Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many different types of Illegal drugs have you taken?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Folks its best if you do not recommend or ask for recommendations about any illegal drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Folks its best if you do not recommend or ask for recommendations about any illegal drugs.

Fair point, my apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 howaya2010

drugs are bad and make you get arrested if your not carefull mmmmmkay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭AnonMous

Hash
    Weed
    Speed
    MDMA (pure and E tablets)
    LSD (liquid, tabs, micro dots)
    Coke
    Ketamine
    2-CB
    Mephedrone
    San Pedro
    Shrooms
    MDA
    BZP
    2-CE
    Methylone
    Salvia (is that illegal)

Still dabble from time to time. LSD is the business :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

do not be a sheep

do not bother with toxic drugs and badly made chemical junk made by people who would be doing something better if they knew how to:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Weed + Hash + Hash Oil (included these as one)
    Shrooms
    Yips
    Opium (in Laos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

moonpurple wrote: »
    do not be a sheep

do not bother with toxic drugs and badly made chemical junk made by people who would be doing something better if they knew how to:pac:
    So you're alright with the non-toxic psychoactives like weed and LSD, and possibly any drugs that have been synthesised well?

And do you think Colombian drug lords, with their hundreds of millions, would rather have a job in the civil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

0 for me. I've never taken any illegal drug and have no intention of ever do so. To me the brief high you might get just isn't worth the risk.

And just so we're clear here, yes I drink and yes alcohol is drug but it's a legal one so doesn't count in regards to this thread. I also take paracetamol the odd time because I get these blinding headaches, almost migranes but again this is legal so doesn't count.

Juat wanted to make that clear before I get labled a hyprocrit or laughed at because it's happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

0 for me. I've never taken any illegal drug and have no intention of ever do so. To me the brief high you might get just isn't worth the risk.

What risk is that exactly?

HoPpiE wrote: »
    What risk is that exactly?

Are you being serious or trying to patronise me?

Lets see, all the drugs above have the potential to be highly addictave and cause terrible problems with your health, mental and physical. Not to mention that one dodgy pill or one bad shot of say heroin could kill you.

Then there's the fact that to support your habit, if it's a serious one, you could end up thieving, working on the streets(if you're female) or working for whatever dangerous gang supplies you if you go down that route. You risk jail time or death here too.

Drugs destroy families and ruin lives. We see stories in the news about it all the time.

Drug addiction, if you end up that way, makes you selfish and a danger to yourself and others IMO.

And to me it just isn't worth it.

• Advertisement

Are you being serious or trying to patronise me?

Lets see, all the drugs above have the potential to be highly addictave and cause terrible problems with your health, mental and physical. Not to mention that one dodgy pill or one bad shot of say heroin could kill you.

Then there's the fact that to support your habit, if it's a serious one, you could end up thieving, working on the streets(if you're female) or working for whatever dangerous gang supplies you if you go down that route. You risk jail time or death here too.

Drugs destroy families and ruin lives. We see stories in the news about it all the time.

Drug addiction, if you end up that way, makes you selfish and a danger to yourself and others IMO.

And to me it just isn't worth it.
    I completely respect anyone's decision to abstain from illegal psychoactives should they wish to, but this is like sitting through my drugs "education" in third-year religion class all over again.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I completely respect anyone's decision to abstain from illegal psychoactives should they wish to, but this is like sitting through my drugs "education" in third-year religion class all over again.

Maybe that's a good thing. Some posters here could do with a little education and/or common sense ;)

Do inverted commas not show up for you on Boards?

Do inverted commas not show up for you on Boards?

Trying to be smart are we? I'm not taking that bait.

Look you don't have to agree with me but you can't deny that those are the risks you take when you get involved with illegal and to me it just is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Look you don't have to agree with me but you can't deny that those are the risks you take when you get involved with illegal and to me it just is not worth it.

You're very far off the mark I'm afraid. No one in history has died from "the one dodgy pill".

In fact, 20 years of research has shown that ecstacy is pretty darn safe - the head of drug research in the UK even said it, but was promptly sacked because it goes against current political steer. They couldn't back track on years of spouting the rubbish you are coming out with.

Now, you're correct on the addiction side of things. I can't argue with that. However as with all things, addicts are a tiny percentage. I think you would be utterly taken aback if you truely realised how prevailant drugs are (recreationally) within society. And the numbers alone show what a tiny percentage of people have a bad reaction - in 90% of cases then too it's because of alcohol mix.

You really can't comment on something that you've shown you know very little about.

(Please don't take this as a personal attack, it's not, it's simply matter of fact!).

Your knowledge of the risks associated with drug use may be based on stories you hear in the news, but I know a spotlight bias when I see one. In reality, the situations you've described above are worst-case scenarios and don't apply to the majority of drug users, particularly sensible ones (if you can believe such a beast exists) with knowledge of harm reduction methods.

You're not going to lose your mind from smoking weed once a week.

If you don't live in mortal fear of being killed by a falling brick, you probably won't be too afraid of dying from pills.

In recent years, heroin use is confined almost entirely to the underclass; people from backgrounds of poverty and abuse. The ones that die from the drug generally aren’t dying from “bad shots.” Most often, they’re dying because they're shooting up while under the influence of depressants like benzos and alcohol.

If you’d simply said “I think the cumulative effects of drug use could possibly have some adverse effects on my health in the long-term” instead of “Insanity and death!” I’d have found your position more tenable, and probably wouldn’t have replied to you at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

As Pace also said, I completely respect somebody's decision not to take drugs, legal or illegal.

I think Pace and spottyelephant, between them, have pretty much summed up the response I was going to give.

Your response to my original question shows how truly uneducated and ignorant you are when it comes to that subject.

You should do a little research and become more informed before jumping to conclusions on the matter.

I'm not going to argue with you because I can see it going around in circles and frankly I'm not interesting in engaging with people who think I'm ignorant and stupid.

My opinions are my own and I won't change them just because you think I'm being sensationalist. I'm a First Aider and I've seen first hand what drugs to people and for me it's a fools game. If you want to put poison into your body that's your business and I respect your right to do as you please.

All I am saying is it's not for me because of the risks I mentioned above.

You're very far off the mark I'm afraid. No one in history has died from "the one dodgy pill".
    Not so. A very small percentage of people – about 1 in 100,000, I think – can have an adverse reaction to MDMA and die from a single dose, though these pills wouldn’t be described as “dodgy.”

These days, most adulterated pills contain piperazines as their active ingredient. Nasty chemicals for sure, but again, the risk of actual death associated with them is vanishingly small.

As a side note, this was in BBC News yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10663863
    A small trial in 20 patients suggests use of the drug is safe and seems to improve the effects of psychotherapy.
    Two months later, 10 of the 12 patients given ecstasy responded to the treatment, the researchers said.
    In contrast, just two out of eight patients offered a placebo showed an improvement.
    There were no adverse effects from the use of the drug in the study, which was funded by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)

So eh, ye. I can totally see how it affects mental health....!

• Advertisement

I'm not going to argue with you because I can see it going around in circles and frankly I'm not interesting in engaging with people who think I'm ignorant and stupid.
    How is dispelling some of the myths about drugs "going in circles?" I don't think you're stupid, just misinformed in some areas.
    I'm a First Aider and I've seen first hand what drugs to people and for me it's a fools game.
    Like I said: worst-case scenarios.

If you want to put poison into your body that's your business and I respect your right to do as you please.
    Not all drugs are poisons.
    It is your prerogative not to take illegal drugs if you have no desire to do so.

My opinions are my own and I won't change them just because you think I'm being sensationalist. I'm a First Aider and I've seen first hand what drugs to people and for me it's a fools game. If you want to put poison into your body that's your business and I respect your right to do as you please.

I'm a first aider too. And i've also read reports of people actually killing others through incorrect CPR. But i'm not going to say CPR is dangerous.

Neither am i calling you ignorant, nor stupid. Just naive.

Fair enough if you don't want to injest anything like that. I don't smoke for the same reason - but just please don't preach on a topic that you only have fox news-esque facts on!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You're not going to lose your mind from smoking weed once a week.
    Or even everyday of the week.

Unfortunately your argument reads like a daily mail article, I can see why now, you only see the worst of drug use. You don't see the 90% of drug users that have a good time and don't end up needing first aid.

Your accusing people like me of being a thieving scumbags that would take the eyes out of a disabled child's head to get a fix. I've never robbed anything to pay for drugs, I have a job and it's much more convenient to use the money I get from that to pay for the things I enjoy doing.

Your the one that's causing tension and polarising the debate. You won't listen to the druggies and assume you know best even though everything you've said is inaccurate.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Your accusing people like me of being a thieving scumbags that would take the eyes out of a disabled child's head to get a fix. I've never robbed anything to pay for drugs, I have a job and it's much more convenient to use the money I get from that to pay for the things I enjoy doing.

I'm accusing no-one of anything, just stating what could potentially happen when some-one takes drugs.

I'm sure there are people, such as yourself, who are fine upstanding individuals who just enjoy drugs recreationally and I fully respect your right to do that.

I never said I know best, I'm just going on what I've experienced and trust me it wasn't nice at all.

I'm just saying for me that will never be something I'll do because yes, I have seen the worst of it and even if the risk of ending up that way is marginal (which I think is underplaying it) I won't go down that road.

I'm accusing no-one of anything, just stating what could potentially happen when some-one takes drugs.

I'm sure there are people, such as yourself, who are fine upstanding individuals who just enjoy drugs recreationally and I fully respect your right to do that.

I never said I know best, I'm just going on what I've experienced and trust me it wasn't nice at all.

I'm just saying for me that will never be something I'll do because yes, I have seen the worst of it and even if the risk of ending up that way is marginal (which I think is underplaying it) I won't go down that road.

Your implying that the worst case scenario is the most likely scenario which is not true. You might say you didn't mean to but your language is quite clear and I think it's fair to say you really don't like drug use at all. Which does make you biased, just as I'm biased at the other end, however my viewpoint isn't contributing to the restrictions on peoples lives and freedoms.

I understand where your coming from but I don't think it's based on fact and more on fear. The vast majority of drug users are nice people.

Or even everyday of the week.
    It seems to work out fine for some people, not so well for others. There is no denying that there is a correlation between heavy use of cannabis and mental health complications, though no causal link has been proven.

It's very interesting to note that an incredibly high percentage - around 90% if I recall - of schizophrenics are cigarette smokers, most of whom began smoking before the onset of the illness. It could be the case that substance abuse of any kind is an indicator of possible future schizophrenia - in other words, cannabis (it being the most widely available of illegal drugs) use could be an early symptom rather than the cause of the disease. I do believe it's possible some mind-altering substances like cannabis and psychedelics could act as a trigger for latent schizophrenia.

It seems to work out fine for some people, not so well for others. There is no denying that there is a correlation between heavy use of cannabis and mental health complications,
    Have they? Last I heard the only possible link they've found was when schizophrenics heavily use cannabis in their early teens.

I have yet to meet anyone that went crazy on weed that wasn't the full shilling to begin with.

Have they? Last I heard the only possible link they've found was when schizophrenics heavily use cannabis in their early teens.

I have yet to meet anyone that went crazy on weed that wasn't the full shilling to begin with.
    I'm just parroting the findings of the studies I've read, which stated that a fairly high percentage of schizophrenics are/were heavy cannabis smokers. I don't recall them saying anything about the age the patients started smoking, nor if they'd exhibited abnormal behaviour prior to their use of the drug.

It's worth pointing out that whilst the prevalence of smokers amongst schizophrenics is quite high, the disease itself is rare so the percentage of cannabis users who actually develop schizophrenia is very low.

I'm just parroting the findings of the studies I've read, which stated that a fairly high percentage of schizophrenics are/were heavy cannabis smokers. I don't recall them saying anything about the age the patients started smoking, nor if they'd exhibited abnormal behaviour prior to their use of the drug.

It's worth pointing out that whilst the prevalence of smokers amongst schizophrenics is quite high, the disease itself is rare so the percentage of cannabis users who actually develop schizophrenia is very low.
    But cannabis doesn't cause schizophrenia all it does is bring it out as far as I know you're either born with it or your not.

• Advertisement

But cannabis doesn't cause schizophrenia all it does is bring it out as far as I know you're either born with it or your not.
    Like I said, no causal link has been proven. It's an ongoing area of study.

Advertisement