Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcornfarmcottage.co.uk JPEG Redesign Self Catering Holiday Cottage

Options
  • 11-03-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I orginally made their current website this time last year. You can find the current design at http://www.drumcornfarmcottage.co.uk I still do like the design of their current website (there is a few mistakes with alignment issues etc) but i thought that it could be updated design wise.

I started working on a new and improved design last night at 1am and had it finished by about 4:30am.

I have been doing a few finishes touches to the website the last few hours just to make it that extra bit nicer.

What do you people think?

index.jpg

cottage.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I like it and I think its an improvement although the original one as not bad either. Good work overall.

Some loose remarks:
    • For some reason I'm not fond of the horizontal links bar but I can't put my finger on why exactly. I think I'd go for a different font or at least change it from small caps, and the colour should not be the same as the logo's.
    • Content text is again brown like all titles and the logo, I'd change it to dark grey or off black. Too much brown all over. Text lines in "About The Farm" are quite long - if the website is wide, consider putting the text in columns instead.
    • Red ticks for facilities might be confusing - the usual practice is green ticks for yes and red crosses/stop signs/whatever for no so it's not obvious at the first glance what you mean by them. The points are also quite wide apart, they don't read very well.
    • I'd also put more line spacing in the footer, here the text is huddled together for a change :)
    • If the gallery is so big I'd put it on a separate page altogether.
    • I'd put a little more white margin around the content.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

herya wrote: »
    I like it and I think its an improvement although the original one as not bad either. Good work overall.

Some loose remarks:
    • For some reason I'm not fond of the horizontal links bar but I can't put my finger on why exactly. I think I'd go for a different font or at least change it from small caps, and the colour should not be the same as the logo's.
    • Content text is again brown like all titles and the logo, I'd change it to dark grey or off black. Too much brown all over. Text lines in "About The Farm" are quite long - if the website is wide, consider putting the text in columns instead.
    • Red ticks for facilities might be confusing - the usual practice is green ticks for yes and red crosses/stop signs/whatever for no so it's not obvious at the first glance what you mean by them. The points are also quite wide apart, they don't read very well.
    • I'd also put more line spacing in the footer, here the text is huddled together for a change :)
    • If the gallery is so big I'd put it on a separate page altogether.
    • I'd put a little more white margin around the content.

Hope this helps.

It does look great, but I'd agree with every point made by herya.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Thank you for your great feedback, I will take note on everything you have said and make your recommend changes to see how it affects the look and feel of the website, and will post up the results.

I think you are right about having the gallery section on a page of its own. I could probably put the facilities pages on its own page as well, and have a css drop down menu then for when the user hovers over "the cottage" so they then have 2 selections to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

You're welcome, glad I could help.

I think that facilities are OK within the "About the Farm" section as they are logically connected. It's just the gallery that will most likely be overlooked in its current place, plus it makes the page extra long.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

I think it's brilliant. Agree that page is a bit too long though.

And there are two 'm's in accommodation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Agree with those comments.

On the about page the text is way too wide. You should put the facilities into a column on the right. I'd pay attention to all the sub pages like that. It's all to easy to have every page fall into 1 basic template rather than designing around the content.

Also, you seem to have made a 6 letter typo in londonderry :)

Advertisement