Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy toppings for buns

Options
  • 11-03-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

I might take the lazy way out and buy some pre made buns for kids party.
    Any suggestions for some easy but very unusual or quirky toppings.
    I have a Nigella recipe that has the swirly almost plastic look for the top of muffins but perhaps a suggestion for something else not too complicated.

All else fails I'll just ice some and throw sprinkles on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I made these for a friends birthday last week. They were really easy to make (making the frosting was just like making white sauce) and tasted really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I took a look at the pre made buns in the shop and they looked so miserable, shouldn't take 10 minutes to make buns myself so will do it from scratch.
    The rose water frosting looks interesting, I've a bottle of rose water sitting in my cupboard for so long, must check the date. Could never think what to do with it.
    Got some cute bun cases as well.

I know the cake I'm making will be fine made the day before, do you rekon if I made the buns and iced them the day before would they be ok, if so what's the best way to store them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Buns should be fine made the day before, just keep them in a cool dry place, and in a tupperware container or a box or something, as long as they`re covered and not in the fridge they should be grand.

The outside of the icing might go a little hard if you leave them overnight. You could make the icing and buns, leave the buns uniced overnight and the frosting in the fridge then the next day frost them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They turned out ok, although I could of been a bit more generous with the rose water I was half afraid to add a bit more. I kinda lost patience (like I do when making white sauce) so it was a bit lumpy by own doing though.
    In general easy to make although piping it was tricky it's more of a spready type frosting. That site if fantastic though, going to try out other recipes on it.
    Not a very clear pic, sprinkled some Barbie sprinkles on top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

I've got a recipe for a topping that uses cornflour instead of ordinary flour and it holds the shape well enough to be piped

60-70 g cornflour
    3-4 tablespoons sugar
    500 ml milk
    flavourings like cocoa powder, vanilla essence, spices, instant coffee, ...
    1/2 pound unsalted butter

Mix the dry ingredients, add approx 6 spoons of the milk and stir until all is well dissolved and free of lumps. Add your flavourings and don't hold back!
    Bring the remaining milk to boil, take off the ring and stir in the cornflour mix. Put back on the ring, keep stirring, it burns easily and bring back to the boil. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool to room temperature. IT will turn quite firm. If a skin forms on top, remove it before using.

Cream the butter, add a spoonful of the cooked cornflour at a time. IMPORTANT: Butter and cornflour cream need to have the same temperature, otherwise the buttercream will curdle. If this happens gradually add some melted coconut fat or melted butter and the buttercream will come back together.

In Germany the cornflour mix is a popular dessert and your buy sachets of it with different flavourings. I suppose you'll get a similar effect with cocoa powder, essences and a bit of food colouring.

They turned out ok, although I could of been a bit more generous with the rose water I was half afraid to add a bit more. I kinda lost patience (like I do when making white sauce) so it was a bit lumpy by own doing though.
    In general easy to make although piping it was tricky it's more of a spready type frosting. That site if fantastic though, going to try out other recipes on it.
    Not a very clear pic, sprinkled some Barbie sprinkles on top.

They look good! I didn't even bother trying to pipe it, I used a knife to flick bits of the frosting out into a rose shape, which looked pretty good.

Advertisement