Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Therefore, the existing rail schedule will continue beyond 21st July until further notice.

According to the RTE news this evening the service is now expected to continue to September, at least !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I was talking to one of the ticket inspectors as I got on the 06.10 train to Dublin this morning. He said that the NTA have given instructions to IE to maintain the Barrow Viaduct indefinitley and that he could not see IE been given permission to close the line but with IE, anything can happen so expect the unexpected. He also informed me that management at Plunkett Station has submitted a revised timetable to run 3 trains each way, every day but surprise, surprise they have heard nothing back from IE Managment.
    It is quite obvious who the culprit is. Over to you Dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Partizan wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the ticket inspectors as I got on the 06.10 train to Dublin this morning. He said that the NTA have given instructions to IE to maintain the Barrow Viaduct indefinitley and that he could not see IE been given permission to close the line but with IE, anything can happen so expect the unexpected. He also informed me that management at Plunkett Station has submitted a revised timetable to run 3 trains each way, every day but surprise, surprise they have heard nothing back from IE Managment.
    It is quite obvious who the culprit is. Over to you Dick.

Very interesting but I wonder if management at Waterford consulted interested parties before drawing up a three train each way timetable - if they have, which I doubt. They have never sought to develop the line before so why now - more going through the motions I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Very interesting but I wonder if management at Waterford consulted interested parties before drawing up a three train each way timetable - if they have, which I doubt. They have never sought to develop the line before so why now - more going through the motions I suspect.

The reason why they haven't heard back from IE HQ is that they appear to have done and their estimates indicated a huge increase in passenger numbers. It was not the result that Dick wanted to hear, especially as such a timetable could be implemented without altering working practices on the line.

They consulted the gatekeepers and they were told that there would be no major problems in coping with the extra trains. The lad was quite genuine and if this is the case, it does seem that management in Waterford are pulling out the stops to save the line and have presented alternatives to IE Managment. When the 09.30 train to Limerick Junction and the evening on-through service to Wexford was pulled last year, there was an air of disbelief among the staff members at the station judgiing from my conversations with them. The threat of closure has spurred Waterford into action as I think many there have simply have had enough with the antics of Dick and Barry Show.

• Advertisement

Hungerford wrote: »
    The reason why they haven't heard back from IE HQ is that they appear to have done and their estimates indicated a huge increase in passenger numbers. It was not the result that Dick wanted to hear, especially as such a timetable could be implemented without altering working practices on the line.

+1

JD, you appear to be a tad bit cynical towards the crew in Waterford. I know a few of them personally and their sound lads. They are pulling out all the stops to save the line and one of the lads recently commented that footfall is actually up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I think many there have simply have had enough with the antics of Dick and Barry Show.

Quelle surprise....!

+1

JD, you appear to be a tad bit cynical towards the crew in Waterford. I know a few of them personally and their sound lads. They are pulling out all the stops to save the line and one of the lads recently commented that footfall is actually up. :)

You're probably right but after years of dealing with CIE management I would clear out everyone above the grade of depotman throughout the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Right here are my photos from the IRRS outing on the south Wexford line.

Enjoy! :D

?iid=13b7ui&outx=800&quality=70

http://interzonesphotos.fotopic.net/c1873410.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How was the chicken dinner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Haddockman wrote: »
    How was the chicken dinner?

Awkward as hell :o

:D

Right here are my photos from the IRRS outing on the south Wexford line.

Enjoy! :D

?iid=13b7ui&outx=800&quality=70

http://interzonesphotos.fotopic.net/c1873410.html

Nice pics (if you can call any pic of a Commuter railcar nice) but did I miss anything apart from the Chicken dinner? I note there's a sign ready and waiting for me to collect in Wellington Bridge and no need to bring a screwdriver. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

+1

OF COURSE FOOTFALL IS UP WE ARE ADVERTISING THE LINE FOR IR :D

I am indebted to the Waterford/Rosslare Facebook page for drawing my attention to this gem from the Green Party's Dan Boyle in a Dail debate back in 2007. Apart from being full of nonsense about such things as the Cork/Limerick Direct line and 'turntables for freight trains' in Cork it mentions Rosslare and Foynes ports and the need to develop non-radial rail routes. Good old Greens - I haven't heard the bould Dan twittering about the Waterford/Rosslare line. :mad:

http://www.greenparty.ie/ga/government/in_the_dail/speeches/6_mar_07_rail_freight

6 Mar 07 Rail Freight

Mr. Boyle: I am pleased to contribute to the debate on behalf of the Green Party. This is one area in which the three main Opposition parties, who jointly tabled the motion, would make significant changes in the way the country is run.

The motion also highlights the paucity of Government thinking on tackling one of the most important issues globally, namely, climate change. The motion refers to a rational approach to transport policy. Unfortunately, standing in its away is a Cabinet member who has shown no sanity or rationality when it comes to transport policy and it is unfortunate that he is not present to contribute to the debate. I hope he takes an opportunity to answer a number of the charges we will make against him.

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government has made a hollow boast that the very least the Government has managed to achieve is to decouple economic growth from increases in carbon emissions. Such decoupling has been achieved everywhere else in the world. However, this is an even more hollow boast when one considers that road freight over the same period has increased at a faster rate than economic growth. The other side of that equation is that rail freight has decreased accordingly because of the lack of effective Government policy in this area. Road freight accounts for 96% of all freight transported and that percentage is increasing while the European average is 77%. Ireland once had the most extensive rail network in the world. The bones of such a system remain should the political will exist to invest in rail infrastructure on a par with investment in roads. However, last year the Government spent six times as much on roads than on public transport and, as a result, we are lagging behind in what can be achieved.

Other elements of policy need to be put in place. Ports such as Rosslare, Waterford, Foynes and Cork should be used more because they have rail links, which could be connected to the national system, thereby providing for more freight to be carried. The State should move away from a radial rail system, which comprises only lines in and out of Dublin, and restore the remnants of the rail system, which covered all points north, south, east and west. For example, the rail corridor between Cork and Limerick is still in place. It passes through Patrickswell into Limerick city and would obviate the need to travel through Limerick Junction. The western rail corridor could be opened sooner and could be extended further than the Government proposes. Last weekend I read a book on the Letterkenny to Burtonport railway line, which was still in operation in 1935 when my father was a young man. These decisions had a negative effect on the promotion of our rail infrastructure.

Sinister decisions relating to rail freight have been made in recent years. For example, in my constituency, the freight hub in Cork depends on the Norsk facility, which has been put up for sale. In recent years, the rail turntable, which allowed freight trains to change direction, because Cork is a terminus, was dismantled. This was an attempt to disentangle the rail freight infrastructure. Previous speakers are correct that incentives must be provided to achieve a balance between road and rail freight. Under the current system, however, significant subsidies are provided for road freight. The motor tax paid by commercial vehicles on the basis of road space used, the weight of vehicles and the consequent damage done to the road surface is out of proportion with the tax paid by private car users. As the playing pitch in this regard is not level, commercial road freight is subsidised significantly. If the same principle were applied to rail freight, I would be confident that we could begin to turn the current statistics around.

The Minister for Transport has stated he has been informed by Irish Rail about difficulties in expanding rail freight. When I was first elected as a councillor in Cork city in the early 1990s, I asked the manager of Kent Station in Cork about the future of the Cobh suburban line, which was under threat. Thankfully, that is no longer the case. The attitude of the manager, who has since moved on, was that the Cobh line was not worth preserving and when I pointed out that the town had a similar population to Mallow, which is on the Cork to Dublin line, it was news to him. That reflected an attitude that not only existed in Irish Rail but also in the Department of Transport. As a result of biases in perceptions, which are not backed up by statistics or potential, policy decisions have been made that rail freight should go the same way as the rail network in the 19th century. This is not a smokestack industry, as it offers future potential and hope to deal with problems that we have yet to grapple with as a society and on a global level. Rail freight deserves more than the indifference the Government and the Minister are showing towards it.

If rail freight is incentivised effectively, it has the potential to create significant employment growth. Its environmental potential would also be unleashed if we managed to reverse the imbalance between road and rail freight in Ireland. I have run out of hope for the Government in the remaining weeks of this Dáil and, therefore, the next Government should at the very least seek to achieve the same balance between road and rail freight as other European countries, which is 77% by road and 23% by rail. A timeframe of ten years should be set down to achieve that. It will mean investment and a reversal of policy but, in the long run, the country can achieve something it used to when it had the largest network in the world. Until we start believing that and putting such polices in place, rail freight will become a footnote in history. That is not something my party is prepared to allow happen in Government following the next election. Given the track record - to use the pun - of the Government, I cannot see it giving solace in achieving these policy goals.

The Green Party: 16/17 Suffolk Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.
    Tel: +353 (0)1 6790012, Fax: +353 (0)1 6797168, Email: info@greenparty.ie
    Green Party / Comhaontas Glas 2006-2008

And, just to keep the pot boiling I emailed the attached to Senator Dan a few minutes ago - probably should have copied to Gormless too. :D

Dear Senator Boyle,

You may like to know that your speech to the Dail in 2007 on railway policy is currently getting an airing on the Waterford/Rosslare Railway Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=367387502018 and on Boards.ie here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851547&page=57.

The internet is a bugger for catching out the lying ways of politicians!

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

In recent years, the rail turntable, which allowed freight trains to change direction, because Cork is a terminus, was dismantled.

What! Maybe if you're using a steam engine. Whatever happened to running around a train, do tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The internet is a bugger for catching out the lying ways of politicians!
    :D:D:D

I am indebted to the Waterford/Rosslare Facebook page for drawing my attention to this gem from the Green Party's Dan Boyle in a Dail debate back in 2007. Apart from being full of nonsense about such things as the Cork/Limerick Direct line and 'turntables for freight trains' in Cork it mentions Rosslare and Foynes ports and the need to develop non-radial rail routes. Good old Greens - I haven't heard the bould Dan twittering about the Waterford/Rosslare line. :mad:

http://www.greenparty.ie/ga/government/in_the_dail/speeches/6_mar_07_rail_freight

6 Mar 07 Rail Freight

Mr. Boyle: I am pleased to contribute to the debate on behalf of the Green Party. This is one area in which the three main Opposition parties, who jointly tabled the motion, would make significant changes in the way the country is run.

The motion also highlights the paucity of Government thinking on tackling one of the most important issues globally, namely, climate change. The motion refers to a rational approach to transport policy. Unfortunately, standing in its away is a Cabinet member who has shown no sanity or rationality when it comes to transport policy and it is unfortunate that he is not present to contribute to the debate. I hope he takes an opportunity to answer a number of the charges we will make against him.

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government has made a hollow boast that the very least the Government has managed to achieve is to decouple economic growth from increases in carbon emissions. Such decoupling has been achieved everywhere else in the world. However, this is an even more hollow boast when one considers that road freight over the same period has increased at a faster rate than economic growth. The other side of that equation is that rail freight has decreased accordingly because of the lack of effective Government policy in this area. Road freight accounts for 96% of all freight transported and that percentage is increasing while the European average is 77%. Ireland once had the most extensive rail network in the world. The bones of such a system remain should the political will exist to invest in rail infrastructure on a par with investment in roads. However, last year the Government spent six times as much on roads than on public transport and, as a result, we are lagging behind in what can be achieved.

Other elements of policy need to be put in place. Ports such as Rosslare, Waterford, Foynes and Cork should be used more because they have rail links, which could be connected to the national system, thereby providing for more freight to be carried. The State should move away from a radial rail system, which comprises only lines in and out of Dublin, and restore the remnants of the rail system, which covered all points north, south, east and west. For example, the rail corridor between Cork and Limerick is still in place. It passes through Patrickswell into Limerick city and would obviate the need to travel through Limerick Junction. The western rail corridor could be opened sooner and could be extended further than the Government proposes. Last weekend I read a book on the Letterkenny to Burtonport railway line, which was still in operation in 1935 when my father was a young man. These decisions had a negative effect on the promotion of our rail infrastructure.

Sinister decisions relating to rail freight have been made in recent years. For example, in my constituency, the freight hub in Cork depends on the Norsk facility, which has been put up for sale. In recent years, the rail turntable, which allowed freight trains to change direction, because Cork is a terminus, was dismantled. This was an attempt to disentangle the rail freight infrastructure. Previous speakers are correct that incentives must be provided to achieve a balance between road and rail freight. Under the current system, however, significant subsidies are provided for road freight. The motor tax paid by commercial vehicles on the basis of road space used, the weight of vehicles and the consequent damage done to the road surface is out of proportion with the tax paid by private car users. As the playing pitch in this regard is not level, commercial road freight is subsidised significantly. If the same principle were applied to rail freight, I would be confident that we could begin to turn the current statistics around.

The Minister for Transport has stated he has been informed by Irish Rail about difficulties in expanding rail freight. When I was first elected as a councillor in Cork city in the early 1990s, I asked the manager of Kent Station in Cork about the future of the Cobh suburban line, which was under threat. Thankfully, that is no longer the case. The attitude of the manager, who has since moved on, was that the Cobh line was not worth preserving and when I pointed out that the town had a similar population to Mallow, which is on the Cork to Dublin line, it was news to him. That reflected an attitude that not only existed in Irish Rail but also in the Department of Transport. As a result of biases in perceptions, which are not backed up by statistics or potential, policy decisions have been made that rail freight should go the same way as the rail network in the 19th century. This is not a smokestack industry, as it offers future potential and hope to deal with problems that we have yet to grapple with as a society and on a global level. Rail freight deserves more than the indifference the Government and the Minister are showing towards it.

If rail freight is incentivised effectively, it has the potential to create significant employment growth. Its environmental potential would also be unleashed if we managed to reverse the imbalance between road and rail freight in Ireland. I have run out of hope for the Government in the remaining weeks of this Dáil and, therefore, the next Government should at the very least seek to achieve the same balance between road and rail freight as other European countries, which is 77% by road and 23% by rail. A timeframe of ten years should be set down to achieve that. It will mean investment and a reversal of policy but, in the long run, the country can achieve something it used to when it had the largest network in the world. Until we start believing that and putting such polices in place, rail freight will become a footnote in history. That is not something my party is prepared to allow happen in Government following the next election. Given the track record - to use the pun - of the Government, I cannot see it giving solace in achieving these policy goals.

The Green Party: 16/17 Suffolk Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.
    Tel: +353 (0)1 6790012, Fax: +353 (0)1 6797168, Email: info@greenparty.ie
    Green Party / Comhaontas Glas 2006-2008

actually he was tweeting about the rail line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

JD, I don't things it's particularly wise to be holding politicians up to ridicule or criticism like this, particularly when they might support the cause of the rail line, AND acutally be in a position to help.

If a politician helps, make it known generally. If a politician doesn't help, then say nothing.

The internet might be a bugger for catching out the lying ways of politicians, but it's also adept at damaging the very cause for which you and others are striving.

actually he was tweeting about the rail line

Well he must have been twittering very quietly! If he wants to get his message out there he should be shouting from the rooftops.

• Advertisement

shamwari wrote: »
    JD, I don't things it's particularly wise to be holding politicians up to ridicule like this, particularly when they might support the cause of the rail line, AND acutally be in a position to help.

The internet might be a bugger for catching out the lying ways of politicians, but it's also adept at damaging the very cause for which you and others are striving.

Well it's the only way I know. Lying back and waiting for the useless ****ers to take the lead and we really are in trouble. Embarrassing them into action is the only way and they should have thick enough skins if they are in politics.

Good piece in today's Irish Times but, yet again, not enough detailed examination of the cock eyed timetable.

Plan to close Rosslare-Waterford railway labelled 'reckless foolishness'

MICHAEL PARSONS

BUSINESS LEADERS in the southeast have described as “reckless foolishness” the planned closure of the Rosslare to Waterford railway line, linking two of the country’s principal ports.

The service, which had been due to close permanently from tomorrow, has received a temporary reprieve as various State bodies argue over its future.

Iarnród Éireann has confirmed that its plan to “suspend” trains from July 21st and launch a replacement Bus Éireann service will not be implemented as scheduled. The closure of the line cannot proceed without the approval of the National Transport Authority, which is not now expected to announce its decision until “at least” September.

The railway line has been operating since 1906, but has suffered a decline in use in recent years and now offers just one train a day in each direction, with no Sunday service. Iarnród Éireann says the line is no longer economically viable, and attracts a daily average of only 25 passengers.

But South East Chambers, an “umbrella body” representing chambers of commerce in Carlow, Clonmel, Dungarvan, Enniscorthy, Gorey, Kilkenny, New Ross, Waterford and Wexford have said the planned closure was “not acceptable”, and the decision had been made in “an ivory tower in Dublin”.

In an “open letter”, the chambers accused Iarnród Éireann of running down and ignoring the Rosslare-Waterford line, and said a replacement bus service would “fly in the face of Ireland’s commitment to the Kyoto protocol to reduce carbon emissions”.

They pointed out “the great success of the Dart and Luas” proved that “properly managed rail transport attracts a greater volume of passengers than buses”.

The letter also berated Iarnród Éireann for having “closed down railway lines with great enthusiasm”, including the “beloved Waterford to Tramore line, which was actually showing a profit”.

Tanya Fenelon, chair of Save the Railway Group, said the line had a future if Iarnród Éireann carried more freight to Belview (Waterford) and Rosslare ports; improved the timetable to connect with other lines, and expanded the service by running three trains a day, instead of just one.

She contrasted poor service in Rosslare with that “on the Welsh side at Fishguard, where dedicated ‘boat trains’ link immediately with London-bound high-speed trains at Swansea and Cardiff”.

Ms Fenelon said “during the recent airspace closure, the Waterford-Rosslare train was standing room only – testimony to the line’s strategic economic importance as an integral part of this State’s southern sea-rail access corridor”.

Opposing replacement buses, she claimed “the train is a much cheaper alternative at present than travelling by bus”, explaining “the Bus Éireann fare is nearly twice as expensive as the train: an adult return ticket from Rosslare Harbour to Waterford is €20.50 while a rail ticket is €10.50”.

On Iarnród Éireann’s claim that the line is losing money, she said last Saturday evening she “counted 43 passengers boarding at Waterford” but “there was no ticket checker on board”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0720/1224275074086.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I think we should be grateful that the Internet is around to expose the lies made by CIE over the years. But there are issues, and in the past I have hardly been a saint in relation to this.

The constant insults towards the IRRS, and other organisations have become tedious to the point where the detractors are becoming worse than the trainspotters. Its actually a dangerous situation, where the likes of CIE, FF, and the DOT will be the winners, while the various factions bicker amongst themselves.

Those who ban me from their sites are not worthy of my anger, or contempt. Its a waste of time.

I know that more of the rail network could have survived with proper lobbying. There is a need for respect of those with engineering and technical knowledge of the logistical aspects involved. This knowledge is required to counteract the lies peddled by the CIE spin machine.

By contrast, there is a need to counteract those who believe that rail can be all things to all people, and solve a multitude of problems in cities and regions.

In between lies logic, reason, and sanity.

The Rosslare to Waterford line shows a situation where extra services can carry more passengers, and reduce the difference between the expensive provision of infrastructure and revenue to an acceptable level.

Cutting services will not solve the cash deficit on operations. More efficient operational practices will. The problem is that the DOT, CIE and others are unwilling to engage in the changes required.

What happens in 20, 30 or 40 years time, when CIE announces that it needs to expand commuter services on the South Wexford. While the economy is in the dumps now, who is to say what happens in the future. The reopening of Cork to Midleton is one example of this. The proposed and perpetually postponed reopening of Clonsilla to Navan is another.

At present, it costs 4 Million Euro to operate the route. Upgrading and providing a better Wexford to Waterford service would cost around 40 Million, including upgraded track, level crossings, faster timetables to make it compete with road. Under IE's "care and maintainance", it would cost 150 Million based on the costs of reopening Ennis to Athenry. The difference being 27 years of operational costs. In the short to medium term, cutting the service would make no difference to the deficit.

Worse again, it would allow closures of Limerick to Ballybrophy, Claremorris to Ballina, Limerick Junction to Waterford to come up on the cards. Closing them would barely dent the operational deficit, and more customers are likely to be lost. After that, there will be a gradual cascade, with more closures on the cards every 5 or 6 years. Northern Ireland Railways shows that pruning can go too far, to the point where the patient barely survives. Some would argue that it is long overdue, considering the motorway network now. Unfortunately, there would be some rationale in their argument, and as time goes on, my gravity towards the development of the rail network diminishes. I am sure I am not alone there.

There is mention of the likes of Waterford to Tramore, and the Harcourt Street line which could have survived if retained beyond the 1960's closure period. There is no doubt in my mind that closures and pruning were necessary in the 1950's and 1960's, but at this point, not now.

The last time mass closures took place was in 1976. Guess.....the operational deficit continued to balloon, albeit in an era of high inflation. If it happens again, the deficit will continue to grow, because there is no confidence in CIE, from the Government, customers, or the media because of continued scandals, corruption and incompetence.

Sadly, there are decent people in CIE, who have gone beyond the call of duty. Their hard work is undone by the managers, and union leaders who serve to bring down the organisation as a whole.

dermo88 wrote: »
    The last time mass closures took place was in 1976.

I don't suppose that anyone could identify the lines cut in 1976? Surely we wouldn't be reopening them now, would we? :D

I think we should be grateful that the Internet is around to expose the lies made by CIE over the years. But there are issues, and in the past I have hardly been a saint in relation to this.

The constant insults towards the IRRS, and other organisations have become tedious to the point where the detractors are becoming worse than the trainspotters. Its actually a dangerous situation, where the likes of CIE, FF, and the DOT will be the winners, while the various factions bicker amongst themselves.

Those who ban me from their sites are not worthy of my anger, or contempt. Its a waste of time.

I know that more of the rail network could have survived with proper lobbying. There is a need for respect of those with engineering and technical knowledge of the logistical aspects involved. This knowledge is required to counteract the lies peddled by the CIE spin machine.

By contrast, there is a need to counteract those who believe that rail can be all things to all people, and solve a multitude of problems in cities and regions.

In between lies logic, reason, and sanity.

The Rosslare to Waterford line shows a situation where extra services can carry more passengers, and reduce the difference between the expensive provision of infrastructure and revenue to an acceptable level.

Cutting services will not solve the cash deficit on operations. More efficient operational practices will. The problem is that the DOT, CIE and others are unwilling to engage in the changes required.

What happens in 20, 30 or 40 years time, when CIE announces that it needs to expand commuter services on the South Wexford. While the economy is in the dumps now, who is to say what happens in the future. The reopening of Cork to Midleton is one example of this. The proposed and perpetually postponed reopening of Clonsilla to Navan is another.

At present, it costs 4 Million Euro to operate the route. Upgrading and providing a better Wexford to Waterford service would cost around 40 Million, including upgraded track, level crossings, faster timetables to make it compete with road. Under IE's "care and maintainance", it would cost 150 Million based on the costs of reopening Ennis to Athenry. The difference being 27 years of operational costs. In the short to medium term, cutting the service would make no difference to the deficit.

THE COST OF THE LINE IS 1.9M NOT 4M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Thanks for correcting me. E1.9 Million is even better, and less justification for a closure.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

But South East Chambers, an “umbrella body” representing chambers of commerce in Carlow, Clonmel, Dungarvan, Enniscorthy, Gorey, Kilkenny, New Ross, Waterford and Wexford have said the planned closure was “not acceptable”, and the decision had been made in “an ivory tower in Dublin”.

In an “open letter”, the chambers accused Iarnród Éireann of running down and ignoring the Rosslare-Waterford line, and said a replacement bus service would “fly in the face of Ireland’s commitment to the Kyoto protocol to reduce carbon emissions”.

They pointed out “the great success of the Dart and Luas” proved that “properly managed rail transport attracts a greater volume of passengers than buses”.

Didn't the Chambers in Dublin oppose the Luas and any other sort of public transport ?

Thanks for correcting me. E1.9 Million is even better, and less justification for a closure.

It's okay. Dick Fearn has been throwing out so many downright inaccurate figures over the past month or two that it's hard to keep up. He started at €2.5m before deciding to up it to €4m when he began encountering resistance. The real figure is €1.9m.

Hungerford wrote: »
    It's okay. Dick Fearn has been throwing out so many downright inaccurate figures over the past month or two that it's hard to keep up. He started at €2.5m before deciding to up it to €4m when he began encountering resistance. The real figure is €1.9m.

There's lies, damned lies and in Dick Fearn's case more damned lies! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If passenger service is discontinued, at least some of the track infrastructure has to be preserved to allow Waterford-Belview movements, so at least some running costs such as parts of the signalling must continue. Unless IE wants to kill that business too, of course...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement