Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motorway

Options
  • 11-03-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

What's the story with all the litter on it ? Are we the filthiest nation in Europe now? Sad to see people have no pride in a new facility and seem to think they can dump their rubbish at will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Actually saw a huge back of burst rubbish on it there last week... :(
    Like most roads- it will get a rubbish bashing for a while then they will clamp down.

Have you noticed alot of tractors driving on the new stretch?
    Saw a few getting pulled over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

people should be ashamed doing that kind of thing, but then again some people have no morals, also maybe if bin charges were not so high to go with people on the dole/out of work, they could afford to pay bin charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I've moved this from the Carlow forum cause most of the new motorway is in Co Kildare.
    If you don't want it here. Move it back and I'll decide what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

Are we the filthiest nation in Europe now?

I would say yes. Have you seen the state of the N7, especially near Newlands Cross or along the Naas bypass? It's like driving through one long dump. The people who throw it are to blame, but I also see plastic escaping from rubbish trucks. And I have never, never, ever seen anyone cleaning the roadsides on national routes. The strategy seems to be to wait for the grass to grow and hide it a bit, then shred it with the mowers once a year. I don't know if it is NRA or Council responsibility - either way, shame on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 benthebeetle

would help if they put some bins at the purpose built new lay-bys. There may be some hope of them being used, i doubt it though. Drove on the M8 today and the amount of litter along the ENTIRE length of the motorway is an absolute disgrace. You would not see it in a 3rd world country. Is there no one responsible for cleaning up the lay- bys ? These new motorways are meant to be our showpiece infrastructure, one of the few positives of our so called economic boom. The state of them after only a couple of months of operation is a disgrace. What must the few tourists that still come to this country think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

i just posted my rant in the M8 thread - but might as well chime in here too.

I was disgusted by what i saw along the M8 yesterday. I have travelled all over the world - 1st, 2nd and 3rd world - and ive never seen squallor like that for an entire motorway.

Now i know things are not too rosy in this country at the moment, but Christ we need to get a bit of self respect back. Get some of the 500k on the dole off their asses and out to clean up the country. We have zero hope of recovery if the emerald isle gets the repuation as a dump.

If anyone knows who is responsible for the upkeep of the M8 - especially in relation to litter i would love to know. I will write to all parties, and local media until this mess is cleaned up. It should be done on a monthly basis, minimum, and CCTV at the the laybys in particular to catch and heavily fine offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

I just reported the entire Naas bypass on the EPA illegal dumping hotline - 1850365121.

They were were happy to take the report and promised to pursue Kildare CC. I don't know if it will have any effect, but it was therapeutic at least.

Local authorities are obliged to take action on EPA reports, so I suggest a concerted campaign of complaints to the EPA.

Advertisement