Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Cascarino

• 11-03-2010 1:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a more irritating person to listen to talk about football? I've just listened to this week's Game podcast and am just baffled at his lack of basic knowledge used to form his arguments. For example, he spent about five minutes saying the sun shines out of Martin O'Neill's because he always plays his best eleven and tries his hardest to win every game/competition. Eh last year's Europa League anyone? Actually, I'm not sure which is worse - his complete oversight of such a recent incident or the failure of the other three clowns in the studio to pull him up on it. His newspaper column is also littered with nonsense on a regular basis. Anyway, what say yee of the greatest fraud in Irish football history?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he is piss poor alright, but there are others who irritate me more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

will you promise not to ban me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Not a fan of the ‘big opinions' ay? He's my favourite pundit along with David o Leary and Ian Wright Wright Wright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah, his ads make me sick aswell.

But my favourite moment of my life is still when Teddy Sheringham called Andy Townsend a fake Irishman on live tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah, his ads make me sick aswell.

But my favourite moment of my life is still when Teddy Sheringham called Andy Townsend a fake Irishman on live tv.

rofl :eek::D really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is there a more irritating person to listen to talk about football?

Ronnie Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is there a more irritating person to listen to talk about football? I've just listened to this week's Game podcast and am just baffled at his lack of basic knowledge used to form his arguments. For example, he spent about five minutes saying the sun shines out of Martin O'Neill's because he always plays his best eleven and tries his hardest to win every game/competition. Eh last year's Europa League anyone? Actually, I'm not sure which is worse - his complete oversight of such a recent incident or the failure of the other three clowns in the studio to pull him up on it. His newspaper column is also littered with nonsense on a regular basis. Anyway, what say yee of the greatest fraud in Irish football history?

Reading this it appears to me that Martin O'Neill is the real source of your irritation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ronnie Whelan

American commentators

OPENROAD wrote: »
    rofl :eek::D really?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A56942706

WISH I could find the clip somewhere. Should have seen it. UNreal.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ush1 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A56942706

WISH I could find the clip somewhere. Should have seen it. UNreal.:pac:

brilliant :D would love to find that clip also :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Cascarino is a cretin of a pundit alright. He's a typical Sun writer - i.e. he talks as much bollocks as is humanely possible without exploding.

The funniest thing about him though is when he used to be on Sky Sports. Around the time Stan got the Irish job, or even when Kerr got it, he tried to push himself forward for the position saying things like "It'd be a job I'd particularly enjoy yada yada". There was probably more chance of Phill Babb getting it than that fool.

Now he just tries to be a sensationalist writer and he seems to love his own voice. He has about as much knowledge of the game as my baby toenail despite having played well over a decade. He actually makes Jamie Redknapp look like a reserved footballing genius with what he comes out with.

He sounds a bit dim too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jason cundy. Want to inch him every time I see him on sky sports news. Just so loud and rude, simply shouts over anyone trying to offer a different opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Jason cundy. Want to inch him every time I see him on sky sports news. Just so loud and rude, simply shouts over anyone trying to offer a different opinion.

Speaking of which, has anyone got the video where Graham Hunter made an absolute tool of him before the Barcelona vs. Chelsea game on SSN?

...speaking of Hunter, I absolutely hate the way Balague just sits there with a smug smile on his face when the other pundit is talking on Spanish Football, so punchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

David O'Leary is a far bigger douche. Seeing as he appears in the same newspaper

Who would you rather have as a manager David O'Leary or Martin O'Neill?

Des wrote: »
    ...speaking of Hunter, I absolutely hate the way Balague just sits there with a smug smile on his face when the other pundit is talking on Spanish Football, so punchable.

Haha, I kind of like that though.
    It's wierd, the Spanish football pundits seem to have absolute authority on what they say. It's usually all decent stuff in fairness, but it's really matter of fact like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Tony "the ice cream man!" Cascarino

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Reading this it appears to me that Martin O'Neill is the real source of your irritation!

Oh god.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think Lou Macari gives him a run for his money.

• Advertisement

Jamie Redknapp.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Irish man who co-commentates on US tv is also highly annoying, think he's from Louth or Monaghan.

pic.php?oid=AAAAAQAQHdRUEzsb-xg19t8p16Jj4AAAAAmTh2rVAZ1J2R84iIzXPKro

FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Cascarino
    - 1 dictionary results

Cas-car-ee-Noooo-ur-shít-Ahhhhhhhhh

   /ˈcascarino/ Show Spelled[worst striker that ever played for Ireland] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. Fumbles ball.
    2. Shoots at corner flag instead of goal.
    3. Somehow manages to get ball caught up between his knee's while striking on an open goal.
    4. 1 yard away from open goal, clear and open chance to score, somehow manages to kick the ball over the crossbar.
    5. Talks complete bollocks.

I still to this day use the catchphrase "oh he's just done a Cascarino" when a player misses an absolute sitter, or fumbles the ball up and between his knee's instead of shooting for a goal.

Worst player EVER to play for Ireland, ever ever ever...and yeah, he talks absolute bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

worst player to ever play for ireland?

no afraid not

+1 for anyone who feels the incredible urge to punch Balague straight in the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Neil3030 wrote: »

How did you come to that conclusion? I've no problem with O'Neill. I do however have a problem with him, or anyone else, being described as the answer to the modern day tinkering manager when that isn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

The other night he was co-commentating on the Arsenal match and making the point that Niklas Bentdner is not going to make it as a serious striker after seeing him at Burnley.

Then his name and 'Republic of Ireland International (19 goals in 88 apps)' comes up on screen.

Bendtner 11 goals in 32 apps for Denmark goes on to get a hattrick.

Don't get me started on Lou Macari"they lost the ball too easy and where was the defence Des?" (while Denilson lies on the ground after collapsing v Everton)

Ronnie Whelan ... great player i hear for Liverpool but jesus he needs to cut back on the whole talking aspect.

I have to say I like Pat Dolan....sometimes ridicoulous views but entertaining in his own way imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Kirnsy wrote: »
    I have to say I like Pat Dolan....sometimes ridicoulous views but entertaining in his own way imo

Same, I don't know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Crackin' vid this....couldn't get enough of 'im at Marseille!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Gridlock wrote: »
    Crackin' vid this....couldn't get enough of 'im at Marseille!!:D

Yeah in fairness great goalscoring record there....

but how many headers are in that video???:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He does (or used to) do a column for Hot Press and a truer definition of the phrase money for old rope never existed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He sounds a bit dim too.

I think he's OK as a pundit but as a presenter I reckon he'd be a bit of a slow anchor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I don't mind Ronnie or Tony C. but I tell you one ex player who has gradualy p*ssed me off and I never wanted him to cos he was one of my favourite Irish players.

If I hear Ray houghton say 'he has got to do better than that' or 'shoud have at least made the goalkeeper work there' one more time I swear, I won't be held responsible.

All I keep thinking is 'hold on a second mate, why is your scoring record only good at best if you never made mistakes in front of goal?'

The Irish man who co-commentates on US tv is also highly annoying, think he's from Louth or Monaghan.

Ah Tommy Smyth. The reason God created the mute button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah in fairness great goalscoring record there....

but how many headers are in that video???:eek::eek:

Christ almighty....that reminds me of Marc Van Basten in his heyday...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tony Cascarino
    Lou Macari
    Stan Collymore
    Ian Wright
    Peter Schmeichel
    Tony Adams
    Paul Merson
    Steve Claridge
    Marcel Desailly
    Jamie Redknapp
    Garth Crooks
    Phil Thompson

Punditry's a nice cozy gig for the ex footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Christ almighty....that reminds me of Marc Van Basten in his heyday...:eek:

Remember though, at OM he was getting topped up with a little something something that made him 'sharper' and 'hungrier for the ball' (his own words).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

If I hear Ray houghton say 'he has got to do better than that' or 'shoud have at least made the goalkeeper work there' one more time I swear, I won't be held responsible.
    "Tell you what George"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

In Fairness he's not a bad punter gave a 20/1 treble on The Last Word the other week including Everton to beat Man Utd. Not the worst by any means compared to Redknapp, Andy Gray and the most annoying twat on television Garth Crooks. As for Bentdner he should have had six against Burnley and the hattrick was laid on a plate, any decent striker would have a lot more goals for Arsenal with the service he is getting. Somebody should do a poll as I don't have the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

His punting is a bit eccentric but he does manage to pull out some good results. City to beat Chelsea being a recent one iirc.
    Ronnie Whelan

If ever I saw a man talking arse this is him. What a gob****e of the complete and highest order. Great Ronnie, you played for Liverpool back in the day; the world has changed considerably since - deal with it. No amount of arse talk from you is going to change Rafa's mind.

• Advertisement

How did you come to that conclusion? I've no problem with O'Neill. I do however have a problem with him, or anyone else, being described as the answer to the modern day tinkering manager when that isn't the case.

Do you have any other instances when he fielded a weakened team which resulted in Aston Villa being knocked out of a tournament?

orourkeda wrote: »
    Do you have any other instances when he fielded a weakened team which resulted in Aston Villa being knocked out of a tournament?

Not off the top of my head but one is more than the none that was suggested by Big Cas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So, what ye hate about him is that he took a small amount of talent and parlayed it into a profitable career?

Would that I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Is there a more irritating person to listen to talk about football?

No. Next thread. I don't think Xavi6 will be winning any Tony awards any time soon. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Prufrock wrote: »
    No. Next thread. I don't think Xavi6 will be winning any Tony awards any time soon. :rolleyes:

It's fair comment imo and worthy of discussion. Perhaps it'd be better framed as a thread about irritating pundits as it's developing into such.

No need for such a condescending remark. Not every thread started here need be of such deep subject matter to generate discussion. I don't know about you but I fancy a bit of banter on this from time to time. If you feel there's no depth to a thread; simply don't post on it. There's no real need to make cutting remarks like you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

cson wrote: »
    It's fair comment imo and worthy of discussion. Perhaps it'd be better framed as a thread about irritating pundits as it's developing into such.

No need for such a condescending remark. Not every thread started here need be of such deep subject matter to generate discussion. I don't know about you but I fancy a bit of banter on this from time to time. If you feel there's no depth to a thread; simply don't post on it. There's no real need to make cutting remarks like you did.

I actually agree with Xavi6 on this topic. My comment was ment to express my belief that Tony Cascarino is the most annying pundit on tv(from an Irish standpoint). It was not a comment on the quality of the thread(which I think is a good topic) more a confirmation that Xavi6 is correct in his view. Sorry if my post has been taken the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good call. You would do well to steer clear of himself and Darren 'Goughie' Gough's show on talksport then. Fúck me, blind leading the blind comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Cascarino talks like a fool alright. I dont understand pundits who try and be contraversial for no reason unless theyre mentally unstable, but lovable, like dunphy or dolan. Hed be so much more respected if he just analysed the game rather than earwaxing lyrical about it.

It seems to be a straightforward enough thing to do as lee dixon and kenny cunningham have proven. I think theyre spot on in their punditry and hope that they have a long career in it and arent just ousted by someone just spouting tripe in order to hold onto their daily columns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Cascarino
    - 1 dictionary results

Cas-car-ee-Noooo-ur-shít-Ahhhhhhhhh

   /ˈcascarino/ Show Spelled[worst striker that ever played for Ireland] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. Fumbles ball.
    2. Shoots at corner flag instead of goal.
    3. Somehow manages to get ball caught up between his knee's while striking on an open goal.
    4. 1 yard away from open goal, clear and open chance to score, somehow manages to kick the ball over the crossbar.
    5. Talks complete bollocks.

........Worst player EVER to play for Ireland, ever ever ever...and yeah, he talks absolute bollocks.

Come off it! Judging from your post, your the one talking complete bollocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Do you remember when Andy Townsend used to be on Setanta with Fat Dolan? It used to be very entertaining how wound up he would get with Dolan's retarded comments. Now Andy is gone I can't even watch the fatter, lesser entertaining version of Dunphy, especially with that clown presenter who doesn't stop looking at the camera when asking questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement