Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wilson Palacios "dreaming" of Madrid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

nullzero wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/7411786/Tottenhams-Wilson-Palacios-wants-Real-Madrid-move.html

Another player looking to perform well to "win" a transfer to Real Madrid.
    I wonder if he was watching the Real v Lyon match, he might be having different dreams tonight if he was, although he like Ronaldo before him he might see himself as a potential "saviour" of his beloved merengues.
    Get your checkbook out Florentino...
    Any Spurs fans worried about Wilson's imminent departure to the hallowed hall's of the Bernabeu?

No. Real will remain the pinnacle for most players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

He's not nearly good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And he'd be the lowest in the que of Alonso, L.Diarra and M.Diarra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    No. Real will remain the pinnacle for most players.

Maybe the Real of the 1950's or the Real of Zidane & co, which was often flimsy at best. Real are a club that flounder from one coach to the next expecting to win every competition at a canter. Any serious player shouldn't take them seriously. Real are like a rudderless ship, there's no continuity with them, especially on the pitch where it counts.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

are you kiddin hes a bulldozer in the midfield

• Advertisement

mrDerek wrote: »

But he's not nearly good enough to play for Real Madrid,he is a good player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yes and bulldozers play for Spurs.

Rolls Royces play for Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'd argue that he's just what they need. If they actually paid closer attention to the defensive ellenent of they're team for once they might make it past the round of 16 more often.

I really rate him, he's very strong and dogged and would blend nicely with Xabi in midfield IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Maybe the Real of the 1950's or the Real of Zidane & co, which was often flimsy at best. Real are a club that flounder from one coach to the next expecting to win every competition at a canter. Any serious player shouldn't take them seriously. Real are like a rudderless ship, there's no continuity with them, especially on the pitch where it counts.

but they do

evidenced by the decision of Kaka to go there for example, Ronaldo and Alonso also, players do take them seriously, serious players

and have you been watching much La Liga?

up to that game tonight they have won all 13 games they played at home

they are top of the table at the moment and are very much in the hunt for a title this year

up to this game their form on the pitch where it counts as you say has been outstanding

i hate having to defend them, dont make me do it again

flahavaj wrote: »
    Yes and bulldozers play for Spurs.

Rolls Royces play for Madrid.

Put like a proper wordsmith :pac:

• Advertisement

he will offer nothing different to Lassana Diarra anyway

°°°°°

I'm sure he'd do ok for Madrid if he went.
    I just think it's a bit rich for a player who's won nothing with his club to be mouthing off about how his reason for putting in good performances is to get a transfer to a club with a higher profile. If he won a cup or got into the champions league with Spurs, then he could possibly start to say those things. Whatever happened to players keeping thier heads down and appreciating that they get to play football for a living?
    Ronaldo's cooing in the direction of Madrid was sickening. He carried on as if playing for United was like a prison sentence. If I was running a club I'd be handing out fines to players maing statements like that to the media.

Glazers Out!

Actually ignore that i was wrong

I'm sorry, but most of this is absolute nonsense. Real have been excellent this season and looked amazing tonight at times, but in the end, i think, crumbled beneath the huge pressure placed upon them.

Any serious player shouldn't take them seriously? Why shouldn't a serious player want to play with some of the best players in the world with the chance of another one or two superstars arriving each summer? Why wouldn't a serious player want to be a part of an experiment to put together one of the greatest teams ever seen? You think a serious player wouldn't fancy that challenge? Nemanja Vidic would bite your hand off for it.

History doesn't change, Real Madrid are the most successful club in the world therefore an attractive prospect. And they aren't short of a few bob neither!:pac:

°°°°°

kryogen wrote: »
    but they do

evidenced by the decision of Kaka to go there for example, Ronaldo and Alonso also, players do take them seriously, serious players

they are top of the table at the moment and are very much in the hunt for a title this year

up to this game their form on the pitch where it counts as you say has been outstanding

Kaka had to be dragged there kicking and screaming while Milan took the money they desperately needed.
    Ronaldo was fixated with madrid for years, both parties got what they wanted, while United got a nice wedge of cash to douse the flames of the Galzers debt.

I have watched a fair bit of La Liga and to be honest the standard isn't great at all anymore. After Barcelona and Madrid you have a few so so sides like Valencia( who were once more than so so) and Sevilla.
    It's getting more like the SPL every year.
    So the least Madrid should be expecting is to be "in the hunt" for the title, along with Barca they're 15 point ahead of their nearest rivals.

I wont ask you to defend them again, you didn't do it all that well to start with:D(no offence intended btw).

Glazers Out!

Kaka had to be dragged there kicking and screaming while Milan took the money they desperately needed.
    Ronaldo was fixated with madrid for years, both parties got what they wanted, while United got a nice wedge of cash to douse the flames of the Galzers debt.

I have watched a fair bit of La Liga and to be honest the standard isn't great at all anymore. After Barcelona and Madrid you have a few so so sides like Valencia( who were once more than so so) and Sevilla.
    It's getting more like the SPL every year.
    So the least Madrid should be expecting is to be "in the hunt" for the title, along with Barca they're 15 point ahead of their nearest rivals.

I wont ask you to defend them again, you didn't do it all that well to start with:D(no offence intended btw).

actually my defence was quite adequate, negated each point you made quite successfully so im happy with it

either you are john giles on a wind up, or you are very misguided

either way i will be happy to point out the factual inaccuracies and just plain nonsense you spout

Kaka was dragged kicking and screaming? nice one

And saying La Liga is getting more and more like the SPL is one of the funnier posts i have read in a while

cheers!

°°°°°

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but most of this is absolute nonsense. Real have been excellent this season and looked amazing tonight at times, but in the end, i think, crumbled beneath the huge pressure placed upon them.

Any serious player shouldn't take them seriously? Why shouldn't a serious player want to play with some of the best players in the world with the chance of another one or two superstars arriving each summer? Why wouldn't a serious player want to be a part of an experiment to put together one of the greatest teams ever seen? You think a serious player wouldn't fancy that challenge? Nemanja Vidic would bite your hand off for it.

They're a one dimensional side.
    Unless they start to act rationally and have a steady coach with a clear vision and a non reactionary club president they'll be unable to compete with the best in the CL which is their aim.
    They have nothing at the back and even if they sign Vidic, there's no guarnatee he'd succeed. They ahve loads of money to spend but they have no common sense. If Madrid had a decent manager who didn't have to fear being fired ever time the side lost then they could very well be a force, but until they're not a serious side and if you think splashing cash on a bunch of wingers is what football is all about then I feel sorry for you.

Glazers Out!

actually my defence was quite adequate, negated each point you made quite successfully so im happy with it

either way i will be happy to point out the factual inaccuracies and just plain nonsense you spout

And saying La Liga is getting more and more like the SPL is one of the funnier posts i have read in a while

cheers!

Didn't Keane fantasize about playing for Madrid at some stage, remember reading something like that in his book?

Unless they start to act rationally and have a steady coach with a clear vision and a non reactionary club president they'll be unable to compete with the best in the CL which is their aim.
    They have nothing at the back and even if they sign Vidic, there's no guarnatee he'd succeed. They ahve loads of money to spend but they have no common sense. If Madrid had a decent manager who didn't have to fear being fired ever time the side lost then they could very well be a force, but until they're not a serious side and if you think splashing cash on a bunch of wingers is what football is all about then I feel sorry for you.

I agree totally,It always seems to me like Real Madrid always buy the players who are being glorified by tabloids and FourFourTwo magazine and never really think there signings through like a club like Man Utd. would do.

• Advertisement

are you aware they signed one of the better rated defenders in Spain during the summer then no?

the coach isnt bad actually, he has them playing some great football this season

°°°°°

cheers!

So do you seriously think that La Liga is a league in which a group of more than two sides have an equal chance of contesting the title each season at this point in time?

Kaka had no intentions of leaving Milan, the dogs on the street knew that. He was happy at Milan and felt valued and wanted to stay. Milan told him he was going, Madrid made them an offer they couldnt refuse and they took the money. Kicking and screaming might have been over the top, but the man had no intentions of leaving Milan and only left when it was beyond his control.

Glazers Out!

Ush1 wrote: »
    Didn't Keane fantasize about playing for Madrid at some stage, remember reading something like that in his book?

no

are you aware they signed one of the better rated defenders in Spain during the summer then no?

Yes I am

no

Are you sure? I specifically remember him saying he imagined about playing in a hot country and the exotic atmosphere in the stadium and stuff?

And yet they will remain the pinnacle for most players.

Who doesn't want to play in the sunshine with the superstars, in the best league in the world and some of the finest poon in Europe?

So do you seriously think that La Liga is a league in which a group of more than two sides have an equal chance of contesting the title each season at this point in time?

Kaka had no intentions of leaving Milan, the dogs on the street knew that. He was happy at Milan and felt valued and wanted to stay. Milan told him he was going, Madrid made them an offer they couldnt refuse and they took the money. Kicking and screaming might have been over the top, but the man had no intentions of leaving Milan and only left when it was beyond his control.

why did Kaka not sign for city then? why did he state that the only club he could ever have left Milan for is Madrid? he could have choosen another team to play for if he didnt take Madrid seriously as a club, and have you ever heard of PR?

this season the form of Madrid and Barca, it is a record breaking season so far, has meant no other team has a chance, but usually you see some form of challenge yes, ultimately they have the best squads though

Is the EPL the same as the SPL then?

last 3 years only 2 teams have really had a shot at winning that also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

but they do

All this crap about Real Madrid is ridiculous.

People thinking they are coming on strides and such.

They never went bad in the first place domestically speaking.

Last season after they lost 2-0 to Barca at Camp Nou they went on a rampage of 18 games, winning 17 and drawing the other.

That rampage came to a shuddering halt when Barca visited the Bernabeu and handed them a 6-2 spankin.

This admirable run was overshadowed by Barca's dazzling on field displays and their own run of 22 games, 19 wins and 3 draws which took place earlier in the season.

Point being they were always good domestically and crap in europe for years.

Not too much has changed as regards there performances in my opinion.

The major difference is that Barca have dropped their level from the ridiculous highs of last season and people are interpreting it as the rise of Real Madrid which which is ill conceived.

People need to wake up, use their heads and look up la ligas recent history to be honest.

°°°°°

the coach isnt bad actually, he has them playing some great football this season

Are you talking about Raul Albiol?
    He's a decent player, but not the standard you need to win the Champions League at the moment, which is Madrid's main aim.

I think Pellegrini is a good coach and I think he has what it takes to win the Spanish title. I also think that he's not in control of decision making at Madrid just like any other manager they've had over the years. It's not his fault Madrid went out of the CL tonight but it has to be said that they're defending was dire, just as bad if not worse than against Liverpool last year. The chances are that he wont get another shake of the dice next season, which is the big problem with Madrid as a club, they're too quick to weild the axe with managers that have no control to start with.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Yes I am

wasnt asking you pal
    Are you sure? I specifically remember him saying he imagined about playing in a hot country and the exotic atmosphere in the stadium and stuff?

yep im sure he never fantasised about joining real madrid

Sorry :P

I rate Albiol highly by the way :pac:

I think Pellegrini is a good coach and I think he has what it takes to win the Spanish title. I also think that he's not in control of decision making at Madrid just like any other manager they've had over the years. It's not his fault Madrid went out of the CL tonight. The chances are that he wont get another shake of the dice next season, which is the big problem with Madrid as a club, they're too quick to weild the axe with managers that have no control to start with.

i agree with you here

that feels funny

yep im sure he never fantasised about joining real madrid

Do you even know what I'm talking about though?:o

redout wrote: »

People thinking they are coming on strides and such.

They never went bad in the first place domestically speaking.

Last season after they lost 2-0 to Barca at Camp Nou they went on a rampage of 18 games, winning 17 and drawing the other.

That rampage came to a shuddering halt when Barca visited the Bernabeu and handed them a 6-2 spankin.

This admirable run was overshadowed by Barca's dazzling on field displays and their own run of 22 games, 19 wins and 3 draws which took place earlier in the season.

Point being they were always good domestically and crap in europe for years.

Not too much has changed as regards there performances in my opinion.

The major difference is that Barca have dropped their level from the ridiculous highs of last season and people are interpreting it as the rise of Real Madrid which which is ill conceived.

People need to wake up, use their heads and look up la ligas recent history to be honest.

are you saying i am one of the people saying madrid are coming on strides and rising again as a club etc..?

if you are you need to read what im saying again, I agree with everything you have said in that post

which is why the OP post is nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

redout wrote: »

Fair point, I would actually rate Capello's Madrid well above the current team tbh and that wasn't too long ago. Less individual flare but much more of a cohesive and organised unit.

• Advertisement

Do you even know what I'm talking about though?:o

if you are asking whether Roy Keane every fantasised about playing for Real Madrid specifically then yes i know what your talking about, if you are using a code language and that is not in fact what you mean to be asking then maybe i dont know what your talking about :confused:

°°°°°

why did Kaka not sign for city then? why did he state that the only club he could ever have left Milan for is Madrid? he could have choosen another team to play for if he didnt take Madrid seriously as a club, and have you ever heard of PR?

this season the form of Madrid and Barca, it is a record breaking season so far, has meant no other team has a chance, but usually you see some form of challenge yes, ultimately they have the best squads though

Is the EPL the same as the SPL then?

last 3 years only 2 teams have really had a shot at winning that also

I take your point about City on board although I would say that Kaka would at least have had enough of a say on his transfer to dictate that he went to a club that was in the CL, which something City might still fail to achieve by next season.

As for it being a recored breaking season in La Liga being the reason for the chasm between Barca/Real and Valencia and Sevilla etc... I'd have to disagree. Their isn't the same level of quality throughout the teams below them, Madrid being able to so easily lure the likes of Albiol from Valencia is testament to that.

The Premier League isn't some sort of ideal and I'd love to see more clubs challenge for the title. It is a long way off the SPL however, particularly this season which is the most open one I can remember since 1999 which was a cracker of a season. Even Liverpools title push last year freshened things up a bit.

Glazers Out!

if you are asking whether Roy Keane every fantasised about playing for Real Madrid specifically then yes i know what your talking about, if you are using a code language and that is not in fact what you mean to be asking then maybe i dont know what your talking about :confused:

As in, do you know the part of his book that I'm on about? May not have mentioned Real Madrid specifically, but about playing abroad.

Madrid being able to so easily lure the likes of Albiol from Valencia is testament to that.

The fact Valencia are broke and needed to offload players obviously had no bearing that move, no?

this thread went off topic pretty quickly didnt it

what was it about again? palacios dreaming of sheep or something?

• Advertisement

As in, do you know the part of his book that I'm on about? May not have mentioned Real Madrid specifically, but about playing abroad.

yup, he mentioned that he had thought about playing abroad alright

what was it about again? palacios dreaming of sheep or something?

more like Ronaldo's short shorts.

°°°°°

I think Madrid and Juve were some fo the clubs he considered himself joining if United didn't up his wages in line with Beckham who he felt he should have at least been on par with money wise.
    I think i remember him "treathening" to enter talks with Juve at one stage, pure BS to grease the wheels of an improved contract.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

The fact Valencia are broke and needed to offload players obviously had no bearing that move, no?

Of course it did, but that also proves my point quite nicely too when you think about it.
    PS. Kudo's to Kryogen for thanking a post that was critical of what I said, it's both big and clever.

Glazers Out!

I think Madrid and Juve were some fo the clubs he considered himself joining if United didn't up his wages in line with Beckham who he felt he should have at least been on par with money wise.
    I think i remember him "treathening" to enter talks with Juve at one stage, pure BS to grease the wheels of an improved contract.

check it again then buddy

Never Real Madrid, how many different ways can that be said?

Of course it did, but that also proves my point quite nicely too when you think about it.
    PS. Kudo's to Kryogen for thanking a post that was critical of what I said, it's both big and clever.

christ this is getting pathetic, i thanked the post cause it saved me typing out the exact same thing

you are not in fact the centre of the universe my man

°°°°°

check it again then buddy

Never Real Madrid, how many different ways can that be said?

I wasn't defending what the other person said. I just pointed out what actually happened. That ok Buddy?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

are you saying i am one of the people saying madrid are coming on strides and rising again as a club etc..?

if you are you need to read what im saying again, I agree with everything you have said in that post

which is why the OP post is nonsense

What I said is "People need to wake up, use their heads and look up la ligas recent history to be honest". You have been taking part in the la liga weekly threads of late and no doubt must have read some of the ill conceived, ott drivel spurted about Real Madrid so should know exactly what it is I am on about.

°°°°°

christ this is getting pathetic, i thanked the post cause it saved me typing out the exact same thing

you are not in fact the centre of the universe my man

It kinda seemed like that was the case.
    If I was wrong in saying that then I apologise.

Glazers Out!

I wasn't defending what the other person said. I just pointed out what actually happened. That ok Buddy?

right, but it never happened, Roy Keane never fantasised about playing for Real Madrid, at least not publicly and it is not mentioned in his book which is what this to and fro has been about

when he was released from United Madrid mentioned something about signing him possibly, but he signed for Celtic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement