Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT 1 on PS3 on Eircom wireless broadband - security concerns?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I realise it's gaming / PS3 related, but my query is actually a general security one. From searching the game forums, the chief concern there seems to be getting games working, whereas my primary concern is the security of my home wireless network! :)

I have Eircom broadband with 2 wired connections to PCs and a wireless connection to a laptop and a PS3. I've WPA-PSK encryption as that's the best my eircom Netopia router offers and I also limit access by Mac address. Router firewall is at medium and all 3 computers have a Firewall on them.

My boyfriend has been able to play all his PS3 games online (Modern Warfare 2 etc) fine thus far, but Battlefield 2 would not work. I was trying to debug this for him and forwarded the ports it said to in the manual (by setting up custom services on the NAT screen in the router admin) but to no avail.

Then I found a YouTube video elsewhere on boards showing how to get a NAT 1 type connection on a PS3 with Eircom Broadband (basically by putting in PPPoE settings) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JugGe7CCuNU and lo and behold the game works with this.

However, I gather that a NAT 1 connection means you're bypassing the router and connecting the PS3 directly to the internet, so I'm wondering if this puts a security risk on my entire network?

I'd really welcome some advice on this.
    Thanks for your time.

Advertisement