Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Magpies

Options
  • 10-03-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm having a real problem with a noisy magpie thats decided to wake me up every morning at dawn.

Any ideas on how to get rid of it??

I need some sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

doc1976 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm having a real problem with a noisy magpie thats decided to wake me up every morning at dawn.

Any ideas on how to get rid of it??

I need some sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOC

Where do you live? If you live in an area where shooting the bird is an option you might find somebody in the hunting forum that could assist you.

If you are living in the city, then you might need to get your hands on a trap. This catches the bird live, since it is a wild bird it will get very nevous and frightened easily. If you are concerned for it's welfare that is.

Poison can work too, although I do not know much about poisons or how to lay them. I am not even sure what forum you would ask in. This one probably, or the hunting one? I dunno.

I suggest you learn a little about the magpie though ;)

This site might give you a few tips, if you are interested.

I know they are territorial animals and when you catch/kill them another will take it's place soon after. You alone cannot do much about this.

We shoot them down the country and trap them in built up areas. Shooting is much more effective in my opinion, but the trap we have has caught hundreds over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Bahahahhaa I had the same problem, I ended up buying one of those artificial decoy birds that you get in like B&Q or Woodies and shoved it right out where the fecker screams... Havn't seen/heard him since :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They hate loud noise.

We trained our dog to "see them off" and when they try to settle, banging pan lids and shouting sorts them.

And if any try to settle and replace, this technique stops that too.

The local ones now stay outside our trees....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Sleep with earplugs? Sorry, I can't think of anything better!

There are loads of magpies and crows on my windowsill every morning, they perch there and then fly down to eat the cat food! They're annoying but I like watching them, they're pretty interesting. Like the crows are more cowardly but the magpies are really brave and will eat out of the same bowl as a cat!

And I got woken up by something like an owl screeching two nights ago . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Maybe the nature and Bird watching forum might be able to help you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

stevoman wrote: »
    Maybe the nature and Bird watching forum might be able to help you :)

We have one of those? :eek:

Advertisement