Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Maggie Thatcher on Spitting Image - I think. :D

thats right...didnt she sing the "Chicken Song" too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

scan01d.jpg
    Care & Maintenance CIE style - Newcastle West on the the North Kerry line in 1981.

Incidentally, today is the first total closure of a railway by CIE since 1967 by my reckoning. In that year the Mallow/Waterford section closed to all traffic whereas since then all closures have been by stealth - i.e. withdrawal of passenger trains - followed later by withdrawal of freight trains - followed by barring of special trains - followed by cessation of maintenance.
    rip.gif

SOUTH WEXFORD RAILWAY 1906-2010 RIP

To all those anti-railway charlatans who aided and abetted the run down of this railway may God forgive you for there are many who never will.

ROLL OF DISHONOUR

Noel Dempsey 'so-called' Minister for Transport
    Ciarán Cuffe, Junior Minister with special responsibility for Sustainable Transport
    The Green Party - John Gormley and Dan Boyle in particular.
    The senior officials at the Dept.of Transport
    Bord Snip Nua
    John Lynch, Chairman of Crush In Everybody
    The Board of the No Trains Authority
    Simon Coveney FG Transport spokesman who stood idly by
    Tommy Broughan Labour Transport spokesman who stood idly by
    John Browne (FF), Paul Kehoe (FG) and Brendan Howlin (Labour) - our local TDs who also stood idly by.
    Failte Ireland who failed to raise a whimper over this closure
    Our EU overlords for their failure to notice the dismantling of this strategic rail link.
    The Irish media, with a few honourable exceptions, who are incapable of investigative journalism.

That's enough but if I've left anyone out feel free to add their names.

First shot of my new campaign against the woeful Green Party.

To: dan.boyle@oireachtas.ie, ciaran.cuffe@oireachtas.ie, minister@environ.ie

Good Morning,

An historic day dawns for Irish railways - the first total closure of a railway line since 1967 and under the Green Party's watch. Well I promised that you would get all the publicity that you so richly deserve for your capitulation on this issue and you can take this as the first salvo. Good luck at the next election.

Regards,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851547&page=99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

If Enda Gets in How many more will Go ?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

scan01d.jpg
    Care & Maintenance CIE style - Newcastle West on the the North Kerry line in 1981.

Incidentally, today is the first total closure of a railway by CIE since 1967 by my reckoning. In that year the Mallow/Waterford section closed to all traffic whereas since then all closures have been by stealth - i.e. withdrawal of passenger trains - followed later by withdrawal of freight trains - followed by barring of special trains - followed by cessation of maintenance.
    rip.gif

SOUTH WEXFORD RAILWAY 1906-2010 RIP

To all those anti-railway charlatans who aided and abetted the run down of this railway may God forgive you for there are many who never will.

ROLL OF DISHONOUR

Noel Dempsey 'so-called' Minister for Transport
    Ciarán Cuffe, Junior Minister with special responsibility for Sustainable Transport
    The Green Party - John Gormley and Dan Boyle in particular.
    The senior officials at the Dept.of Transport
    Bord Snip Nua
    John Lynch, Chairman of Crush In Everybody
    The Board of the No Trains Authority
    Simon Coveney FG Transport spokesman who stood idly by
    Tommy Broughan Labour Transport spokesman who stood idly by
    John Browne (FF), Paul Kehoe (FG) and Brendan Howlin (Labour) - our local TDs who also stood idly by.
    Failte Ireland who failed to raise a whimper over this closure
    Our EU overlords for their failure to notice the dismantling of this strategic rail link.
    The Irish media, with a few honourable exceptions, who are incapable of investigative journalism.

That's enough but if I've left anyone out feel free to add their names.

You forgot Minister Sean Connick - New Ross (wexford) TD

Ciarán Cuffe in fairness is working on legislation for the new company to come in and run the service.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

You also forgot the general public who didn't use the line enough causing it to not be viable to keep open any more.

You also forgot the general public who didn't use the line enough causing it to not be viable to keep open any more.

I suggest that you take a look at the so-called timetable before making such a ridiculous comment. :rolleyes:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Rosslare%20Europort%20Limerick%2010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I suggest that you take a look at the so-called timetable before making such a ridiculous comment. :rolleyes:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Rosslare%20Europort%20Limerick%2010.pdf

Exactly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Another case of 'foot in mouth' disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Seriously though is there anyone heading to waterford to catch the very last Rosslare train?

Edit: I'm in waterford and thinking I might get this train myself as it signals the end of the line for waterford as anything more than a commuter terminus station. Seems to be a lot of people here in the station with cameras and one or two with those engine driver comrade type peaked caps and quite a few devoted trainspotters

• Advertisement

?Both tickets machines in the station are out of order but there is a member of staff standing by them whose job it seems is to direct people to the booking office which by some miracle is open! IT is usually closed except for ten minutes before each train.

There seems to be lots of Irish rail staff about. Much more than normal for a Saturday evenings!

It seems also that Irish rail have organised a garda presence in the station and also on the train! They must be expecting trouble? Maybe because there will be standing room only on the train!

Train arrived 4carriages none reserved afaik lots of reporters etc and a garda presence thanks to Irish rail.

the misinformation from some knowledgeable people on the Train is remarkable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

When there were better service levels on the train the patronage on the line was also poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

When since 1906 was there a better service level?

It is clear that at no time since 1906 in my eyes, an adequate rail based local service between Wexford and Waterford was provided. That was the solution, but it was never done.

Unless someone can tell me differently.

This line was deliberately run down to closure. They pretended to provide a service, cancel services for relaying and 'upgrades' then have a service.

Of course, you can continue to be an apologist for CIE, but even from afar, I see what they are capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dermo88 wrote: »
    When since 1906 was there a better service level?

It is clear that at no time since 1906 in my eyes, an adequate rail based local service between Wexford and Waterford was provided. That was the solution, but it was never done.

And it took 104 years? Seriously?

The market wasn't there. Money's too tight now to keep worthless lines open for 10 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Well....that was because it was mainly a through route for Rosslare Harbour to Cork "Expresses".....which ran non stop from Rosslare to Waterford.

That was until 1967, and it was an oddball every second day service.

One train a day all stops between Rosslare and Waterford.....a token service, known in railway parlance as a "Parliamentary". Run to follow laws for the sake of laws, rather than customers.

1974, dropped to once daily (Winter) twice daily (Summer).

Connections very hit and miss at Rosslare and Waterford....

Thats how to operate a service and fail, CIE style.

Haddockman wrote: »

No booking office? How do people buy tickets in Rosslare? :eek:

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    No booking office? How do people buy tickets in Rosslare? :eek:
    They used to buy them on the Train but never again!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They used to buy them on the Train but never again!
    But if your going rosslare to dublin how you buy them?

Is there a ticket machine there?

• Advertisement

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    But if your going rosslare to dublin how you buy them?
    ticket sellers on the trains but they will only sell tickets for stations without machines or booking office

So what happened earlier? Did the final train run?

Haddockman wrote: »
    So what happened earlier? Did the final train run?
    indeed it did and a great journey was had by all including the guards. Lots of sad faces and older people that grew up with the railway but all good things must eventually end. I heard there was a Hooley in the hotel up the steps from the station but didn't go. There were almost as many Irish rail staff as locals on the Train and loads of trainspotters:)

And it took 104 years? Seriously?

The market wasn't there. Money's too tight now to keep worthless lines open for 10 people.

Go back into your ticket office and look at the timetable before you bother posting again. And, it was 25 people according your masters!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    indeed it did and a great journey was had by all including the guards. Lots of sad faces and older people that grew up with the railway but all good things must eventually end. I heard there was a Hooley in the hotel up the steps from the station but didn't go. There were almost as many Irish rail staff as locals on the Train and loads of trainspotters:)

Any chicken suppers? I think I was better off in the Antique watching Munster WINNING!! :D

On checking through my emails I see that I have overlooked Labour TD Joe Costello who replaced Tommy Broughan as Labour Transport spokesman in my roll of dishonour. Mind you he is a busy man, so busy that he has yet to reply to my email of 8th July!
    Labour & FG are lazy ****ers who think that they don't need any policies at all to get elected and that they merely have to wait for the Greens and FF to fall out - they won't get my vote!

Incidentally, this in from Dan Boyle tonight:

'David,

I'm glad that irish Rail are getting out of this and I'm confident that a new service will be on the line very soon.

Dan Boyle
    .'

g3_jS1159243538.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

'David,

I'm glad that irish Rail are getting out of this and I'm confident that a new service will be on the line very soon.

Dan Boyle
    .'

why would a TD be supportive of a national operator closing down a service, regardless?

why would a TD be supportive of a national operator closing down a service, regardless?

Maybe if said TD has a vested interest in road freight or construction? Wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think it's fair to assume that not every employee of Irish Rail is happy to see this end, and that many of those on that last train out would rather have seen a go made of things, and had no say in the outcome.

• Advertisement

Go back into your ticket office and look at the timetable before you bother posting again. And, it was 25 people according your masters!

This kind of post is what makes me just want to give up on this forum and leave you all to your anti-IE/DB/BE circle-jerk.

You have no interest in a balanced discussion about public transport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement