Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

A quarter kilometer or so was stolen and just because it wasn't meant for some closed line it's not a story all of a sudden?

Ok, so it was only 3k, nothing for IE in the grand scheme of things, but who the **** steals rails for god's sake

Commodity prices are still pretty high so criminals will steal metal and either melt it down or sell it on. I remember a spate of signalling failures in the UK a few years ago because thieves were nicking long sections of electrical wire from the signalling systems because of the copper it contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

topnotch wrote: »
    Took a few snaps earlier this evening when i gave a quick call down.
    http://top204.fpic.co.uk/c1940865.html
    The last one is a bit of grafitti on the back of the steps in pic 3.

OMG The state of that station! No wonder the line was shut down! That's horrendous! It looks 40years old, not 4 months!

OMG The state of that station! No wonder the line was shut down! That's horrendous! It looks 40years old, not 4 months!

It was never modernised and still has antiquated track in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It is 40 years old at least....Where did you get 4 months from?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is 40 years old at least....Where did you get 4 months from?

4 months closed I imagine.

Thing is, it looked like that when open...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

MYOB wrote: »

The moss growing on the platform adds a nice splash of colour:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ah yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

It did't matter how it looked when you had the sound of gm's roaring up the bank with their strings of beet cans rattling off around the corner. There weren't too many looking at the moss back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

topnotch wrote: »
    It did't matter how it looked when you had the sound of gm's roaring up the bank with their strings of beet cans rattling off around the corner. There weren't too many looking at the moss back then.

Unhelpful and does enthusiasts absolutely no favours at all. But your pics are appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Yeah...imagine if they maintained the roads like that :mad: but that's what happens when government policy is allowed to run amuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

CIE wrote: »
    Yeah...imagine if they maintained the roads like that :mad: but that's what happens when government policy is allowed to run amuck.

To do any heavy refurb on the stations on the line and you're looking at over €1 million each by the time you relay the platforms as per the WRC or Middleton lines. And that's before you allow for relaying the track work, automate the level crossings and renew signaling. God knows how much the whole line would cost if renewed totally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

A quarter kilometer or so was stolen and just because it wasn't meant for some closed line it's not a story all of a sudden?

Ok, so it was only 3k, nothing for IE in the grand scheme of things, but who the **** steals rails for god's sake

****ing scumbags

3k? according to the paper each peice was worth 2,800 multiply that by 24 is 67,200 a fair amount i would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭save the rail

as far stealing rail, steel is fetching a fortune nowadays

According to IRN the 2011 weedspray campaign is starting this week and Waterford to Rosslare Strand is on the itinerary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hope the rails are still there!

Karsini wrote: »
    According to IRN the 2011 weedspray campaign is starting this week and Waterford to Rosslare Strand is on the itinerary.

Oh whoppee ****in doo! The Kingscourt line ceased traffic in 2001 and had a visit from the Weedspray train in 2002. It was the last ever train over the line. Now it looks like a Botanist's orgasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

On the Victoria to Nanaimo line in British Columbia groups of locals keep the weeds down to reduce herbicide use. Maybe "save the rail" should round up some buds with strimmers once a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

More important that its on the 2012 weedspray run and that EM50 gets a few runs on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

The frog will look after it - easy peasy !!! ;)

More important that its on the 2012 weedspray run and that EM50 gets a few runs on it.
    As long as it doesn't catch fire like 121 did (causing its withdrawal) on the New Ross weedspray in 1995 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dowlingm wrote: »
    As long as it doesn't catch fire like 121 did (causing its withdrawal) on the New Ross weedspray in 1995 :D
    When is the new train service starting on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

foggy_lad wrote: »

After they rebuild the beet factory.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how long is a piece of string?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The lifting train will be along anytime soon.

A well used quote Foggy Lad! So I'll continue the trend.:D

According to the Save the Rosslare line campaign and pressumedly RUI, (thats Platform 11 after it was cleansed:D) who are involved, negociations with a private operator are still in the works. Can't see it myself. Looks like they could be chewin' on too big a steak!

Nice thought though even if legislation is against them. (along with the grim reaper that is CIE)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The lifting train will be along anyDECADE soon.

FYP:D

The irony is that were sugar to be restarted the logical place to put the factory would be in South Wexford, with sugar and byproducts like molasses or road de-icer being the product shipped by rail rather than beet.

It never made sense to me that some of the major sugar factories were so far from the growing areas, similar to how it never made sense how far the Arklow fertilizer plant was from the ammonia source at Marino Point (ammonia trains were one freight source for IE I was glad to see gone on safety grounds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

dowlingm wrote: »
    The irony is that were sugar to be restarted the logical place to put the factory would be in South Wexford, with sugar and byproducts like molasses or road de-icer being the product shipped by rail rather than beet.

It never made sense to me that some of the major sugar factories were so far from the growing areas, similar to how it never made sense how far the Arklow fertilizer plant was from the ammonia source at Marino Point (ammonia trains were one freight source for IE I was glad to see gone on safety grounds)
    So when will Ireland stop letting the EU dictate to them what kind of crops they can grow, then...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

So when will Ireland stop letting the EU dictate to them what kind of crops they can grow, then...?

when wevepaid them back the billions we owe them...about 3011 i wouls guess

• Advertisement

The EU didn't dictate that, precisely. They opened the market to non-EU sugar which would have had serious effects on the Irish beet industry as then constituted were it to continue as is.

The government took EU funding to close the industry - which you may recall caused some uproar because of how much Greencore got and how much the growers got. I don't think IE got anything although a smart CEO might have argued their share of economic impact with a bit of P&L massage.

An alternative approach would have been to leverage sugar beet byproducts into higher value-add (even with EU funding!) like biogas or ethanol and reducing costs by siting production closer to supply but given a choice between being innovative on one hand and on the other taking money and closing or radically reducing an economic activity Ireland will take cash every time (see also Fishing). It also helped that Greencore reckoned they would cash in on their property portfolio much more than continuing production.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement