Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbike?

• 11-03-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how Airbike are getting on? (The motorcycle taxi service in Dublin)

Havnt heard much about them since they launched last year. I've never seen them around the airport or town either. Can't be a very good time for such a business.

Any one know or used them?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd be hesitant to get on the back of anyones bike, let alone the bike of some lad that's on the clock and in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just wondering how Airbike are getting on?

Its probably grounded. :D

I wouldn't say Joe Maxy is too pleased about this service with all the regulator commotion that is currently going on ATM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Hope the mods don't mind if I resurrect this thread to ask if anyone knows if Airbike, or any equivalent service still exists? I need to get from A to B in Dublin City in very quick time next month, and I don't think a taxi would be quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hope the mods don't mind if I resurrect this thread to ask if anyone knows if Airbike, or any equivalent service still exists? I need to get from A to B in Dublin City in very quick time next month, and I don't think a taxi would be quick enough.

No bike taxi service exists. A Dublin Bike would be your quickest option if you think a taxi will take too long.

Del2005 wrote: »
    No bike taxi service exists. A Dublin Bike would be your quickest option if you think a taxi will take too long.

Thanks for the update. I do use the Dublin Bikes a bit, but I need to have pristine appearance at the end of my journey, so it won't really be an option this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just leave earlier if you know a month in advance....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just leave earlier if you know a month in advance....

Two job interviews, one at 9am, one at 10am, neither will change the interview time. If everything goes on time, I'll have 15 minutes to get about 4k across Dublin city centre from A to B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Show your initiative and can-do attitude by getting a friend to set off the fire alarm at venue #2 a couple of minutes before your appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

braking the lights on the bicycle in the CC would probably be quicker than a motorcycle for such a spin, especially when you factor in putting on and off gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Lumen wrote: »
    Show your initiative and can-do attitude by getting a friend to set off the fire alarm at venue #2 a couple of minutes before your appointment.

Yeah and end up like these idiots.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/friend-paid-man-30-for-hoax-bomb-calls-which-shut-down-m4-disrupted-air-traffic-control-and-evacuated-intel-court-hears-31418538.html
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/exintel-employee-and-friend-arrested-over-bomb-scare-31112944.html
    No thanks!

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Big difference between a bomb alert and a fire alarm going off. Fire alarm everyone evacuates, a quick verification of no fire and all people return. Bomb alert, especially with the chemicals in Intel, and you're into a totally different scenario which is why they had to close the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

15 Minutes to get 4km across town is doable. But if the first interview goes on a bit, there is not much you can do.
    There is obviously no set time on how long an interview goes on for and it would depend on the company but I think on the morning you might have to just get a cab after #1 and hope for the best.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    braking the lights on the bicycle in the CC would probably be quicker than a motorcycle for such a spin, especially when you factor in putting on and off gear.
    I can't turn up sweaty for the 2nd one, which would be fairly inevitable with a rushed cycle.
    GBX wrote: »
    15 Minutes to get 4km across town is doable. But if the first interview goes on a bit, there is not much you can do.
    There is obviously no set time on how long an interview goes on for and it would depend on the company but I think on the morning you might have to just get a cab after #1 and hope for the best.

It will be 45 minute interview - next candidate is in at 10am. If they start promptly (as they normally would with a full day of interviewing ahead), I'll be walking out shaking hands at 9.45.

I've never taken a pillion. Maybe somebody on here could help if they are available on the day?

GBX wrote: »
    I've never taken a pillion. Maybe somebody on here could help if they are available on the day?

Even on a motorbike 4km across Dublin in 10 or less* minutes would be difficult without speeding. At least on a bicycle there's no speed limits and very little enforcement.

*The interview is scheduled to 9:45 so even if the OP ran out the door it'll be nearer 9:50 by the time they get on the bike and rocking in at exactly 10 for the 2nd interview won't impress the interviewer.

True .. I'm being optimistic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Del2005 wrote: »
    Big difference between a bomb alert and a fire alarm going off. Fire alarm everyone evacuates, a quick verification of no fire and all people return. Bomb alert, especially with the chemicals in Intel, and you're into a totally different scenario which is why they had to close the motorway.

Ask any member of the Emergency Services, what they hate the most and they'll tell you it's the little b@st@rds who make the hoax calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Make me an offer....I CAN REFUSE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Out of interest, what's the route? Even roughly if you don't want to give exact locations. Some routes favour motorcycles more than others.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Out of interest, what's the route? Even roughly if you don't want to give exact locations. Some routes favour motorcycles more than others.
    GPO to Jury's Ballsbridge - all suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

GPO to Jury's Ballsbridge - all suggestions welcome.

Even with a waiting car and clear roads you're cutting it fine.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Even with a waiting car and clear roads you're cutting it fine.

Which is why they are looking for a motorbike, even then it'll be near impossible to make the 2nd interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I can't turn up sweaty for the 2nd one, which would be fairly inevitable with a rushed cycle.

It will be 45 minute interview - next candidate is in at 10am. If they start promptly (as they normally would with a full day of interviewing ahead), I'll be walking out shaking hands at 9.45.

Fair play to you for making the effort for the interviews. If it was me, I'd just cancel one of them. Or more likely, both!

If you're stuck, I'm sure one of us could give you a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You'd make that on a bicycle, breaking the lights all the way. Bring some wipes with you in your pocket and just give yourself a quick wipe before going in. Or bring a spare shirt and change when you arrive.

It's 3km on Google maps. 3km in 10 minutes is 18km/h. If you're fit, you can easily do 25-30km/h on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, a taxi will be handy to get from there at least. If its raining, it'll be hard. No problem on a bike, pearse street has bus lane.

If it was me, I'd tell the taxi driver there's an extra tenner in it for him if he gets you there on time

Cienciano wrote: »
    pearse street has bus lane.
    though all the traffic coming the other way towards me could be a bit of a challenge?

Rent an e-bike. They do at least 15mph, are narrower than a motorbike and you won't arrive sweaty.

Treat red lights as motorcyclists treat mandatory cycle lanes. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

If they're serious about you, and with a month's notice, the second crowd could move the interview.

Or get the first crowd to swap your spot with someone else's as you said they've a full day's worth of interviewing to do.

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    If they're serious about you, and with a month's notice, the second crowd could move the interview.
    There's a certain twisted logic in both employers refusing to budge. That way they force you to pick the interview for the position you'd prefer, potentially saving them the bother of interviewing you.

On the other hand, you could treat it as a test of their reasonableness. I know someone who was massively dicked around by Facebook during the recruitment process and he's now happily working at Vodafone.

There's a slightly fashionable expression, that your employees should be prepared to "run through walls" for you. I think I'd rather such a boss did that first ("lead by example!"), but literally.

Advertisement