Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help on a recipe!

Options
  • 11-03-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I've found a recipe for chocolate biscuit cake that calls for condensed milk to be stirred into the melted chocolate and butter, as such:

"Put some water in the saucepan and put another bowl in the water. Break up the dark chocolate, and roughly cut up the butter, and put it in the bowl. Heat the saucepan until the butter and chocolate just melts. Take it off the heat immediately everything is melted. Add the condensed milk and stir."

Do I need to boil the can of condensed milk first, as for a banoffi pie, and then stir in, or can I just use it straight from the can??

sorry if this is a mega dumb question, Im a total baking novice! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

If the instructions say boil it, then boil it. If not, don't.

Also, wrong forum! Condensed milk is not nutritious!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the boiling of the can is to loosen it up so it pours out easily, and so it mixes a bit better. If you poured cold/chilled condensed milk into that mixture it would probably cause the butter/chocolate mixture to set.
    peepeep wrote: »
    Also, wrong forum!
    Moved from N&diet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

rubadub wrote: »
    I think the boiling of the can is to loosen it up so it pours out easily, and so it mixes a bit better.

Yeah but her instructions don't say anything about boiling the condensed milk.

Just pour it in straight from the can. There are several recipes where cold condensed milk is called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah but her instructions don't say anything about boiling the condensed milk.
    Yes, I am just giving reasons it might be said. I think it is best that people know exactly why they are doing something, and not just blindly following instructions, if people know why they do something they can come up with their own recipies or variations more easily. I have seen people doing some very odd things, not just cooking but any DIY stuff, and it is since they often read it in instructions but did not realise why they were actually doing it.

In this case the OP (total novice) could well think the condensed milk needs "cooking" or something, and could be worried the recipie omitted it or thought it should be taken for granted and so was omitted.

I remember a guy in work was horrified to see me eating thinly sliced chicken fillet strips which was "only cooked for 10mins" on a george foreman type grill. He told me chicken needs at least an hour to cook and that I was poisoning myself!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Boiling it will turn it into caramel. You use it cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

What I do for choc biscuit cake is I cool the condensed milk unitl nearly boiling and then add a spoon of golden syrup and add the broken chocolate off the hob!!!

Everyone who tasted it said it was nicer than the "raw" condensed milk!!!!

It is not a necessity though, just a choice (plus my picky mum doens't like "raw" condesned milk:rolleyes:)

Advertisement