Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Grow Your Scene

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Yeah, I'd love to see more interest in other games and see tournaments happen with multiple games but there just doesn't seem to be much interest in anything other than SFIV. I know there has been one BB tournament and a few T6 ones but I've haven't made it to any of them.

I'd love to see tournaments or casuals happening for CVS2, 3S and TVC but I don't think there is enough interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

@ Orim yeah this is something I've been trying to figure out from the people I'd be in contact with in PSN.

I'm actually going to send them some PM's and tell them to read this thread.

Placebo wrote: »
    initial agreement was that posters and promotion was only necessary for tournaments, the cash money being the main invitation, it may attract average joe bloggs, but these could be your next cobelcog.
    However we could have a generic poster for casuals, something like 'EVERY SATURDAY' and a web address for links etc

What about a generic poster that simply advertises the 'scene' and the fact that we have one, that has tournies and casual meet ups. & points the way to these forums. A hell of a lot of people know about boards.ie. So that should help.

Orim wrote: »

Finally we need to drop the word ranbat and the numbers from our turnaments. Each tournament is an individaual one day event. It should not be named as if it is an ongoing league. I would imagine that people could be put off by those things. I mean if your outside the community, what is a ranbat?

Interesting, never really thought about it like that, I always felt the numbering scheme kinda showed they we are not a once off thing and that we're a constantly growing legit scene. Although I don't have much of an opinion regarding the term ranbat.

I missed the SF4 thing they held in that pub (which was it again? The one ken b won) But I'd say a lot of people at that might have thought to themselves "wow I hope they do this again" etc but have no idea about it. At least a numbering system shows its a regular thing. I dunno.

MegaMal wrote: »
    how about bi-Monthly casuals? pay in early, around 1 or midday and leave as late as possible because it is good just to get casuals in instead of tourneys and the tourney enviornment, i would think that people would learn more from casuals one month - tourney the next.

just my thoughts.

Welcome to the community :D We have casuals twice a week!

Regarding a tourney/event for super sf4. I think a 'new character only' tourney might be interesting for a laugh and be attractive to new people. Just an idea anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

New character tournament would be fun. That tournament was in Fibbers.

Cheers yeah, I wish I made it to that.

Oh and yeah just to add to what DooM was saying to Blag there about people thinking "Ah sure I won't win , so I won't play"

There isn't that many of us that think like that really. Not anymore anyway.

I mean anything can happen in a tourney. I'm currently only a mediocre player in this scene , but I managed to knock out both Azza and coblecog in the same tourney one time :D Although I only knocked Azza to losers and he came back to win the whole thing but yeah, just goes to show.

Only player in this community (that I've played so far , I've played very few of the dragonslayers guys) that I currently feel I've no chance against is Dreddy. I'm just a retard when it comes to gief and Dreds got a fantastic gief.

Would love to play a 1st to 30 with him and record it to try and learn some shit .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

Oh and yeah just to add to what DooM was saying to Blag there about people thinking "Ah sure I won't win , so I won't play"

There isn't that many of us that think like that really. Not anymore anyway.

The problem is that there is plenty of people of people out there that do feel like that and won't come to casuals, nevermind tournaments, because they think they won't be good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Would love to play a 1st to 30 with him and record it to try and learn some shit .:D

Sure thing, can play today if you like. I'm actually becoming more and more uncomfortable with the Ryu matchup, it's one of the reasons I think I'm dropping gief when super comes out.

You'll feel pretty happy about it after playing me, don't worry :p

Not that I want to discourage you changing your mains for super

<_<

>_>
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Orim wrote: »
    A consideration is whether or not we take into account other events that are happening?

I think we should avoid having them on the same weekend or at least have it within 2 weeks. I think to avoid having one altogether cos something else is happening around the same time is a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MegaMal

Orim, sorry i wasnt very clear in my earlier post, i meant for the players from up north to travel down to a casual session or down south ones to travel up for casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Someone brought up the use of the term "ranbat" earlier - I agree that it's probably not that good an idea, as it suggests that each tourney awards points that count towards league standings. Unless, of course, you guys want to start something like that once SSF4 hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Yreval wrote: »
    Someone brought up the use of the term "ranbat" earlier - I agree that it's probably not that good an idea, as it suggests that each tourney awards points that count towards league standings. Unless, of course, you guys want to start something like that once SSF4 hits.

And not forgetting that "RanBat" is a term that many outsiders would not know :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

RopeDrink wrote: »
    What would a snazzy, catchy, Irish SF4 Tournament Event name be...
    MEGA HYPE CONCERTO

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

MegaMal wrote: »
    Orim, sorry i wasnt very clear in my earlier post, i meant for the players from up north to travel down to a casual session or down south ones to travel up for casuals.

This.

I listened to the podcast myself it was very intresting and I think this is the starting point.

The scene in Dublin and the scene up here need to be merged, we need to play together more often, not only to become better players but to become friends with each other which corny as it sounds is more important especially at this stage.

I think the tournaments should be held monthly without fail however they should be held in Dublin one month and up here another. Then a monthly casual session for the entire community once a month also wherever the tourney isn't being held that month. That means we get together once every two weeks without costing anyone an arm and a leg or letting anyone have a ''**** going up/down there'' attitude for whatever reason.

We also need to make a big push for building the community when Super comes out, staying away from terms like RanBat is a must and we need a more approachable name for the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

T
    The scene in Dublin and the scene up here need to be merged, we need to play together more often, not only to become better players but to become friends with each other which corny as it sounds is more important especially at this stage.

Totally agree with this. I felt one of the best points of going to France was getting to know all you guys better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Jim wrote: »
    I felt one of the best points of going to France was getting to know all you guys better.

awwwww:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I will definitely be heading up for Dragonslayers events from now on. Only reason I'm not gonna make the impending one is It's so close to having got back from France but I totally agree playing with people of a higher standard is the only way to improve however depressing it is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

This.

I listened to the podcast myself it was very intresting and I think this is the starting point.

I think the tournaments should be held monthly without fail however they should be held in Dublin one month and up here another. Then a monthly casual session for the entire community once a month also wherever the tourney isn't being held that month. That means we get together once every two weeks without costing anyone an arm and a leg or letting anyone have a ''**** going up/down there'' attitude for whatever reason.

We also need to make a big push for building the community when Super comes out, staying away from terms like RanBat is a must and we need a more approachable name for the scene.

Fair play man nice to see you on here, (I chatted to you and had a few causual games with yea last time you were down here, I was the stick noob ryu player :p)

a 1 month here 1 month up there thing is a good idea. I like the idea of an All Ireland monthly tournament thing, needs a catchy name alright.

If you guys up there can have it timed so people will be able to get the bus/train home again and not have to stay over night, all the better.

An all nighter job and be hard , especially for those of us who have trouble sleeping anyway :o

You guys had a scene going up there for awhile before anything got going down here and so the dragonslayers name is established so I was always worried about suggesting a merge style thing would seem like us kinda raining on your parade. So as long as everyone is cool with the idea.

Honestly, I think the northern players are more of "The Belfast crew" than "The Dragonslayers crew".

I wouldnt have a clue, yet to make it up, I know its held in belfast but I thought there was a good few in the northern scene that were from other areas and not just belfast?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sisko wrote: »
    I wouldnt have a clue, yet to make it up, I know its held in belfast but I thought there was a good few in the northern scene that were from other areas and not just belfast?

Tidese's apparently a completely seperate sf4 scene in derry. Only cj and mike attend ds from there.

I was talking to mike- not newtype- and he should be posting here shortly to invite us to a tournament there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

Fair play man nice to see you on here, (I chatted to you and had a few causual games with yea last time you were down here, I was the stick noob ryu player :p)

Yeah I remember you man, we were in the glorious phantom playoff together :pac: I take it you've gotten better on the stick by now? You had an impressive Ryu when you were playing on the PS pad I thought.

I'm not sure if everyones cool with the merging idea as I'm fairly new to the scene up here. I was just making a suggestion. I think playing each other offline often is a must though and not always in tournament conditions also. Sometimes I want to help people with the match or their character or whatever during a tourney and have to catch myself on :p.

I dunno if the north/south thing is so much a rivalry as just living kinda far away from each other. I'm pretty sure people from both sides are willing to help out each other in whatever games they play and give advice after any match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Vyze wrote: »
    I dunno if the north/south thing is so much a rivalry
    Yar, it's the East/West thing you have to look out for. Damn Limerick bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sairus wrote: »

Bring it! :P

Get him Onion!

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Bring it! :P

Get him Onion!

I see you have 2 honda's and a couple of Bisons.

It's not Sairus you need to worry about :D

On topic, there's no rivalry between the north and south save perhaps a friendly one. Sure even before Cannes there was a multitude of posts here saying how it'd suck if we had to fight each other/ how we'd be cheering each other on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sairus wrote:
    Team Taunt was established to connect the East and West.
    It'll probably fail horribly though.
    Because we love HP+HK too much.

No way will we ever have a 'rivalry' going on here in Ireland , us Irish are way too laid back for that stuck up shite. Tinja mentioned how it kinda hurts the french scene a bit.

I deffo see joke 'hype building' rivalries though just for the craic. Leinster Munster Ulster Connaught style or something.

Thats it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I deffo see joke 'hype building' rivalries though just for the craic.

Perhaps some wrestling style story lines too!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Team Taunt was established to connect the East and West.
    It'll probably fail horribly though.
    Because we love HP+HK too much.
    Commander, we musn't give too much away. The day of reckoning will soon be upon us...

• Advertisement

In terms of unifying the north/south scene, I wonder if it would be worth having an Irish fighting game blog/website. Just a Joomla site with a calendar for all Irish events (including the weekly casuals in any venue) and posts every time there's a tournament or event either being held in Ireland or that Irish players may be interested in. YouTube vids and results could be posted there in the same way that they are on boards.ie, and links to the relevant threads on boards/Neo Empire/etc would be included in news/results posts.

I've got some cash now so I don't mind buying the space/domain name for it since the hosting costs would be pretty cheap, but would there be an interest in this? I wouldn't wanna do all the posting and moderation myself so ideally the most active members of each community would all have full rights to add/edit news items and keep the site up to date (read: I'm too lazy to do it all myself!).

If there's something like this already, let me know for being stupid. I know of eSports.ie, but dedicating something just to fighting game would let us get away with posting smaller things on a calendar like minor casual sessions and the like that wouldn't be important enough to get an eSports listing.

If people want this, let me know, and make any suggestions for what the site would need to have for you to check it fairly regularly.

Advertisement