Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice please - oil/heater prob 6 weeks after service

• 11-03-2010 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Having a problem with my 1.4L Opel Astra Life, recently got a full service in a main dealer. Yesterday I noticed that there was oil coming from somewhere spitting onto engine and little smoke coming out I checked oil levels and dip told me it was full, was going to leave into mate on Sat however bit of a drive away. This morning the problem seems worse and my oil light has come on.

I got a full service in an Opel dealer about 6-8 weeks ago, should I bring it back to them in the knowledge that its going to cost. Is there something they could have done to cause this?

Now I need the car for a lot of driving from tomorrow evening not sure what the best course of action is. Indie to look at it or main dealer?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Unless it's covered by warranty an indie will be cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Firstly you need to see where the oil is dripping from.

I've seen an oil leak from the oil pressure sensor on a corsa before, so i guess that the set-up on the astra would be similar. From memory the oil pressure switch is at the front left hand side of the engine.

If it is the oil pressure switch it should be a cheap / quick fix, if your any way handy you could do it yourself. Obviously don't drive it if the oil light is on till you get it checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Could it be caused by something done during service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Yes. But its just as likely that it is unconnected.

It could be, but more than likely not. You need to find out where the oil is coming from.

• Advertisement

It does seem to be coming from the left side close enough to timing chain.

It does seem to be coming from the left side close enough to timing chain.

If its the oil pressure sensor the oil will leak out where the wires come out the back of the sensor.

Price the sensor at the dealer, shouldn't be too bad at all.

Thanks, would this somehow have an affect on the heater blowing cold air. Seems coincidential that both problems happened today/yesterday.

Thanks again for your responses, much appreciated.

Checked oil levels again and they are a little lower but high. I have an indie garage looking at it in the morning. Hopefully it will be small as I need it tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

RE: Heater - check your coolant level. Heater has nothing to do with oil but a cold heater can be a sign of low coolant or cylinder head problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement