Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High-End Gaming Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

3240x1920

:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Everything to be honest:confused:
    I don't mean to be rude or anything but you're wasting money on bits that are useless and skimping on the important bits.

- That motherboard is about 200 euro overpriced. You would only buy it if you intended running 3 grapics cards and some serious overclocking.

- That RAM is about 130 euro overpriced. You'd only buy it if you intended INSANE overclocking. Only invest in expensive ram when you've already maxed everything else out. i.e it gives very VERY little performance boost.

Then you're skimping on the power supply (not a good idea) especially if you ever intend on upgrading - this will hold you back.

bty a 5970 is two 5870 chips on one board.
    its currently the best graphics card available and has a hefty price tag to boot (650 -750 euro).

Only consider this if you have a monitor resolution in excess of 1920x1080.
    Otherwise you're throwing your money away.

(for example a 5850 will run Crysis, GTA IV, COD, Bad company 2... Flawlessly at 1920x1080 and above - I run all my games on it at 3240x1920 without a bother)

I'm not saying don't spend your money, I'm just saying spend it so you get the most out of it.;)

+1. And a HD5870 is a bit too much for 1080p anyway - you should save it for at least a 2560*1600 or two 1080p monitors! As for a HD5970... you shouldn't even bother unless you intend running multiple 1080p (or higher!) monitors off one!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I run all my games on it at 3240x1920 without a bother

What sort of setup have you got? That's the equivalent resolution of 3 1080p Full HD displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

sink wrote: »
    What sort of setup have you got? That's the equivalent resolution of 3 1080p Full HD displays.

Its posted in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334204 second one down.:D

bty op if you were genuinely interested in spending 2000 as you say
    something more along the lines of this
    shoppingcart-1.jpg
    would be a good start.
    Though you'd have to be a VERY avid gamer to want such a setup and have deep pockets too:eek:

^ No i7-930?! Scandal!! :D

In fact if you really were going to get a HD5970 instead of a CrossFire setup you could probably get even better performance off a P55 + i7-860 build! :P

And surely there are better cases for ~€200 than an old Cosmos? finger.gif

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    ^ No i7-930?! Scandal!! :D

In fact if you really were going to get a HD5970 instead of a CrossFire setup you could probably get even better performance off a P55 + i7-860 build! :P

And surely there are better cases for ~€200 than an old Cosmos? finger.gif
    Ah but then you could never go QUADFIRE with dual 5970s.:p

Two fires are more than enough to put out as it is!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gamer_Niall

dam i haven't a clue lol thx yomamasflavour

thank you all for the replies! i'm slowly learning!!

would the 5970 run my games on a 40" tv ok?

this pc im building will just be for gaming mostly web browsing itunes ect.

dam i haven't a clue lol thx yomamasflavour

thank you all for the replies! i'm slowly learning!!

would the 5970 run my games on a 40" tv ok?

this pc im building will just be for gaming mostly web browsing itunes ect.

If you have 3 hd tv screens, then a 5970 might be worth considering.
    If not, you would see no difference whatsover between it and a much cheaper 5850.

With computers it's best to buy only what you need now, and keep the rest of your money for a later upgrade.

At least this way, if in a year or two you notice your computer has gotten a bit sluggish in games, you can upgrade it with the money you saved.

For someone who wants to game/web browse/watch dvds etc.
    The earlier i5 build is probably the best choice. You'd get a beast of a computer for around 11/1200 and you'd still have the guts of a thousand euro for new games:D and any upgrades down the line.

ok the 5850 it is =)

what i5 build u recommend?

*your practically building my pc yomamasflavour ^^*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Get the i5 750 and a gigabyte ud3 board. Then get a half decent 4GB DDR3 kit. Don't spend stupid money on memory. €100 or so on memory will do you grand. Seeing as you are spending a lot of money, you have to get an ssd. Either an intel or an ocz vertex. Seriously this makes a big difference.

Get the i5 750 and a gigabyte ud3 board. Then get a half decent 4GB DDR3 kit. Don't spend stupid money on memory. €100 or so on memory will do you grand. Seeing as you are spending a lot of money, you have to get an ssd. Either an intel or an ocz vertex. Seriously this makes a big difference.

ssd? i haven't a clue remember? =p

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

Solid State Drive. Instead of having a magnetic disk like a conventional drive everything is done electronically. More info. The advantage to them is that you can read/write data a lot faster than with a conventional hard-drive which has to wait for moving parts to find data.

EDIT: You'd be best off putting your operating system and most used programs on it and nothing else. That'll allow you to boot windows and open up your internet browser or whatever in a fraction of the time it would usually take.

oh cool!! thank you for that!! learning more and more =)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If you are getting an SSD make sure you read up about getting your drive to work better with Windows. They've made improvements with Windows 7 but there are still some steps you can take to get that drive running like butter.

An SSD will give you the biggest noticeable day-to-day use improvement over a mechanical HDD.

For OCZ SSD's try having a read of the forums here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?186-Vertex-Agility-Turbo-Solid-V2-Summit-Colossus-and-Z-Drive-with-Microsoft-OS.

ok thanks man will do =)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

guys putting a build together any advice on these two processors appreciated
    Core i7 quad 930 or the core i7 quad 920 ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

930 > 920. Simple math, dude.

But seriously, the 930 just has a higher clock speed and costs more. The 920 isn't exactly difficult to overclock, so I'd go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Thanks for that, Jack, never was much good at maths :D

Advertisement