Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptisms and primary school

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Why would she be an outcast? She'd still be family, still a neice, cousin, granddaugther ect?

of course she would!

i mean in school and with her peers. religion is so dominant in school that she will be inevitably be left out, different. (yes different is great to us adults, not so much to kids!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm not so sure, I often over-hear the kids telling people about their scottish relatives, wearing kilts, eating haggis or that they don't do X or do X instead. I think they take great pride in being a bit different. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It depends, my are glad they have the choice and they take part as they wish and is approriate, I will be with my son in the local church when his class makes thier confirmation as he wants to be there and see his friends under go something which is important for them in thier faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

of course she would!

i mean in school and with her peers. religion is so dominant in school that she will be inevitably be left out, different. (yes different is great to us adults, not so much to kids!)
    I do not agree with this point of view personally, but I can understand it through a parental concern point of view.

Simply: A system that makes a parent or a child feel different to the point of conformity for the sake of getting along? It is almost ridiculous and actually dangerous in some ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

its the complete and utter norm in her school and extended family to be raised catholic, thats why i fear that being non religious would make her the lone outcast.

This is the nub of the problem. Why is it the norm? Why do people continue to conform to something they have no intention of following through on? Is teaching your children to pretend to be something they are not good for them long term?
    If one generation of parents stopped doing this ceremony to please grandparents, assuage guilt and get children into school this "outcast" fear would be made extinct.
    What do others think? I've had this discussion with my OH and we have decided we will not be baptising our children or sending them to religious schools. I think its better for children not be part of something which the parents can't or don't want to see through. I;ve no problem with relgion, but if parents want a religious education it is not the duty of the State to provide it.
    I am amazed modern parents don't kick up a fuss about this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

of course she would!

Three of the children in my primary class were Jehovah's Witnesses and they were far from left out. They had a minor celebrity status and were much envied when they got to draw/read/complete homework while we had religion lessons or English/Irish lessons that revolved around religious stories. Although we were also a bit appalled that they couldn't get presents as that's against their religion (which isn't a concern for an atheist/agnostic child). Most of the time though they were just treated like everyone else and nobody cared that they had a different religion. Not to sound like a Benetton ad but kids don't actually care about that kind of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Depends where you live. I had no choice but the local catholic primary. My child is doing communion this year, which I think is a load of rubbish, but gave him the choice. He chose to do it, he would have been the only one left out if he hadn't. He has enough to deal with, without adding to it by making a stand. I don't want to use my child to stand up for an ideal, though I'm furious that religion is forced upon him - but since it all flies way over his head I don't think it'll matter in the long run.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'm not sure how that's a counter-point to me...I wasn't trying to suggest the issue was with only one faith. Obviously this thread is in respect to RCC baptism certs but it's certainly a wider issue with any & all non-secular schools, I agree. :) or should that be :(

Mea culpa.

It was meant as a counterpoint to the perceived "it's just one religion" view that is often aired. Not a counterpoint to you.

Advertisement