Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

why dont those figures surprise me? it shows there is a market for a train (for Dublin at any rate) from Rosslare meeting the ferry.

IE, the game is up, you cant keep doing what you are at....WE know what you are up to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What about BE's many many buses to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

Haddockman wrote: »
    What about BE's many many buses to Dublin?

what about them?

yeah, thats the same as saying what about all the cars that run on that route. If the railway can compete with the buses, then it should.

Well BE can claim a connection to every ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There is one bus with capacity for 53 people every two hours between 9pm and 8am so what time do ferries get in at?

and maybe they do BUT take this scenario:

One woman 2 small children 1 pushchair.

Needs to fold buggy,put it away, get 2 small children on to 4 very high steps then rummage for money then has to decide which child she will sit with or will she put both together and her across or behind them or will they all squash into one seat? God help them if they need to go to the toilet.

Mobility Impaired:

Needs help to get on to bus (unfortunately if you are wheelchair bound you will be turned away) gets into seat, who will help them at the other end of the journey to get back off?

God forbid if either case has any luggage with them. :eek:

so can IE if they wish to.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I was chatting to a staffer at Rosslare Port the other day who told me that the numbers of foot passengers on the ferries each sailing are around 60 to 70 and sometimes up to 100 . Unfortunately none of the trains coincide with the ferry arrivals or departures...Clever..eh?:confused:

Been that way for years and I remember years back whilst in Rosslare seeing the train departing on its merry way, while the ferry was approaching the entrance to the harbour. There is an issue here! - tourism - how serious are we about expanding the tourist market, when you see this sort of carry on ? Or are we so well off we can do without them ? I don't think so !!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Been that way for years and I remember years back whilst in Rosslare seeing the train departing on its merry way, while the ferry was approaching the entrance to the harbour. There is an issue here! - tourism - how serious are we about expanding the tourist market, when you see this sort of carry on ? Or are we so well off we can do without them ? I don't think so !!! :(

We are not serious about having a tourist industry in just the same way as we not serious about getting tough on crime or (insert a topic of your choice) and Bord Failte/Tourism Ireland/Failte Ireland or whatever are a bad joke. Have you seen any of the overpaid clowns in the tourism bodies come out over this proposed closure. No, and you won't as they sit on their loathsome spotty behinds waiting for their clocks and golden handshakes. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Student monthly season from Waterford to Rosslare is €172.
    student monthly season bridgetown - waterford costs €126 with student card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

The current lunchtime train ex Rosslare - Dublin departs Rosslare just as the Hi Speed Stena is arriving. If it waited, say, half an hour they could pick up from it. The morning sailings arrive just as the early train for Dublin is departing and likewise the evening sailings etc. It's bloody ridiculous!
    corktina wrote: »
    why dont those figures surprise me? it shows there is a market for a train (for Dublin at any rate) from Rosslare meeting the ferry.

IE, the game is up, you cant keep doing what you are at....WE know what you are up to...
    There's no data to prove where those foot passengers are travelling to. So, potentially and with a little clever marketing there could be foot passengers that would use a train to Dublin and to the mid west region thus boosting the potential numbers on the Waterford line?

. It's bloody ridiculous!

its bloody DELIBERATE!

so the decision is Friday 3rd, will it be saved or not?

:confused:

so the decision is Friday 3rd, will it be saved or not?

:confused:

Sorry? What are you saying here? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sorry? What are you saying here? :confused:

NTA decision deadline, no?

NTA decision deadline, no?

YES the NTA Decision is due on friday 3rd september:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Good luck! Hopefully common sense will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

YES the NTA Decision is due on friday 3rd september:eek:

The timing suggests not - the new Dunboyne service starts that day. It would be the perfect way to bury the closure news. :(

Hungerford wrote: »
    The timing suggests not - the new Dunboyne service starts that day. It would be the perfect way to bury the closure news. :(

That's IR organising it to co-incide, but its the NTA who make the decision so I wouldn't worry too much bout that;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pinehead

The decision must have been made by now. Surely there must be some rumour as to its findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Well given the NTA Board meeting is not actually taking place until Friday I doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I would love to a fly on the wall of that meeting. There's an awful lot more at stake than the Waterford/Rosslare line.

If the NTA decides to allow the closure, it would indicate that it isn't prepared to stand up to the bodies that it is supposed to regulate.

The SERA report indicates that Iarnrod Eireann sought permission to close the line without any supporting documentation stating its case. Even when those documents were forthcoming, the report indicated that they had serious flaws in terms of their traffic modelling and even basic population statistics.

Regardless of the merits of operating the line, the NTA should realistically reject IE's application because of the flaws in its supporting reports.

In any case, agreeing to closure would indicate that the NTA isn't terribly serious about its own socioeconomic guidelines. Based on these, the line shouldn't be closed because it serves deprived areas, is quicker than the road alternative and there is no alternative public transport service. The promised Bus Eireann service may be superior in frequency but it scores badly in terms of journey time. Plus, the IE service could easily be enhanced to increase its frequency.

In the past, CIE has been able to shut lines essentially on a whim - the NTA needs to demonstrate that this is no longer the case and that it regulates the provision of public transport services not CIE.

If it does accept the closure, it is likely to have an extremely negative effect on the perception of it as an independent regulator. And I am not just talking about in Ireland - the whole controversy has revealed some surprising levels of interest among private operators in getting involved in Irish railways.

One of the main obstacles to rail competition in Ireland is the fact that IE is both the state monopoly in terms of services but also the network operator. This apparent conflict of interest has discouraged potential new entrants. A 'tame' regulator who rubberstamps closure applications which fail to follow any form of proper procedure or are based on severely flawed documentation would probably further discourage them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Its a pity the station platform at Rosslare isn't a bit closer to the pier though..............

It used to be.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=1571546&fbid=1543628105937&id=1092000966

SRG played a blinder today. Around 30 politicians from all parties attended a gathering in plunkett station today to show support for the retention of the rail line, loads of media coverage inc RTE News, Indo,Times WLR FM, munster and more. Irish Rail staff went over and tried to kick them all out :D

click link above for pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

It used to be.

Yes I know, and when I looked at google earth a minute ago I remembered that Rosslare is also our main sea link to continental Europe.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=1571546&fbid=1543628105937&id=1092000966

SRG played a blinder today. Around 30 politicians from all parties attended a gathering in plunkett station today to show support for the retention of the rail line, loads of media coverage inc RTE News, Indo,Times WLR FM, munster and more. Irish Rail staff went over and tried to kick them all out :D

click link above for pic

Link doesn't work for me? Who are what is SRG? Who called this meeting and what was the end result? :confused:

Is this the pic?
    46797_1543628105937_1092000966_1571546_145246_n.jpg

Link doesn't work for me? Who are what is SRG? Who called this meeting and what was the end result? :confused:

Is this the pic?
    46797_1543628105937_1092000966_1571546_145246_n.jpg

YEP THATS THE PIC, SRG - SAVE ROSSLARE WATERFORD GROUP
    THEY GOT ALL THE POLITICIANS TO COME TOGETHER IN WATERFORD STATION SUPPORTING THE RETENTION OF THE LINE. IR TRIED TO KICK THEM OUT :D RTE NEWS PROB CARRYING STORY 2MOR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Loitering (with intent) in the station, IR were right to try and give them the boot :pac::pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement