Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

None of those bus journey times compare favourbly with the train journey times (especially destinations west of Wellington Bridge) as they all travel through New Ross with the resultant delays & usual traffic jams.

Why bother getting the bus when it will be quicker by car or probably even pushbike via the Passage East Ferry? It would have been better to introduce bus services across to (or via) to the ferry & pick people up on the other side straight into Waterford.

No one will bother with these new bus services, talk about going 'round the houses!:rolleyes:

Still CIE will now be able to say there is no demand for public transport in the region at all, which is what they wanted all along:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

It's ridiculous they're bringing a bus all the way to WIT and the hospital for 9am but it doesnt pick up in Wexford town?! But it stops in Rosslare Strand?! They actually want to lose money. Imagine the commuting students. I know of at least 5 students who are commuting instead of living this yr because of costs, etc. It's just waiting for money to be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Rail Users Ireland board says Limerick J-Waterford is to close for 10 weeks for resignalling and decommissioning of Tipperary loop.

Edit - am obliged to corktina for spotting my typo, which arose from reading "10 weeks in the coming months" at after 2220 local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

dowlingm wrote: »
    Rail Users Ireland board says Limerick J-Waterford is to close for 10 months for resignalling and decommissioning of Tipperary loop.

thast ten WEEKS old boy

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

It's interesting how outrage on the Waterford-Rosslare closure has now given way to resignation among certain rail campaigners. Just an observation... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hungerford wrote: »
    It's interesting how outrage on the Waterford-Rosslare closure has now given way to resignation among certain rail campaigners. Just an observation... :D

That's me. :D

Rail Users Ireland board says Limerick J-Waterford is to close for 10 months for resignalling and decommissioning of Tipperary loop.

That should see off any remaining passengers - what a shower of useless wasters. In any 'civilised' country Lynch, Fearn and Dempsey would have shot for incompetence years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why would you want to resignal a line that you want to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Haddockman wrote: »
    Why would you want to resignal a line that you want to close?

why did they lay CWR on rosslare-waterford?

Indeed.

I have heard that the stations on the Ballybrophy-Limerick are due to be painted soon. :eek:

• Advertisement

why did they lay CWR on rosslare-waterford?
    There used to be a practice of cascading old panels to infrequently used lines but maybe RSC thinks that's a no-no these days, so any replacement must be new rail? That's the only reason I can think of, apart from that the panels that could be used have been so badly maintained there's nothing worth laying!

That should see off any remaining passengers - what a shower of useless wasters. In any 'civilised' country Lynch, Fearn and Dempsey would have shot for incompetence years ago.

I am not certain - it involves resignalling and automating the line as far as Clonmel suggesting that that section is safe for the moment. I think the reaper is due to visit the Nenagh branch first.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There used to be a practice of cascading old panels to infrequently used lines but maybe RSC thinks that's a no-no these days, so any replacement must be new rail? That's the only reason I can think of, apart from that the panels that could be used have been so badly maintained there's nothing worth laying!

I think you'll find it was to run up phantom 'maintanence' costs...

I was on the 1720 Waterford to Rosslare train today. About 10 people got on in Waterford but most of them got off at Campile. The remainder, except for two, were trainspotters! By Rosslare Strand there was just me and one other person.

At present the Waterford Limerick Junction rotation seems to be
    1. W 0630 LJ 0812
    2. LJ 0850 W 1032
    3. W 1230 LJ 1412
    4. LJ 1510 (Carrick on Suir 1640) W 1705
    5. W 1615 (Carrick on Suir 1641) LJ 1758
    6. LJ 1845 W 2027

I presume 1,2,5,6 are a Waterford 2700 and the 3,4 the Rosslare 2700.

Two questions:
    a. If this is the case, what does the Waterford 2700 do 1032 > 1615?
    b. Is the new timetable pending the resignalling likely to just work the Waterford set harder?
    1. W 0630 LJ 0812
    2. LJ 0850 W 1032
    3. W 1130 LJ 1312
    4. LJ 1350 W 1532
    5. W 1615 LJ 1758
    6. LJ 1845 W 2027

The "Chicken Dinner" special near Bridgetown today. :D

58956_150812874950798_100000662582254_318497_472123_n.jpg

Courtesy of Eamon Redmond.

Is it my imagination or is the undergrowth already encroaching on the trackbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

The "Chicken Dinner" special near Bridgetown today. :D

58956_150812874950798_100000662582254_318497_472123_n.jpg

Courtesy of Eamon Redmond.

Is it my imagination or is the undergrowth already encroaching on the trackbed?

There are some weeds growing on the track apparently, the NTA have ordered IÉ to send out the weed sprayer again as this year's one was a disaster.

Also, I thought that a 2800 class railcar was supposed to be operating this special not a 29k?

Note the destination. Sligo?

How did I miss it? What about the amazing headboard? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

So does anyone on here no what the time the very last train will run on the line? Is it the train in the morning or the train in the evening?

• Advertisement

1720 ex Waterford to Rosslare Euroshack is the last passenger run. That train will then return to Waterford empty that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

1720 ex Waterford to Rosslare Euroshack is the last passenger run. That train will then return to Waterford empty that night.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

can everyone get to waterford to get that train and force irish rail to lay on extra trains or busses:)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Lifelike wrote: »
    Also, I thought that a 2800 class railcar was supposed to be operating this special not a 29k?

They had a 2800 railcar the other time. So for something different a 29000 was requested as a late change I understand.
    Note the destination. Sligo?

The driver having some fun? After all it's a special service. M3 Parkway and Connolly were also displayed during the day.

Will they do a classic CIÉ stunt from the old days and cancel the last train?

How about they get Noel Dempsey to ride the last train like he did the first train to Dunboyne?

I'm here all week, ladies and gents... :D :rolleyes:

Karsini wrote: »
    Paddy Power would not take that bet.

Karsini wrote: »

There is a rumour that that might happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

When is the last train? What day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

"the last trains gone" slams shutter...cue movie clip :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement