Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head shop burns

Options
  • 11-03-2010 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Just heard that one of the head shops was burned down last night, I think it is the one on High Street but am not too sure.

Anyone else have any news about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

didnt hear anything about it but tbh its not a major loss to the town

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I passed it this morning, it the head/adult shop on Connolly Street. It's cordoned off with a Garda outside. I couldn't get a good nosey as I was trying not to hit one of the many squad cars, it's a pretty narrow road.

I think it was a petrol bomb, whoever did it was a good shot, as most of their windows have grills, except some small ones at the top.

Might get rid of a few of the dodgy looking people from around there, there's a couple more head shops on High Street as well though.

There was no other Garda presence in the nearby area... btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Theres been such a high profile on them recently. It sounds like some group(s) have decided to take matters in their own hands.....madness people could have been injured or killed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I passed it a while ago, there was just a single garda outside. It seems to have suffered pretty bad smoke damage, thankfully nobody was hurt.

The good news is arrests have been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Gallagher5

One gets burned down in Sligo and theres bombs left outside two in Athlone - i dont think this is a conincidence. head shops are not here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

tuppence wrote: »
    Theres been such a high profile on them recently. It sounds like some group(s) have decided to take matters in their own hands.....madness people could have been injured or killed. :(

to be honest, I suspect it's more the illegal drug sellers that are doing away with the cheaper, legal competition, than people who are entirely anti-drug.

But that's just my own theory.....

I wouldn't fancy living in the apartments above the remaining head shops in town right now... :eek:

yes could well be some such vested interest.
    Until they get their legal acts together could be a random case of hooliganism. But if going on around the country it does sound quite strategic and ominous.:eek:

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    to be honest, I suspect it's more the illegal drug sellers that are doing away with the cheaper, legal competition, than people who are entirely anti-drug.

That's what you would imagine, but given that there have been arrests already - I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I'd go along with that, by all accounts the head-shops have increasingly been taking profits away from the criminal gangs. I guess between arson attacks and legislation, they'll all end up closing, and the kids can go back to buying from the murderers and arsonists instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That's what you would imagine, but given that there have been arrests already - I doubt it...

LOL

Ah, but I heard on the Radio there was CCTV. So if the Gardai recognized them straight away.....?

You would imagine someone who was used to er.. a certain way of life, would have the cop on to wear a hoody/baseball cap/both and drive something that would be burnt out within 10 minutes.

Hence, imo, it was Outraged Normal Joe Soap (who listens to Joe Duffy). :D

/hangs up Colombo's coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

gino85 wrote: »
    didnt hear anything about it but tbh its not a major loss to the town

I'm sure it is a pretty significant loss to the owners and employees of the shop, it's customers... :rolleyes: Just because what it sells are not to your taste doesn't give people the right to put lives in danger and destroy people's livelihoods.

You would imagine someone who was used to er.. a certain way of life, would have the cop on to wear a hoody/baseball cap/both and drive something that would be burnt out within 10 minutes.

Hence, imo, it was Outraged Normal Joe Soap (who listens to Joe Duffy). :D

/hangs up Colombo's coat

Ah yes returning to scene of crime then earlier, and I thought yu were doing a Tommy Gorman for us!;)
    Maybe the garda were just rounding up the usual suspects, (as per previous thread, I might be worried if I were living on Connaughton rd perhaps....:()
    Hey maybe Sligo will be on Crimewatch then soon! Look out for Columbo jacket.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I totally agree with you, I suspect 'druggies' are behind this campaign. These Head shops are selling legal highs and therefore undermining the criminals profit margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

They sound like headcases to me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Gallagher5

Shop in Ennis ordered to close now 2

Advertisement