Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2003 Octavia 1.4l Petrol - Advice needed!

• 11-03-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

Hi there, looking at a few different cars at the moment and a person near me is selling a 2003 Octavia for 2500. It is the 1.4L Petrol though. Anyone on here have this model of octavia? (its mostly the diesel I see) The 1.4L for all my limited and I mean limited knowledge of cars seems a bit underpowered for it?

It would be mostly used for City driving with a weekly cross country spin...

Any advice greatly appreciated. Another option is a 00 Focus...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

1.4 Octavia is without question underpowered, and I would imagine that most would tell you to avoid it and go for the Focus. Having said that, I have an 07 1.4 Octavia, and it does exactly what I want it to do, which is get me into and out of work every day, do the odd long-ish trip here and there, and do that all reliably and cheaply. Just don't try and overtake anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Those engines are weak enough to be honest. Might not be a good bet, plus the lack of power might make a long spin a pain. Then again if the Focus is a 1.4 it has similar power and isn't any better. VAG cars are usually tuned to feel peppy so if anything I'd imagine the Octavia to feel a little livlier around town but it will be screaming for another gear at higher speeds. The Focus is definitely pulling lower revs at higher speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

A mate of mine got a 1.4 Octavia after his EVO was robbed.It was all he could afford,he cried a little bit everytime he had to drive that Octavia

Advertisement