Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st class honours- whats it worth?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

I recently got a first class honours in my masters degree (business). When I did my bachelors degree I also got a first class honour. (Both in good universitys)

While Im very happy to have achieved these Im just wondering; is there any specific practical use for my '1st class honour'. I mean, are there 'exclusive' type jobs/careers out there I could apply for purely because I got a 1:1 or is it just a nice thing to put on the CV but otherwise irrelevant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

It'll get you interviews, and a positive attitude towards you in your interviewers' minds, before you walk in the door, assuming you can do up a decent CV. In some places it'll get you an extra allowance if you get the job. Most places not, though. Once you walk in the door of an interview, though, it won't mean that much, so don't make the mistake of thinking you'll get the job just because of it. Many have thought this and wondered why they didn't get the job, afterwards. It'll probably get you some extra points in the qualification category when they're marking your interview (on paper or in their minds) but there are a lot of other categories for people to pass you out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've a first in my masters and I think it gets you more notice when applying for a job. If a potential employer is shortlisting candidates, I think have a 1.1 would make you more likely to make that list than not.

I wouldn't think there was any 'practical user' for a 1.1.

Advertisement