Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

If you actually read my posts you'd see that i comletely agree with these points.

The only difference being that i'm giving you a reason as to why they start this whole process whereas you can't give me one reason why the line is being closed other than the fact that it isn't economically viable.

. They made sure it was economically un-viable. Who knows the real reason - if I did I would have used it to stop them. BUT be sure they won't get away with this again. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

mickydoomsux

You have addressed savetherailwith the following response:

This is just silly. You're getting far too emotional about this entire situation and you're not listening to facts and reason.

The passengers weren't there. End of. IE are trying to make money, why would the potentially give up a lucrative line to a private company? It doesn't make sense.

Now.....do you wish to respond to my comments, or I am being silly also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

This is just silly. You're getting far too emotional about this entire situation and you're not listening to facts and reason.

The passengers weren't there. End of. IE are trying to make money, why would the potentially give up a lucrative line to a private company? It doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry, but the passengers wern't there because IE appeared to have driven them away with providing a totally inadequate service, not meeting the needs of the local population which it served. To be honest I'm most surprised that there were as many as (an average) of 25 people using the service to/from Waterford per day - given quite frankly the cr*p service which was offered to them.

Many may not remember but the likes of the Dublin - Sligo line was threatened with closure in the 1980's and 1990's. Infact, the idea was to shut the line beyond Mullingar. No one was using the service, the trains were empty, the same story, "there's not enough population to support a rail service" and so on. Now look at it, 7 trains per day with passenger numbers booming. It says alot for there being "no-one using the train" and "nowhere near enough people to use the service". With some imagination and promotion - and also running trains to suit passenger's needs.

Its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

ok mr CIE lover you answer this

if they were not deliberatly running down the service why was the train parked up (until recently running all day) in waterford, obviously not needed for anywhere else and staff on the line were paid for full day, why not run extra trains, the only added cost would have been deisel which @0.47c a litre would not have cost much, why not have it meet ferries? make connections with other train services ect

oh and what about certain bonuses for certain managers now the line is closed??????:mad:
    Those are questions for the members of the Oireachtas Transport Committee. Throwing around "CIE lover" etc. is hardly productive.

They start that process so as they can get big bonusues. They made sure it was economically un-viable. Who knows the real reason (apart from bonuses)- if I did I would have used it to stop them. BUT be sure they won't get away with this again. :mad:
    Save The Rail that's a pretty serious allegation. Any proof that bonuses are being paid as you claim?

• Advertisement

They aslo flagged the service fully booked 3 days before it was to run - more lies trying to keep numbers down. they also refused to sell me a ticket I had to ring Barry Kenny, he had to ring cotter, before i got my ticket. Turning people away from the ticket desk (not just me) and sayin they wont sell tickets until 4:30pm when people were there trying to make sure they got on it, what the hell is wrong with that lot - i suppose im going to be told it wasnt viable to sell tickets :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

They start that process so as they can get big bonusues.

So they plan something over the course of years to make a few hundred in bonuses? Seriously?

Disregard the fact that this has been on the cards during the tenure of numerous different sets of management.

dowlingm wrote: »
    Save The Rail that's a pretty serious allegation. Any proof that bonuses are being paid as you claim?

We were told by CIE staff that if savings are made, bonuses get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Guys. We've won the argument with CIE. We've proven, despite their incompetent lovers, that they are a failure. That they are corrupt. That they are incompetent.

The time has come to get someone in to smash the unions in CIE, its incompetent management, and send them off with the statutory entitlement to redundancy. They are not entitled to one penny more. They have lived high off the hog during the Celtic Tiger era. They have failed to account to the customer, to the taxpayer, to the Government. In short, it is time to go.

Posters such as Mickydoomsux and Layzehfoo may well pretend to be CIE employees (sincerely...I have my doubts), to try and discredit us here on this board, and lure us into a trap. It would, after all be in their interests to portray CIE's detractors as emotional and illogical, and ignorant of logic and common sense.

The evidence of success is clear, but it was hard fought, and CIE had to be fought tooth and nail to get the likes of Maynooth commuter, Sligo line saved, Limerick to Ennis, Cork to Midleton. Within their poisonous lazy screwed up do nothing incompetent outfit, it was "cannot", "we cannot", and the likes of Bunting, Begg or Ogle on the Television stating

"Our members are entitled to"
    "Our members demand"

While.....if there was a strike on, they'd be down the pub, singing

"We'll keep the Red Flag flying"

On 40 or 50,000 per annum or more.

Remember......Irish taxes pay subsidies to this poisonous outfit. They pay pensions, they pay much higher wages, permanent conditions, and it is a long way from the poor lads in the DUTC, or GSR who actually did work in dangerous conditions.

So, lets just say this.

No wonder, with this recession on.

"They are the self preservation society"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

We were told by CIE staff that if savings are made, bonuses get paid.

rumour and heresay, not proof unless this was said to you by someone senior in HR or finance?

• Advertisement

dermo88 wrote: »

On 40 or 50,000 per annum or more.

I wish.

rumour and heresay, not proof unless this was said to you by someone senior in HR or finance?

as i posted above - we were told by staff and are looking into it. I will refrain from saying any more about bonuses until i have proof in my hands.

However it still remains that the service was deliberatly run down and now has ceased. No rail line makes money - this one is no different, how much is it costing them for maintaining the line, paying redundancies, redeploying staff?

I wish.
    I think he meant the union bosses to be fair. Didn't the head of SIPTU make north of 100K at one stage?

dermo88 wrote: »

Posters such as Mickydoomsux and Layzehfoo may well pretend to be CIE employees (sincerely...I have my doubts), to try and discredit us here on this board, and lure us into a trap. It would, after all be in their interests to portray CIE's detractors as emotional and illogical, and ignorant of logic and common sense.

Right so. Who am i then? Why would i pretend to be an IE employee to argue with people who have zero interest in an actual discussion about rail travel?

Is it not more likely that i am indeed an IE employee but it suits you better to pretend i'm not and attempt to discredit me because you'd prefer not to have someone tell you the truth of the situation inside the organisation.

Much more fun for all of you to play armchair Dick Fearn and complain about how much better you could run the network when some of you just haven't got a clue what it's like out there.

.... how much is it costing them for maintaining the line, paying redundancies, redeploying staff?

Not as much as it would to keep it running. Look up 'Cost/benefit analysis'.

What happens with the gatekeepers? Are they just terminated and paid off?

they were offered redundancy or redeployment - most took redundancy as the location for redeployment was unsuitable due to having children in local schools

Offered station op jobs in the station in Waterford from what i've heard, although that may not be true.

As save the rail said, most of them took the envelope which is usually what gatekeepers do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

So they plan something over the course of years to make a few hundred in bonuses? Seriously?

Disregard the fact that this has been on the cards during the tenure of numerous different sets of management.

There you have it from your own mouth, the run down of this line has been ongoing for four decades and the latest 'inventive' timetable as you so quaintly put it was merely the coup de grâce. How many people would use the Dublin/Cork line every day if it was impossible to come back - truly you are, like many CIE employees, living on another planet. Finding somewhere every day to hide from management while you wait for your union to get you generous redundancy terms. :rolleyes:

There you have it from your own mouth, the run down of this line has been ongoing for four decades and the latest 'inventive' timetable as you so quaintly put it was merely the coup de grâce.

Indeed. Exactly as i pointed out in my previous posts. Way to read!.
    How many people would use the Dublin/Cork line every day if it was impossible to come back

None. But that'll never happen because that line makes money unlike the Rosslare line
    - truly you are, like many CIE employees, living on another planet. Finding somewhere every day to hide from management while you wait for your union to get you generous redundancy terms. :rolleyes:

Again with the personal attacks? And why would i bother to hide from management if they are as lazy and shiftless as i allegedely am? I mean, we millionaires stick together after all :rolleyes:

I'm pretty close to just giving up on this place and letting you all wallow in your own misinformation. What's the point in presenting the other side of the argument if you can't even be bothered to read my posts properly?

• Advertisement

they were offered redundancy or redeployment - most took redundancy as the location for redeployment was unsuitable due to having children in local schools

In fairness the redundancy was very good

In fairness the redundancy was very good

Not trying to dispute you claim because i don't know either but do you have evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not trying to dispute you claim because i don't know either but do you have evidence of this?

state / semi-state, of course the redundancy is good.

I saw the redundancy package from one of the gatekeepers, i dont have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Jeez! Does this thread have to be about bickering and sniping at each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

. They made sure it was economically un-viable. Who knows the real reason - if I did I would have used it to stop them. BUT be sure they won't get away with this again. :mad:

What do you mean by this (in bold)? If the line is closed, the line is closed and there is no "again"?

Godge wrote: »
    What do you mean by this (in bold)? If the line is closed, the line is closed and there is no "again"?

Wexford still has one line left which they serve, they wont get to do the same to that line

Wexford still has one line left which they serve, they wont get to do the same to that line

There isn't a hope in hell of that line even being considered to be closed down. It passes through a couple of decent size commuter towns and runs from the capital.

Limerick to Ballybrophy or similar would be more likely as the next candidate.

There isn't a hope in hell of that line even being considered to be closed down. It passes through a couple of decent size commuter towns and runs from the capital.

Limerick to Ballybrophy or similar would be more likely as the next candidate.

There have been rumours that it will run from dublin to gorey only

• Advertisement

There have been rumours that it will run from dublin to gorey only

Quite possible. The next few years are going to see huge changes of this manner in the less popular lines i think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement