Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

check out:

http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Heavy_Rail/The_Railway_Safety_Programme.html for the 17.6m

also the line feeds directly into the TEN line so
    Irish Rail can potentially access funding to upgrade lines that feed directly to key European routes such as the TEN route linking Cork to Dublin and Belfast. The total EU funding of around €5-600 million exists under this initiative and all that is required is an application to upgrade signalling, track and crossing and for a commitment by the Irish government to match EU spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lika3

So it seems another tour is set to be run on the line by IRRS 11th Sept :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lika3 wrote: »
    So it seems another tour is set to be run on the line by IRRS 11th Sept :eek:

why not sure, its getting **** all other use.
    the more tours the better, anything that helps highlight this shambles to as many as possible.

what motive power this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

All the info here: http://www.irrs.ie/Railtours/172R%20South%20Wexford%20Outing.htm

A 2800 series railcar - yuk!! Chicken dinner again at Rosslare - the fossils IRRS really know how to look after themselves. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Look at the date its on, 9/11.

Are the IRRS planning a spectacular event a la Al-Queda?

• Advertisement

Partizan wrote: »
    Look at the date its on, 9/11.

no, its on 11/9/10, not 9/11/10
    :rolleyes: Welcome to the world outside backward Americanisms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

no, its on 11/9/10, not 9/11/10
    :rolleyes: Welcome to the world outside backward Americanisms

Yes but its still 9/11.

Are the sock & sandal wearers planning something spectacular?

LOCAL AUTHORITIES in the southeast and midwest regions have called on Iarnród Éireann not to close the Rosslare to Waterford railway line.

A decision on closing the service is expected next month from the National Transport Authority.

Councils in Carlow, Clare, Kilkenny, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford have jointly submitted a report prepared by “international consultants” and which claims the service could have a future if it was marketed properly, ran a more frequent service and attracted more freight business.

Cllr John Cummins, chairman of the South-East Regional Authority, said the proposed closure was “a half-baked, short-sighted decision that flies in the face of a range of public policies” such as “balanced regional development”, “sustainable travel” and “switching from road to rail and from cars to public transport”.

But Iarnród Éireann claims the line is losing money, attracts an average of only about 25 passengers per day and has lost much of its freight business since the demise of the Irish sugar industry for which it used to transport beet.
    Some of the article.

The highlighted quote is just ridiculous, what about all those multinational that want to use it for freight but have been told to **** off. IE have spin doctors as good as the gov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

All the info here: http://www.irrs.ie/Railtours/172R%20South%20Wexford%20Outing.htm

A 2800 series railcar - yuk!! Chicken dinner again at Rosslare - the fossils IRRS really know how to look after themselves. :D
    Yippeee it is going through Carlow, i will be out with video camera to record the train spotters climbing the signal poles etc:)
    Catering facilities will be available on this train provided by Railgourmet
    on a railcar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yippeee it is going through Carlow, i will be out with video camera to record the train spotters climbing the signal poles etc:)

on a railcar?

I presume the catering is a trolley, they did that with railcars for years on Sligo and Rosslare services so don't see why this would be any different.

I presume the catering is a trolley, they did that with railcars for years on Sligo and Rosslare services so don't see why this would be any different.
    i'll set the burco up on the platform in carlow and flog hot tea and hob nobs to the travelling hoards:D

has anyone heard anything from any official quarter about the lines fate?

i'll set the burco up on the platform in carlow and flog hot tea and hob nobs to the travelling hoards:D

has anyone heard anything from any official quarter about the lines fate?

Nope, but this is Fianna Fail's 'joined up thinking outside the box' Ireland so I think we can assume that closure is inevitable. I wonder will Dempsey and Cuffe be down to perform the last rites? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the fossils IRRS
    Play nice. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't know how the Malahide Viaduct was constructed.

[QUOTE=Judgement Day - the fossils IRRS really know how to look after themselves. :D[/QUOTE]

In fairness some of them have been supportive and have helped with info for the campaign :cool:

Victor wrote: »
    Play nice. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't know how the Malahide Viaduct was constructed.

I thought they didn't know and that was the problem;)

I thought they didn't know and that was the problem;)
    they did have certain information i presume in their archives which irish rail should have had on file and been working with on weekly/monthly/yearly inspections above and below the waterline.

• Advertisement

corrected link as above

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/irish-rail-company-eireann--looking-to-offload-iconic-intercity-trains-14918542.html
    "These were phased out in recent years as our new fleet came in," he said. "The last run was in November last year. They are air-conditioned, but they don't have the modern comfort standards passengers expect.

Apart from being way more comfortable than the new trains...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/irish-rail-company-eireann--looking-to-offload-iconic-intercity-trains-14918542.html

Apart from being way more comfortable than the new trains...[/QUOTE]

I agree at least with the old trains there was more room in the seats and the table was usable unlike the "ironing board" excuse for a table on the new ones. :mad:

I agree at least with the old trains there was more room in the seats and the table was usable unlike the "ironing board" excuse for a table on the new ones. :mad:
    the tables in the new trains are too big and bulky, but the new trains are much quieter and more comfortable than the old if you get a seat.

the tables in the new trains are too big and bulky, but the new trains are much quieter and more comfortable than the old if you get a seat.

TOO BIG??????? :rolleyes: you obviously are not referring to the Rosslare-Dublin trains they are tiny, only enough room for 1 of the 4 sitting there to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I agree. The tables are woefully small for any practical use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

thast very inaccurate, In fact the assets were seized by creditors.

corktina wrote: »
    thast very inaccurate, In fact the assets were seized by creditors.

Incorrect - most of the track, sleepers etc were stolen by locals. One individual was caught red handed by the RIC removing a bridge (!) - I have the whole story somewhere but I won't be able to put it up for some time. I published an article on the 'stolen' railway years ago and am fairly sure of my information,

Incorrect - most of the track, sleepers etc were stolen by locals. One individual was caught red handed by the RIC removing a bridge (!) - I have the whole story somewhere but I won't be able to put it up for some time. I published an article on the 'stolen' railway years ago and am fairly sure of my information,

removing a bridge?!?
    what the hell, how was he even going about it?

that story sounds funny, sad and ridiculous all at the same time.

TOO BIG??????? :rolleyes: you obviously are not referring to the Rosslare-Dublin trains they are tiny, only enough room for 1 of the 4 sitting there to use
    tables on the 22000s are too bulky and too large for what they are needed for, holding a magazine and cup of coffee/tea but they will comfortably hold 4 laptopt but will not replace an office desk!

• Advertisement

removing a bridge?!?
    what the hell, how was he even going about it?

that story sounds funny, sad and ridiculous all at the same time.

A snippet about the theft of an entire station building in one night here: :D

Most interesting of all rail routes in Offaly was the development of the short-lived Parsonstown and Portuma Bridge Railway. This route has been described as one of the most heroic failures in railway legend. Known as the "stolen railway" it started in 1861 when the Earl of Clanrickarde was granted permission to build the 12 mile link. After financial difficulties it finally opened when the third contractor made it to Portumna in 1868. Two trains ran each day at about 6.00am and 9.30pm, while the train could only come within a mile of Portumna as Portumna Bridge was deemed unsafe for rail travel. After losing £2,000 a year for ten years the link was abandoned as a financial disaster. This abandonment was the signal for the commencement of a systematic campaign of looting. Rails, sleepers, signals, signposts and footbridges all disappeared, until finally Portumna Station Buildings themselves were removed one night.

http://www.offalyhistory.com/articles/128/1/Road-Rail-and-Water-Transport-in-Offaly/Page1.html

At least CIE's scorched earth policy means that there aren't many buildings on the South Wexford line worth stealing. Barrow Bridge in one night anybody?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement