Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Maintenance courses?

• 11-03-2010 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im sick of paying mechanics money to do a service,change brakes etc I love cars but don't have any experience in this field and was wondering if anyone knew where theres any courses in this area starting soon?

thanks guys!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Do what I did, buy a Haynes manual and teach yourself.

I can do most things on a car now and I learnt it all from a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Mate of mine done a course in FAS on Car Maintenance , and now services his own car and his fathers etc; Could give them a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

where could I pick one of them up mate?

Ah I think I'd prefer the course plus I wouldnt try change the parts on my car, its a decent enough car.

That FAS one sounds alright!

Just trying to find some info now on it

Haynes manual is the best bet but it's a boring read to be honest, it goes into great detail but can leave out important bits too which isn't ideal. For basic servicing start buying Car Mechanics magazine, loads of good stuff in there. If you can't change the oil in your car without doing a course you really have no business doing the course if you know what I mean. Most evening car maintenance courses are shockingly basic from what they outline in the course details.

If you can change the oil and filter, spark plugs, fuel and air filter and keep an eye on the levels on the expansion tank, brake fluid etc you can save a good few quid as you'll only need to visit the garage for brakes, suspension, timing belt change and unexpected faults. If you have a good reliable car most of the time all the garage do is oil and filters and a general look over anyway. All this talk of diagnostics being required is only true when there is actually something wrong, 9 times out of ten there isn't :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

He done it in Tallaght about 3 years ago, don't know if the other FAS training centers do it, surpose its worth a search on their website

RoverJames wrote: »
    Haynes manual is the best bet but it's a boring read to be honest, it goes into great detail but can leave out important bits too which isn't ideal. For basic servicing start buying Car Mechanics magazine, loads of good stuff in there. If you can't change the oil in your car without doing a course you really have no business doing the course if you know what I mean. Most evening car maintenance courses are shockingly basic from what they outline in the course details.

If you can change the oil and filter, spark plugs, fuel and air filter and keep an eye on the levels on the expansion tank, brake fluid etc you can save a good few quid as you'll only need to visit the garage for brakes, suspension, timing belt change and unexpected faults. If you have a good reliable car most of the time all the garage do is oil and filters and a general look over anyway. All this talk of diagnostics being required is only true when there is actually something wrong, 9 times out of ten there isn't :)

Well I could change the oil but stuff like brakes I couldnt! But I wouldnt mind doing a little course as I have some free time at the moment.

If your motivation is saving a few quid ask yourself how often have you gotten brakes done ? If your motivation is to learn get a Haynes manual, for stuff like brake pads the Haynes is great, step by step instructions with pics, also sign up to some forum for whatever make of car you have, folks on there will help you out no probs in most cases :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    If your motivation is saving a few quid ask yourself how often have you gotten brakes done ? If your motivation is to learn get a Haynes manual, for stuff like brake pads the Haynes is great, step by step instructions with pics, also sign up to some forum for whatever make of car you have, folks on there will help you out no probs in most cases :)

Well it was to save a few quid but mainly to improve my knowledge, Iv always loved cars and learning about them. Since I had some time I thought feck it I may as well do a course for a few weeks!

thanks for the info! Im already part of a forum (its a VW GOLF btw) I havent seen them haynes manual recently, any ideas where I can pick one up mate?

Some car accessory shops and factors stock some and can order one for you, so too Halfords, could get one on ebay too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes as was said the Haynes manual is a great starting point. I found online there's lots of advice for brakes and once you understand how everything works it's perfectly safe working on them, I've done my own twice now and service it everytime, saves me a fortune and I always buy original parts and the best of oil on the savings.

Go to www.haynes.co.uk and they have manuals for all Golfs but Halfords or any motor factors should have them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A couple of the Dublin CDVEC schools run car maintenance night courses that cover the basics.
    Ringsend Tech. and I think also Kylemore College in Ballyfermot.

I'd say this year's courses are already on or maybe over, but there is always next year. They usually enrol around September.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laoishibee

Buy yourself a ****box or acquire one

give yourself a couple of weeks

rip it apart and throw it back together again!

Simples! :D

Advertisement