Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatos - Waxy and Floury ones

Options
  • 11-03-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Can you list some for the waxy variety and some of the floury variety, anyone if possible?
    I have searched and all i have found is: Golden Wonders are a very floury potato.
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Can you list some for the waxy variety and some of the floury variety, anyone if possible?
    I have searched and all i have found is: Golden Wonders are a very floury potato.
    Thanks for your help

What do you want your potatoes to do - chips, wedges, skins, roast, baked, boiled, steamed, or mash?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Hi peepeep as much as i appreciate you grabbing the links from google. It wasn't that i was being lazy. I've tried google before looking for IRISH links. I genuinely wanted people to tell me, and maybe add a bit of insight in their replies. I've noticed there's not one Irish link there. Where would i buy: Charlotte, Estima, King Edward, Desiree, British Queen etc They look like potatoes that are bought in England or the UK unless im mistaken.

I wanted to be able to look at a recipe that calls for waxy or floury potatoes, dh0661, and head to the supermarket knowing which ones to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi looperman

My understanding - and maybe somebody else can give a better answer - is that new (baby) potatoes are waxy and old (fully grown) potatoes are floury. Some are more floury than others and some are better as mashed potato, chips, baked potato, etc. It usually tells you this on the packaging.

You can decide which actual variety to go for when you're in the shop. Maris Piper is a very nice full-size potato and Charlotte is one of the more common baby potatoes, for example. Both of these are available in Tesco.

Where would i buy: Charlotte, Estima, King Edward, Desiree, British Queen etc They look like potatoes that are bought in England or the UK unless im mistaken.

I wanted to be able to look at a recipe that calls for waxy or floury potatoes, dh0661, and head to the supermarket knowing which ones to buy.

First of all - go to a good greengrocer, they'll know what spud is for what.

AFAIK Charlotte, Estima and Desiree (waxy) are available in the baby new type potato.

British Queen (floury) are available during the summer, maybe from July.

King Edward are not very popular around here, I know my Dad grew them at some stage and didn't like them
    "they were yella" --- as in flesh colour like rooster, he hates them also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hi peepeep as much as i appreciate you grabbing the links from google. It wasn't that i was being lazy. I've tried google before looking for IRISH links. I genuinely wanted people to tell me, and maybe add a bit of insight in their replies. I've noticed there's not one Irish link there. Where would i buy: Charlotte, Estima, King Edward, Desiree, British Queen etc They look like potatoes that are bought in England or the UK unless im mistaken.
    You can get most if not all of those varieties in Irish shops. It says on the bags what variety they are so you will know in advance. Half (picking a figure from the air) of the potatoes sold in the supermarkets are imported anyways.

thanks a million Donna and Little Alex thats what i was looking for. Cheers

thanks Brian, i will check the potato packaging and look more closely when in the supermarket next time

look more closely when in the supermarket next time

IMO - greengrocers are still the best and offer better value, offering alot of locally grown produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I find the maris piper the best all round flavorsome spud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

It's amazing how we are losing our native knowledge of the spud.

Kerr pinks,golden wonders,british queens are floury.Bake, chip or roast.
    Maris pipers are slightly floury,as are Records, but tend towards the waxy in my view.

ALL THE REST are waxy oul sh***.
    OK if you like that sort of thing, or are making a potato salad.

Roosters are the devils own invention, taste of nothing.

bryaner wrote: »
    I find the maris piper the best all round flavorsome spud

I prefer them too - but I have noticed that they are mostly imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

cml387 wrote: »

Maris pipers are slightly floury,as are Records, but tend towards the waxy in my view.

So right, I just prefer the pipers for their consistency and cooked right
    can be floury

Roosters are pure muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I believe Leo Burdocks only use maris pipers for their chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

cml387 wrote: »

Native knowledge? Potatoes aren't native you know. As for wavy versus floury, its a matter of personal opinion no need to get so wound up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Native knowledge? Potatoes aren't native you know. As for wavy versus floury, its a matter of personal opinion no need to get so wound up about it.

I agree.
    I think in this country, we are a little obsessed with the notion of 'balls of flour' - somehow we seem to think that the more floury a potato is, the better.
    Not so, waxy potatoes have their place too!

I've noticed a big Rooster backlash lately.
    Personally, I think they are a great all rounder potato with good flavour and very few eyes and blemishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

I grew three types of potatoes last year, queens, harmony, golden wonder, the queens and golden wonders were good especially the golden wonders yum yum, I grew the harmony on the recommendation of an expert grower because I like a waxy boiled potato, they grew well and I had a good crop, but the were only fit for the pigs, they were balls of water, even after storing for months still rotten.:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm sorry, this thread isn't worth resurrecting after 4 years so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement