Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wilson Palacios "dreaming" of Madrid

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

redout wrote: »
    What I said is "People need to wake up, use their heads and look up la ligas recent history to be honest". You have been taking part in the la liga weekly threads of late and no doubt must have read some of the ill conceived, ott drivel spurted about Real Madrid so should know exactly what it is I am on about.

you quoted me so i needed clarification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

kryogen wrote: »
    right, but it never happened, Roy Keane never fantasised about playing for Real Madrid, at least not publicly and it is not mentioned in his book which is what this to and fro has been about

when he was released from United Madrid mentioned something about signing him possibly, but he signed for Celtic.

I would have loved to see how he would have reacted to the parlour games that pass for club management at Madrid had he signed for them.
    He would have been in full on red mist mode the whole time he was there.

I think Celtic suited him and he knew he was at the end of his career. Boyhood dreams and all that.

Glazers Out!

To go to Madrid would be seen to go against everything he had stood for as a player and would have hurt his image, this is why it was never a possibility imo

plenty of opinions on it all over the net of course

Celtic was the best choice for him alright, let him go out on a high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The fact Valencia are broke and needed to offload players obviously had no bearing that move, no?

I'm not even sure how realise how right you are when saying that.
    nullzero wrote: »
    Of course it did, but that also proves my point quite nicely too when you think about it.
    PS. Kudo's to Kryogen for thanking a post that was critical of what I said, it's both big and clever.

While I agree with the point you're trying to make, Raul Albiol is actually the worst example you could pick? You realise that Albiol as soon as being offloaded from Valencia he came out in the media and stated his disappointment at being shafted by his boyhood club.

He wanted nothing more than to play at Valencia for the rest of his career, regardless of what division they were in. But Valencia being in a dire financial state decided to cash in with the highest bidder - Madrid. Albiol HATED that he was made move from Madrid, and has admitted that he will always resent Valencia a little for the way they treated him.

Real Madrid will always represent the pinnacle of football because of it's illustrious history. It's climate, language, culture means that the top dogs in South America will assimilate easier there than England, so Real will get preference over the likes of Manchester United. And when you constantly have a stream of the best players in the world playing for you, you will attract the best talent. As a kid I'm sure there's more boys who idolise Madrid because of Kaka, Ronaldo, Casillas more than they do Man Utd, who have been vastly more successful over the last 10 years.

I also think that at the moment, not only do players want to play for Madrid, but there is an appeal to going down in history as a player who was involved in a 'galacticos' project. It's stupid, but I'm sure there is a certain amount of egoism involved. And also, I'm sure there are players who think that they may be the missing piece to making this Real Madrid team the best on the planet again, and potentially going down as the player/ manager who completed the puzzle has unprecedented appeal amongst 99.9% of footballers. I'm sure it can be frustrating to see it going on, but Real Madrid seems to be seen as the best footballing brand in football amongst professionals, 29 league titles and 9 CL will do that for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Hmm, Maybe he should wake up.

Yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

you quoted me so i needed clarification

If a team is actually making major strides I will gladly admit to it as it would be absurd to dismiss it off hand but when the real reason is more got to do with their rivals performance levels dropping it riles me up when people try to make it out the other way around.

As regards Palacios and Real Madrid he could either be the next Julien Faubert or the next Lassana Diarra. He certainly doesnt strike you as a galactico but in all honesty some of the better players they sign arent - look at Makelele, Diarra, Helguera etc.

°°°°°

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'm not even sure how realise how right you are when saying that.

While I agree with the point you're trying to make, Raul Albiol is actually the worst example you could pick? You realise that Albiol as soon as being offloaded from Valencia he came out in the media and stated his disappointment at being shafted by his boyhood club.

He wanted nothing more than to play at Valencia for the rest of his career, regardless of what division they were in. But Valencia being in a dire financial state decided to cash in with the highest bidder - Madrid. Albiol HATED that he was made move from Madrid, and has admitted that he will always resent Valencia a little for the way they treated him.

Real Madrid will always represent the pinnacle of football because of it's illustrious history. It's climate, language, culture means that the top dogs in South America will assimilate easier there than England, so Real will get preference over the likes of Manchester United. And when you constantly have a stream of the best players in the world playing for you, you will attract the best talent. As a kid I'm sure there's more boys who idolise Madrid because of Kaka, Ronaldo, Casillas more than they do Man Utd, who have been vastly more successful over the last 10 years.

I also think that at the moment, not only do players want to play for Madrid, but there is an appeal to going down in history as a player who was involved in a 'galacticos' project. It's stupid, but I'm sure there is a certain amount of egoism involved. And also, I'm sure there are players who think that they may be the missing piece to making this Real Madrid team the best on the planet again, and potentially going down as the player/ manager who completed the puzzle has unprecedented appeal amongst 99.9% of footballers. I'm sure it can be frustrating to see it going on, but Real Madrid seems to be seen as the best footballing brand in football amongst professionals, 29 league titles and 9 CL will do that for you.

Good points.
    I think the whole "I dream of Madrid" attitude is more indicative of professional footballers narrow world view and general ignorance.
    Madrid has been the ruination of many players over the years and I along with many others would hope that the next big talent in world football doesn't ruin themselves by joining Real and dreaming of emulating the success that was mainly achieved with more than a little bit of help from Franco in the 1950's. That is after all where the legendary status of Madrid comes from, 5 eurpean cups, take those ealry triumphs away and in the modern age they are behind the likes of AC Milan and Liverpool.
    But you're right, players will always flock to them even if it does defy logic.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

If a team is actually making major strides I will gladly admit to it as it would be absurd to dismiss it off hand but when the real reason is more got to do with their rivals performance levels dropping it riles me up when people try to make it out the other way around.

As regards Palacios and Real Madrid he could either be the next Julien Faubert or the next Lassana Diarra. He certainly doesnt strike you as a galactico but in all honesty some of the better players they sign arent - look at Makelele, Diarra, Helguera etc.

Makelele was immense for them and replicated that form with Chelsea too.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Seems to me you adopt the Dunphy approach by looking at how well a team are doing in the league and automatically assuming the quality has dipped. They simply don't lose to the Burnleys of La Liga, simple as that.

Anyone with a decent grasp of the game that has seen them a lot last season and this season can see that they are making strides in the right direction. They are not the finished article yet, i don't know if they ever will be but they are a bloody good team.

• Advertisement

Makelele was immense for them and replicated that form with Chelsea too.

probably the most important part of that Galactico team

he owned that position, when he went that defence got exposed like a 17 year old at a frat party

°°°°°

probably the most important part of that Galactico team

he owned that position, when he went that defence got exposed like a 17 year old at a frat party

Do you reckon the Madrid faithful even remeber him now?
    He was a proper footballer, they were mad to sell him.
    Silly Real Madrid they just never learn:pac:

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Maybe the Real of the 1950's or the Real of Zidane & co, which was often flimsy at best. Real are a club that flounder from one coach to the next expecting to win every competition at a canter. Any serious player shouldn't take them seriously. Real are like a rudderless ship, there's no continuity with them, especially on the pitch where it counts.

Somebody probably said it already but if Liverpool were relegated to the Conference it would still be my dream to play for them. I am sure its the same for these lads.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Somebody probably said it already but if Liverpool were relegated to the Conference it would still be my dream to play for them. I am sure its the same for these lads.

no frikkin way!

the players like Kaka and Ronaldo etc. want to play at the highest level!

they were not born in Madrid and they are there because of the name the club has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

In fairness lads not many at Tottenham would turn down a move to Real Madrid..

true

im pretty sure everyone on the Tottenham team would jump at the chance

cept woodgate, once is enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

no frikkin way!

the players like Kaka and Ronaldo etc. want to play at the highest level!

they were not born in Madrid and they are there because of the name the club has

I wasn't born in Liverpool :p. But its one of those they grew watching the old Madrid and with them being top 2 in Spain every season its an easy choice for them to say I wanna go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If I was a professional footballer with the quality of Palacios I would avoid Madrid like the plague.

They're a complete cluster fùck of a club and their squad is, and will continue to be, completely overcrowded. He'd be fighting for the one dcm job against the two diarras and Xabi. I know they're playing well at the moment but their manager will still most likely get the sack in the summer and the circus will just continue to roll on.

I really can't understand footballers who want to move to clubs with overcrowded squads where they'll struggle to get game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Pro. F wrote: »
    I really can't understand footballers who want to move to clubs with overcrowded squads where they'll struggle to get game time.

For the money. Simple as. Madrid can offer squillions to players and agents and so on, and that is why they can sign Galacticos. Cos they have the rep of being bigger, better, flashier and greater... Money talks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Fairly sure that Kaka' only decided to leave Milan after when the City bid was accepted. The reason the City bid was accepted was because of the dire financial state of AC Milan.

Kaka then thought to himself, right I'll leave to help AC Milan's financial plight but I'm not going to a small club like Manchester.....Manchester.........County?? :pac:

Fairly sure thats the reason he explained to Milan fans

Thats when Real Madrid got wind that Milan would entertain bids because of their financial position and Perez started his PR machine to get the Presidency and used the promise of Kaka etc to win it

Palacios can dream and thats about it tbh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

ziggy wrote: »

Pedant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

sherlock.jpg

oh utter failure

he was based in England and for him to be contemplating playing abroad during his time at Manchester United would mean he is considering playing in a country other then England

Brutal, just brutal

its people like you that stop me posting in irish football threads, pedantic little children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

no he didn't - not from the league he spent most of his time in.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Oh no, I meant he fantasized about playing for the English NT, that was it!:pac:

Ush1 wrote: »
    Oh no, I meant he fantasized about playing for the English NT, that was it!:pac:

link? ;)

you misunderstood, no tantrum, just straight talking

less chance of confusion there, temper tantrum, on the internet, interesting

but if it made you feel good in a weird kinda way then im all for it, go with it man, live long and prosper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Any Spurs fans worried about Wilson's imminent departure to the hallowed hall's of the Bernabeu?

I think this might have been missed in the rush to discuss everything bar Palacios wanting to go to Madrid...
    Palacios is quoted in the Sun

So that's the Telegraph reporting what the Sun made up.

/end thread?

I wouldn't begrudge any player a move to a club like Real if that's what they want, as long as they give their all when wearing our white shirt and they don't take the piss.

• Advertisement

ah mate this thread is only very vaguely about Palacios and his dreams of white sheets or whatever ;)

Advertisement