4 points

Failure to obey traffic lights or to stop at traffic sign adjacent to such lights 2 /5 points
    does this include the green light ?? ;)

Using vehicle with no directional indicators 1 / 3 points
    If you are using hazards you have no directional indicators :mad:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0098.html
    98.—(1) A person shall not do any act (whether of commission or omission) which causes or is likely to cause traffic through any public place to be obstructed.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(3) Where a person is charged with an offence under this section, it shall be a good defence to the charge for him to show that there was lawful authority for the act complained of or that it was due to unavoidable accident.

Not all taxi drivers are as bad as people like to make out , BUT most days I see taxi drivers do stuff that would get them pulled over in other countries.

Out of curiosity do taxi's have to use bus lanes when they are travelling slower than other traffic ?
    When they are driving in the middle lane of the Lucan Bypass at 5kmph less than everyone else, should they have to move TWO lanes to the left OR is it OK for them to force people into the rightmost lane as undertaking in the empty left lane is illegal ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You wouldn't see a bunch of carpenters blocking the LUAS: they're men of principle who'd sooner emigrate than stand up for their family's livelihood.
    Ah this post explains a lot.

What would be the point in carpenters blocking the LUAS if there isn't enough work to go around ???

But somehow Taxi drivers are entitled to a continued income even if there is less work around ???

Sorry it don't work that way, and pissing off your customers isn't the way to get extra business. If you feel hard done by because of the regulator then don't take it out on the general public.

It's a shame that a minority of Taxi drivers have tarnished the rest.

nibtrix wrote: »
    I don't like to tar all taxi drivers with the same brush, and I'm sure there are a lot of decent, hard working drivers out there, but somehow I always seem to get the racist, arrogant ba****ds!

I got a taxi into O'Connell St this morning, the (Irish) driver spent the entire journey moaning about the government and how hard it was to earn a living. I prefer not to get involved so was reading the paper, barely acknowledging what he was saying when he started telling me about the strike on the 18th. He got more and more worked up about Nigerian drivers (his words, not mine), most of whom didn't have licences, shared licences with friends etc etc, that wouldn't respect the strike. He said that any of those drivers who were stupid enough to drive down O'Connell street when he was blockading there would "get a battering" and would "need their windscreen insurance"!!?!?!?!

Then as I was getting out of the taxi he told me that if I was getting a taxi to work on the 18th at around the same time (it was before 7am) that he would be available to drive me in on his way to the blockade and tried to give me his card!:eek:

That'd fit right in with KKs view that he should use more business sense then by giving you his card :cool:

The_B_Man wrote: »
    ^ haha.

The problem I have is that these people are going on about how hard it is to earn a living! Well you shouldnt have dropped out of school when you were 16 then!

Everyone else that completed the school and college etc and who is also having financial difficulties are trying to broaden and expand themselves. These boys are just basically saying they wanna do the same job, sittin on their arses drivin people around AND get the same wages that someone with more qualifications is getting!

Wheres the logic in that??

The whole point of these strikes is to decrease competition so they can make their job even easier! IF you want more money, change profession!

I didn't drop out of skool, thought that might be the view posted sooner or later, sad how stereotyping rears up yet again. If it was stereotyping based on race or religion I wonder how the PC brigade would react?

somehow I always seem to get the racist, arrogant ba****ds!

I got a taxi into O'Connell St this morning, the (Irish) driver

Your first mistake!..

Don't ever take a taxi from the Gresham rank (sorry I'm assuming this is where you took the cab)!.

I thought most Dub's knew that, its a horrible, awful place packed full of dirtbags (or at least thats my experience of the guys working there).

In the last few years if I'm taking a cab from town it won't be from here.

And depending on my mood if I get a driver on a rant, I'll either wind him up about "Dem bleed'n Nigerians" or tell the guy I'm not interested, but I wouldn't be ignorant about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I didn't drop out of skool, thought that might be the view posted sooner or later, sad how stereotyping rears up yet again. If it was stereotyping based on race or religion I wonder how the PC brigade would react?

Was just wondering what the PC Brigade was so i googled it: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PC%20Brigade

PC Brigade
    (Noun) (Abbr. Political Correctness Brigade) (Chiefly British)

A smug, knee-jerk, ill-defined catch-all word that is overused by closet racists, sexists, homophobes and bigots to describe anyone who dares to challenge their hate speech with the values of respect and common human decency.

LOL:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He got more and more worked up about Nigerian drivers (his words, not mine), most of whom didn't have licences, shared licences with friends etc etc, that wouldn't respect the strike. He said that any of those drivers who were stupid enough to drive down O'Connell street when he was blockading there would "get a battering" and would "need their windscreen insurance"!!?!?!?!

So its ok for him to ignore the strike but not others? Makes sense to me
    :rolleyes:

Spook_ie, since your busy reading this thread can we perhaps have your comments on the above since your a taxi driver? Also care to comment on Capt'n Midnight's posts?

Or would you rather just selectively answer stuff by nit picking instead of answering stuff that are actual issues?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You must have been at the dentist the day they taught how to spell School .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Your first mistake!..

Don't ever take a taxi from the Gresham rank (sorry I'm assuming this is where you took the cab)!.

I was going into O'Connell Street, not from it. I hailed the taxi on the side of the road. The driver was good enough to tell me that I was what he'd call a "UFO".

I was starting to get offended and worrying that I hadn't looked in the mirror that morning when he explained that "no-one hails taxi's on the road anymore". Gotta love those sweeping generalisations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

And this is way I've some sympathy for taxi driver's.

People don't see the bigger picture, whats happened in the taxi industry is the result of another FF quango fuck up (the taxi regulator). Its leading to huge financial losses and temper's are boiling over.

What people seem to forget is how this whole issue came about and developed into the free for all that it is today.

I can't remember the exact details but it stems from the time that the entire industry was a happy monopoly with the unfortunate side-effect that you could never get a taxi.
    The Minister at the time wanted to introduce a number of extra licences (150 I think) but the Taxi representatives refused to budge on it and decided to take the issue to Court themselves to prevent the Minister from issuing the proposed licences. Unfortunately for them they lost big time when the Judge ruled against them and decreed that it was actually unconstitutional/illegal to have any restriction on the number of licences issued. Hence, literally overnight, their own greed and short-sightedness destroyed their little cartel.
    They have nobody to blame for this but themselves and the very same Unions that supposedly 'protect their interests'.

I'm not a Taxi Driver basher by the way and do have some sympathy for most of them. Like every profession you meet good and bad ones regardless of their race/colour/religion/sporting allegiances/political views etc. There should however be a test such as 'The Knowledge' and nobody should be allowed to drive a Taxi without it despite Sat-navs or whatever. Cleanliness, of both the car and the driver, should be sacrosanct - no excuses - and I don't particularly agree with the 9 year rule as there's plenty of decent cars that are older and plenty of manky ones that are newer.
    Their pricing is way off the mark as well. In any European city you can hop in a cab across town for 2/3/4 quid for a short spin. Here you need to check your bank balance first. O Connell St to Heuston or The O2 for instance should be 3 quid. Then I wouldn't get the bus or Luas. If they're going to charge me 7/8/9 Euros for that then no, they're not going to make a living. Certainly not at my expense anyway.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Was just wondering what the PC Brigade was so i googled it: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PC%20Brigade

PC Brigade
    (Noun) (Abbr. Political Correctness Brigade) (Chiefly British)

A smug, knee-jerk, ill-defined catch-all word that is overused by closet racists, sexists, homophobes and bigots to describe anyone who dares to challenge their hate speech with the values of respect and common human decency.

LOL:D

yeah, probably defined by the PC Brigade

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »

Jeez getting desperate now on picking me up over deliberate mis-spellings, how sad!

Cabaal wrote: »
    So its ok for him to ignore the strike but not others? Makes sense to me
    :rolleyes:

Spook_ie, since your busy reading this thread can we perhaps have your comments on the above since your a taxi driver? Also care to comment on Capt'n Midnight's posts?

Or would you rather just selectively answer stuff by nit picking instead of answering stuff that are actual issues?

I will and always will gladly reply to anyone who doesn't have a closed mind and realises that the taxi industry of today is far different from that world of people queing for 5 or 6 hours on a Sat night.

I don't and never have condoned violence, I don't and never have condoned the blocking of streets by illegaly parked vehicles, I do condone and actively support the aims of getting the taxi industry off of it's knees.

As to the figures supplied about criminals having licenses, refer to this and act accordingly, the relevent section is this
    The only remaining areas to be commenced are those relating to section 36, which provides for an automatic disqualification from holding a licence on conviction of certain specified serious criminal offences. The Minister for Transport is consulting with the Commission, the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; the Courts Service, An Garda Síochána and industry representatives with a view to commencing this section.

Jaysus, what right have they to do this? Why are the Gardai not moving them on?? :mad:

Is this what to expect next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, you have to ask why the Gardai aren't doing their job and arresting them for breach of the peace. If I suffer decide to lie down in front of a LUAS because I'm pissed off, I'm fairly certain I'd be carted off in a hurry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

the taxi industry of today is far different from that world of people queing for 5 or 6 hours on a Sat night.
    Most industry's are very different to what they were then.Like has been said on every thread, almost everyone is affected financially , but not everyone is acting illegally with badly organised & ill concieved protests.
    Now seeing as you said you would answer a few questions, again I ask why should the taxi industry get protection from competition?
    Lots of company's are losing money, lots of people arn't making a wage. Why should taxi drivers deserve special treatment?
    If you don't answer I'll presume your back to picking the bits to answer again.
    I don't and never have condoned violence, I don't and never have condoned the blocking of streets by illegaly parked vehicles
    But yet you promote a site that does seem to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah here, taxi drivers' standard of general education is not a germane issue, apart altogether from the fact that it looked like a deliberate usage to me, as Spook has claimed.

I'd prefer a taxi-driver that left school without qualifications but who is a good / safe driver and knows his / her way around any day, to one with a degree in transport management who doesn't fulfill those criteria.
    Unfortunately for them they lost big time when the Judge ruled against them and decreed that it was actually unconstitutional/illegal to have any restriction on the number of licences issued.
    If that's accurate, and I remember the details only very vaguely myself, what's the point of calling for even a temporary cap on licenses? ... it's obviously something that can't be legally re-instated anyway.

Ah here, taxi drivers' standard of general education is not a germane issue, apart altogether from the fact that it looked like a deliberate usage to me, as Spook has claimed.

I'd prefer a taxi-driver that left school without qualifications but who is a good / safe driver and knows his / her way around any day, to one with a degree in transport management who doesn't fulfill those criteria.
    So would i!

It was supposed to come across light hearted.
    Obviousally the big smily face didn't work.
    It was not to offend or was not to be taken as part of the debate. Apologies if any offence was caused;)

So would i!

It was supposed to come across light hearted.
    I did realise that, dude, but it's not the first time it's been thrown out, and not as light-heartedly either ... hence my feeling the need to make the point. ;)

Most industry's are very different to what they were then.Like has been said on every thread, almost everyone is affected financially , but not everyone is acting illegally with badly organised & ill concieved protests.
    Now seeing as you said you would answer a few questions, again I ask why should the taxi industry get protection from competition?
    Lots of company's are losing money, lots of people arn't making a wage. Why should taxi drivers deserve special treatment?
    If you don't answer I'll presume your back to picking the bits to answer again.

But yet you promote a site that does seem to?

As I have often said, and as often been ignored, I want no protection other than removing the anomaly of PAYE workers being allowed to work 48 hours in a PAYE job and then being allowed to cross over to a self employed status and do a further 40 hours or however much they like in the taxi industry, infact I'll expand that further and say in any industry.

I promote a site, I sometimes administer on that site, I sometimes moderate and ban people from that site, I don't censor people too harshly for having views that are diametricly opposed to me, the relevence to my arguments being what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

As I have often said, and as often been ignored, I want no protection other than removing the anomaly of PAYE workers being allowed to work 48 hours in a PAYE job and then being allowed to cross over to a self employed status and do a further 40 hours or however much they like in the taxi industry, infact I'll expand that further and say in any industry.

Why should someone not be allowed do that ?

And if that directive had the opposite effect you would also be fighting for it yes??:rolleyes:
    You are saying what you want all the time. But you are not answering the question . Why should taxi drivers be protected from competition.
    Don't say its not about stopping part time taxi drivers. No one belives that.
    I promote a site, I sometimes administer on that site, I sometimes moderate and ban people from that site, I don't censor people too harshly for having views that are diametricly opposed to me, the relevence to my arguments being what exactly?

The relevance being you are saying you don't condone these things but you administer on a site that is allowing & promoting such activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I have no sympathy for them at all. their cute little ba***rds taxi drivers. Look at how their going on strike on the 18th. how convenient the day after paddy's day. load of oppurtunistic a**eholes. I have often had taxi's give the b***ox excuse "not going over the northside" or the "€15 fare's not worth the journey". now their moaning about the numbers of taxi's on the road. I love that, if anything there should be more of them. make them compete and get rid of the €4.10 min hailing fee sh*te make them really work like they should be. no more of this cushy early retirement i'll get a taxi plate and do a few hours if I'm not going out the weekend sh*te they're accustomed to now. only reason they should not be allowed drive a taxi is if their convicted felons.

If that's accurate, and I remember the details only very vaguely myself, what's the point of calling for even a temporary cap on licenses? ... it's obviously something that can't be legally re-instated anyway.
    Anyone like to take this one?

Why should someone not be allowed do that ?
    Remind me again why all HGV's have to carry Tachometers ?

"I shall not drive a PSV for more than 11 hours in any one day in any period of 3 consecutive days."

This should be ammended to include other types of employment too, it should say "I shall not work for more than 11 hours..."

As to the figures supplied about criminals having licenses, refer to this and act accordingly, the relevent section is this
    The only remaining areas to be commenced are those relating to section 36, which provides for an automatic disqualification from holding a licence on conviction of certain specified serious criminal offences. The Minister for Transport is consulting with the Commission, the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; the Courts Service, An Garda Síochána and industry representatives with a view to commencing this section.

Section 36 - 2003 and you are saying it's remaining to be commenced :eek:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/act/pub/0025/sec0036.html
    36.—(1) Where a person being the applicant for or the holder of a licence is convicted of any of the following offences, namely—

(a) murder,

(b) manslaughter,

(c) an offence—
    (i) under the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act 1997

(d) a sexual offence (within the meaning of section 3 of the Sex Offenders Act 2001 ),

(e) a drug trafficking offence (within the meaning of section 3 of the Criminal Justice Act 1994 ),

(f) an offence relating to money laundering under Part IV of the Criminal Justice Act 1994 ,

(g) an offence under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001 ,

(h) an offence under section 2 of the Illegal Immigrants (Trafficking) Act 2000 , or

(i) an offence under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Acts 1925 to 1990,

• Advertisement

Remind me again why all HGV's have to carry Tachometers ?

"I shall not drive a PSV for more than 11 hours in any one day in any period of 3 consecutive days."

This should be ammended to include other types of employment too, it should say "I shall not work for more than 11 hours..."

Ok this is a country where doctors do regularly work 60 hour shifts you realise with potentially zero sleep.

But thats not the issue. Fair enough the safety issue with relation to driving jobs is fair enough I see that. But why can't someone work 8 horus in their paye job and 3 hours taxiing ?
    But spookie was objecting to anyone with paye job being self employed in any industry. I want to know what the problem is ?
    As long as some one is obeying the rules of each job regards rest periods etc, then why should they not have 2, 3 or even 4 jobs if they want ?

As long as some one is obeying the rules of each job regards rest periods etc, then why should they not have 2, 3 or even 4 jobs if they want ?
    I agree . Even if there was a desire to change this, I would imagine there would be a lot of rights issues to over come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I have very little sympathy for the majority of people striking these days.

Taxi drivers are a bunch of conceited twats.
    They need to get some perspective.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/si/0817.html

If a person sitting at a desk isn't allowed work more than an average of 48 hours a week or more than 13 hours in a day then why should someone sitting at the wheel be allowed to ?

Don't get me started on the the working time directive and Junior Doctors , I can remember when they got paid LESS when they did overtime :mad:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/si/0817.html

If a person sitting at a desk isn't allowed work more than an average of 48 hours a week or more than 13 hours in a day then why should someone sitting at the wheel be allowed to ?

But that law doesn't say they can't go home and work for themselves now does it ? Its there to protect workers from being abused by their employers surely ? People are entitled to run their own business if they so chose. Maybe its and internet shop, maybe its golf pro on a saturday, maybe its taxiing. As long as they aren't breaking the rest rules whats the problem ?
    Don't get me started on the the working time directive and Junior Doctors , I can remember when they got paid LESS when they did overtime :mad:

Many aren't getting paid all of their overtime currently effectively meaning part of the work they are doing for free

• Advertisement
Advertisement