Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

What are the chances of a private operator being successfull and given control of the line? What about the unions?

Are they then responsible for the rolling stock, maintenance, signalling, staff etc or does IE still have control of the network and responsible for maintenance?

I think with the 3 interested private operators is exciting news. At last we could see proper services on the line (God forbid a Sunday service) as well as a regular Waterford - Wexford and Rosslare - Limerick Junction Return service with connections at Limerick Junction for trains to Dublin, Cork, Galway and Kerry.

If this proves to be a success, will the private operator be looking to expand to Limerick Junction or even Waterford - Kilmacthomas or (yes I know i'm getting into fantasy here) reinstating Waterford - Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

SRG Campaigners have called on the NTA/IE and the Minister to have IE's business case for closure made public :rolleyes:

I doubt they will voluntarily release it. From what glimpses we have of it in the SERA report, it appears to have been written in crayon by Barry Kenny.

Partizan wrote: »
    What are the chances of a private operator being successfull and given control of the line? What about the unions?

IE would be responsible for the network; the private operator would provide their own rolling stock or rent it from IE. The unions would be delighted as it would save the jobs of their members who currently work on the line.

As for the chances of success: unknown as it's never been tried before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Hungerford wrote: »
    IE would be responsible for the network; the private operator would provide their own rolling stock or rent it from IE. The unions would be delighted as it would save the jobs of their members who currently work on the line.

The jobs are safe anyway the staff can re-locate if they want

When will the names of the private interested parties be released? If indeed they have put in solid proposals to run the line, I presume they are no amatures or spivs and have had experience in this line of work. What is the scope of them expanding and reopening other closed lines?

Anyway, interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have it from an informed source (yesterday) that another "Farewell" tour over the South Wexford is being planned for September as the lines is still going to close. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Don't knock it! If they have one of these tours every few months it might count as an extra service on the line!
    I have it from an informed source (yesterday) that another "Farewell" tour over the South Wexford is being planned for September as the lines is still going to close. Seriously.

The sandal wearers must be going for a world record of farewell tours and chicken dinners.

Seriously, one must wonder whether or not they and IE are in cahoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I doubt they will voluntarily release it. From what glimpses we have of it in the SERA report, it appears to have been written in crayon by Barry Kenny.
    I think i might FOI them for the hoot. I am well prepared to fight it all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The unions would be delighted as it would save the jobs of their members
    I doubt it. It would be the thin end of a fairly obvious wedge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Haddockman wrote: »
    I think i might FOI them for the hoot. I am well prepared to fight it all the way.

Irish Rail are exempt from FOI act.

But the NTA are not.

But the NTA are not.

Nor are the Department of Transport.

I actually suspect that the real juice would be in the DoT files.

The problem is that IE can hold as many farewell tours as they like over the line, the NTA have demonstrated that they would like to have the final say.

Anyway, the closure notice under the 1958 Transport Act is legally unsound in a number of unexciting but significant ways, meaning that any attempt to shut the line using it will wind up in the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Anyway, the closure notice under the 1958 Transport Act is legally unsound in a number of unexciting but significant ways, meaning that any attempt to shut the line using it will wind up in the courts.
    Provided someone has the time and means to pursue it that way.

There will be. ;)

shamwari wrote: »
    Provided someone has the time and means to pursue it that way.

I believe that the first shots were fired regarding the notice's illegally a while ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

You're joking good sir, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm digging up some buried memory of being told that a UK statutory instrument had to be issued to allow closure of Waterford-Mallow - which the Fishguard and Rosslare had acquired at one point, due it to being a "UK railway". Of course it the F&RR&H shares were under BR at the time. I can't find said SI cause the UK's egovernment systems are ****e compared to ours.

Is there any possibility something similar could still be required?

There would have to be a UK Act of Parliament to close the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has anyone made the NTA aware of that? I'd suspect its obscure enough knowledge.

The line would not be closed. Just shortened to Belview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

who is supposed to be running that? its not on IRRS tour list

The last one wasn't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

The last one wasn't either.

the last time IRRS had it listed as a tour, just not a farewell tour

who is supposed to be running that? its not on IRRS tour list

Sorry.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFd_F6dfqJUTOQNvwpMxzsUzqIRIvlasAHCWmu80koEBPpXX4&t=1&usg=__9dz69FaNmd2WsTx8YIE1PDxSUxM=

So this is will be the official farewell tour?

Don't know about official but word amongst enthusiasts seems to be that the NTA are going to give CIE/IE the nod for closure in September and the line will close the next day as notice has already been given. Although it grieves me to say it, and I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but I think all the speculation about private interests taking over the line will come to nothing. Interestingly a well known face in the railway fraternity has been appointed to the Board of the NTA see here: http://www.nationaltransport.ie/board.html

I agree with JD - I think that closure is the easy option and the only entities in this country this government will make a tough call for is the banks.

• Advertisement

Don't know about official but word amongst enthusiasts seems to be that the NTA are going to give CIE/IE the nod for closure in September and the line will close the next day as notice has already been given.

I am not so certain - none of this has played to IE's preferred script.

The reason why they are so desperate to shut the line appears to be the fact that the EU has allocated €17 million for the upgrade of the line. This will prevent its closure because it will end up with CTC and automated gates.

As well as that there appears to be an element in IE who want to close the line, keep it officially open for traffic and trouser the upgrade money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement