Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i can get a low loader if your up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Those carriages will not be sold. This is just IE's way of justifying their scrappage "no market for them". Who would take on the cost of regauging them and making them comply with local standards?

It would be funny if Translink bought them to use on express Belfast-Derry services but they don't have that sort of cash and have their own relics to dispose of (Class 450/Class 80).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres a big demand for Mk3s in the UK where spare bogies are available from all the withdrawn mk3 sleepers etc. They would need gutting and refurbishing anyway so complaince isnt a problem. Just look whats been done with Mk2s in new Zealand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Happened across this by chance this evening:

http://bollinsl.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/bridgetown/

Posted by bollinsl on April 4, 2010

Asked the clerk in Heuston Station for a return ticket to Bridgetown.
    Do we go there? she asked.
    Yes, I replied firmly.
    Where is it near?
    Waterford.
    She gave me a ticket tp Bridgetown.
    I changed in Limerick Junction.
    Difficult job getting a taxi from Bridgetown to Kilmore Quay.
    It never ceases to amaze me how few people have heard of the railway from Waterford to Rosslare, including Irish Rail staff!
    No wonder traffic levels are low.
    The Incredible Barrow Bridge never fails to impress – the third longest railway bridge in Ireland and the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

Passenger numbers for last week

Monday - over 40 passengers
    Tuesday - 26 passengers
    Wednesday - full train
    Thursday - full train
    Friday - full train

Wed, Thurs & Fri WIT college enrolment

Students all flocked on to the train to enrol for WIT

Can IR explain these numbers? I wonder how many ticket sales there was on any of those days?
    Wed, Thurs & Fri prove that the train is needed for students.
    A lot more people are going to college now than a few years ago due to the recession, before young people left school and walked straight into a job, be it building or retail.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Passenger numbers for last week

Monday - over 40 passengers
    Tuesday - 26 passengers
    Wednesday - full train
    Thursday - full train
    Friday - full train

Wed, Thurs & Fri WIT college enrolment

Students all flocked on to the train to enrol for WIT

Can IR explain these numbers? I wonder how many ticket sales there was on any of those days?
    Wed, Thurs & Fri prove that the train is needed for students.
    A lot more people are going to college now than a few years ago due to the recession, before young people left school and walked straight into a job, be it building or retail.

Not saying there's any error in these numbers, but who counted?

Also, this will probably be a once off thing with a lot of those students probably never taking the train again (except maybe to go home at weekends) because the station is miles away from the IT.

When i was in WIT ~5 years ago and i used to take the 18.30 (i think it was that time or close enough) to Dublin most weekdays, there were literally the same 5 people everyday taking the Rosslare train in the evening.

Maybe things have changed :confused:

1830 is quite a late train when you take it in context with college and schools turning out about 16.00 and work about 17.00. Was/is there any train between 17.00 and 18.30? If not its an example of manipulating the timetable to minimise usage as a precurser to closure surely!

Whatever about those figures, they show there is a demand for trains that go to places at times when they have a useful function.

corktina wrote: »
    1830 is quite a late train when you take it in context with college and schools turning out about 16.00 and work about 17.00. Was/is there any train between 17.00 and 18.30? If not its an example of manipulating the timetable to minimise usage as a precurser to closure surely!

Whatever about those figures, they show there is a demand for trains that go to places at times when they have a useful function.

Sorry if i was unclear. The train i was taking was at around 18.30 but i think at the time the Rosslare one was around 17.30ish.

I was just usually finished early and could only spend so long traipsing around Waterford, poor student and all that i was, so i used to just head over to the station and read :pac: and i often saw the same 2 business men and 3 schoolgirls getting on the train heading down to Rosslare.

Not saying there's any error in these numbers, but who counted?

two seperate commuters and they have been giving numbers for a while with most days 35-45 passengers. The obvious thing here is if there were that many travelling to enrol in WIT then obviously they will be travelling daily. Also as i mentioned in the above post there are a lot more going to college as they have nothing else to do now, no jobs and stricter conditions on the dole makes college more attractive now than ever.

THERE IS A NEED FOR TRAINS ON THIS LINE TO FACILITATE STUDENTS AND COMMUTERS. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The students will not travel daily. WIT is too far from the train station. They might once a week to go home.

• Advertisement

Haddockman wrote: »
    The students will not travel daily. WIT is too far from the train station. They might once a week to go home.

When money was plentiful people stayed in Waterford instead of coming home, they were also able to get part time jobs to fund accommadation and expenses BUT now families are struggling, jobs are scarce and students are staying at home as its cheaper, rent free, meals cooked, washing done ect.

Most of the students surveyed stated in the survey that they would be travelling daily to college. As for workers they will travel daily.

two seperate commuters and they have been giving numbers for a while with most days 35-45 passengers. The obvious thing here is if there were that many travelling to enrol in WIT then obviously they will be travelling daily. Also as i mentioned in the above post there are a lot more going to college as they have nothing else to do now, no jobs and stricter conditions on the dole makes college more attractive now than ever.

THERE IS A NEED FOR TRAINS ON THIS LINE TO FACILITATE STUDENTS AND COMMUTERS. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, you're obviously keeping a closer eye on the situation than i am. Don't have a whole lot of knowledge on that neck of the woods personally.

The only thing i will say is that enrollment is only a one day thing for students and everyone who is doing a course at WIT (even off campus in a different location or evening classes etc.) has to show up at some point during the three days so there's nothing to say they'll be using the train everyday or indeed that they won't.

no the figures porove nothing except the potential usefulness of the line with the right timetable and promotion, both of which its been deliberately denied.

Fair enough, you're obviously keeping a closer eye on the situation than i am. Don't have a whole lot of knowledge on that neck of the woods personally.

The only thing i will say is that enrollment is only a one day thing for students and everyone who is doing a course at WIT (even off campus in a different location or evening classes etc.) has to show up at some point during the three days so there's nothing to say they'll be using the train everyday or indeed that they won't.

The only thing I'm saying is that as a result of the hugh number going to enrol in WIT there is a POTENTIAL for high passenger numbers on this route BUT if IR get their way no-one will know, will they. That's why they want the decision BEFORE college starts because they are afraid that it will be proven that the line has potential

not any more, the cost of accomodation is too high for most families now many with more than one going to college so more and more will be bussing and getting trains to and from college on a daily basis like was done in the 80's before the boom years.

a week(7days/nights) full board lodging for maynooth students in the 80's would cost £57-£60 which included breakfast packed lunch(5days) and evening meal and supper, while monday-friday was only £47. think how much it costs to accommodate just one student today, over €70/week on rent alone before food washing esb gas etc and they will have to pay rent during the holidays!

What would a student monthly ticket cost on the South Wexford?

E180 at the moment but if the Community Rail Partnership comes to fore the aim will be to have that reduced

i dont know and it seems they only accept email enquires monday-friday 8am-5pm but in another email said my enquiry would be passed to the person best suited to deal with it.

Student monthly season from Waterford to Rosslare is €172.

Expensive enough.

• Advertisement

E180 at the moment but if the Community Rail Partnership comes to fore the aim will be to have that reduced
    €180 between which stations? i am assuming this can only be used between waterford and the originating station? is it valid weekends and holidays or just weekdays?

Expensive enough.
    how much is student rents in waterford and food esb bills gas/oil bills etc etc and there is still going to be bus/train fares for weekend trips home with washing. it seems expensive but is far cheaper than the alternative.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    €180 between which stations? i am assuming this can only be used between waterford and the originating station? is it valid weekends and holidays or just weekdays?

The figure i quoted was between Waterford and Rosslare Strand so that'd cover everything in between. Valid between the two dates stated on the tickets regardless of weekends, bank holidays etc. Only not valid on specials.

Need a student travel card to get one, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

172 for a train to and from college daily for a month- Certainly is nothing compared to the 400+ it would cost to live in Waterford during the week.

Fair enuff folks.

Fair enuff folks.
    good to see people thinking about the actual cost of this line to passengers that will hopefully be using it as the irish rail website has very little information on fares that is understandable. see note i and midweek webfares only etc there should be a reliable fares calculater so customers can see the real cost of their journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Also to be taken into account is if it could have a connect to Wexford Town station for the mornings that students from Wexford could come down because Bus/Rail connections aren't great (or non existant) from Wexford town. And WIT has a big proportion of Wexford students.

Also to be taken into account is if it could have a connect to Wexford Town station for the mornings that students from Wexford could come down because Bus/Rail connections aren't great (or non existant) from Wexford town. And WIT has a big proportion of Wexford students.

One of the main things mentioned in both the Campaigners and SERA submission is the need for wexford to be linked onto that line. The rosslare - waterford road is a "red route" road according to guards, so IF the link was made with wexford it would reduce the amount of traffic and hopefully cut down on the amount of accidents on that road. The main things is that there HAS to be MORE than 1 train each way daily.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

I was chatting to a staffer at Rosslare Port the other day who told me that the numbers of foot passengers on the ferries each sailing are around 60 to 70 and sometimes up to 100 . Unfortunately none of the trains coincide with the ferry arrivals or departures...Clever..eh?:confused:

• Advertisement

I was chatting to a staffer at Rosslare Port the other day who told me that the numbers of foot passengers on the ferries each sailing are around 60 to 70 and sometimes up to 100 . Unfortunately none of the trains coincide with the ferry arrivals or departures...Clever..eh?:confused:

there are photos on the facebook campaign to support the fact, last trip Rosslare to Fishguard had 136 getting off the ferry on to the train and at 1:30am 86 got off the train and on to the ferry in Fishguard for Rosslare

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=367387502018&v=photos&ref=ts#!/photo.php?pid=1500903&fbid=1517335008626&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=367387502018&id=1092000966

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement