Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American electrical devices in Ireland

Options
  • 11-03-2010 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

So my gf is visiting soon from America
    She's concerned some of her things like straightener won't work over here or will fry. I know she'll need an adapter and most modern devices have a 110-240 volt range.

She reckons some of her chargers etc aren't rated. Where can I get a transformer or what can I do? I don't wanna blow her stuff up lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Maplin do Irish-American adapters. Just plug straight into your socket. It's worth remembering that the American frequency is different too (60hz) so some things, like American dvds skip and jump a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

would these adapters step down our voltage to match the requirements for her devices?

I didn't know dvd's were affected by ac frequency as I thought it was down to the motor regulating the speed as dc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

congo_90 wrote: »
    would these adapters step down our voltage to match the requirements for her devices?

I didn't know dvd's were affected by ac frequency as I thought it was down to the motor regulating the speed as dc?

Yes a step down transformer will work, but has to be ratted for the power of the device (measure in watts). The small transformers you buy in maplin would be about 25 to 50watts, so would only be useful for small devices (phone chargers and the likes). The frequency (50Hz/60Hz) is not going to make much of a difference.

I've no idea of the power ratting of a hair straighteners, but i would guess its too large for a step down transformer. It would be best to just buy a cheap set here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the hair straighteners seem to be about 60watt

i'm not familiar with these small trafos .would be handier alright to use an irish model if possible

http://www.threedoubleyou.com/convertpower.htm

Wattage shouldn't really matter as a general rule of thumb we're talking voltage. I'm assuming there is some sort of fuse in the transformer be it 3 or 13 amp to help assist currant flow.

My only concern is her blowing her straightner up as according to her all others are rated. According to female friends straightners don't come too cheap! :eek: Would appreciate a female input on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 virgo17258

haha no my straightner was not cheap at all. and i will be in the room over while you plug it in. so if it goes BOOM its not my fault. i already have a transformer thingy. its 50 watts and my striaghtner is only 35 watts. so im thinking i will be fine. well hopefully. :D

Right I'll see how yours is then if it blows I'm sure some woman could input me on where to replace? Perhaps boots? First to say ghd dies lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Don't plug anything straight into the mains.

Buy one of the multi-plug sockets you see in the supermarket at least and try that. It the fuse goes then there is no tears and fire, just a dead fuse.

As far as household goods go I would think that as long as they say 110-220 Volts, then it is ok to use it here.
    But when it come to electronics, I would ask someone in P.C. World, Maplins or Currys if they think it is ok. You might need to buy an adapter. Or just throw it in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 virgo17258

i believe everything except for the straightner is able to work over there. well everything that is important enough to bring with me. i will probably end up not using it cause i will be too scared it will blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Well don't be scared ... lots of Irish women buy electrical goods and fly them home and use them. It goes on every weekend.

But maybe all you need is an adapter for 110 Volts.
    I worked in Jamaica and it was american voltage so my phone's charger had to have a special american version, but you can get them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Have a look at these congo

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=american

could work out cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Wattage shouldn't really matter as a general rule of thumb we're talking voltage. I'm assuming there is some sort of fuse in the transformer be it 3 or 13 amp to help assist currant flow.

My only concern is her blowing her straightner up as according to her all others are rated. According to female friends straightners don't come too cheap! :eek: Would appreciate a female input on that.

they will have overload protection but trafos still have to be sized according to the load

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm assuming there is some sort of fuse in the transformer be it 3 or 13 amp to help assist currant flow.

Them fuses are fierce helpful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

Wattage shouldn't really matter as a general rule of thumb we're talking voltage. .

P=V^2/R :D

Dublindilberts advice here is sound:
    Yes a step down transformer will work, but has to be ratted for the power of the device (measure in watts). The small transformers you buy in maplin would be about 25 to 50watts, so would only be useful for small devices (phone chargers and the likes). The frequency (50Hz/60Hz) is not going to make much of a difference.

I've no idea of the power ratting of a hair straighteners, but i would guess its too large for a step down transformer. It would be best to just buy a cheap set here.

Advertisement