Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitman Training

Options
  • 11-03-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I've made enquiries with Pitman College in Blackpool about Medical Secretary Diploma and other Medical Secretary courses there. How they work is that you learn yourself at your own pace and the Diploma course states 11 weeks duration but you can take as long as you like and when you are ready for the exam, you just ring the college a few days beforehand. I never imagined the cost would be as high as it is, 3350Euro for the Diploma. I know that this college is well recognised and that Diplomas normally would be expensive but I'm still kinda shocked at that price.

What I would like to know is, is there anybody that has done the Medical Secretary Diploma/Audio Transcription/Terminology courses or even Legal Secretary courses there? Can they recommend it? And are there many jobs in these sectors at the moment? I was told by the course advisor that there are no Legal Secretary jobs now because Conveyancing is non-existant but when I do a bit of research I see more Legal Sec roles in Cork than Medical Sec roles! If anybody has any feedback on Pitman/any of the Med Secretary courses/Legal Secretary courses, I'd be very interested to hear. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭mary55

Hey there I'm doing the Secretarial Diploma course. Seems good so far you can work at your own pace no pressure on you to finish something at a certain time always someone on hand to help if you it you just have to ask. I don't know about the Legal or Medical diploma courses maybe would you better off doing the Secretarial Diploma course or a kind of a more general course and not just limit yourself to one kind of job such as you would be doing if you took the Medical or Legal Diploma option. You don't have to do this just my thoughts on the matter.
    The cost is quite high but you only pay half of the cost up front and then you can pay the rest however you in want in installments or whatever you like. The Secretarial Diploma course is €2,850 so just paid €1,425 up front. Anyway hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Thanks for the information, I don't seem to be getting anymore on the Medical side of it.
    I went to Secretarial College and have 20 years experience working in Secretarial/PA/Administrator roles. If I'm going to look for this sort of work or stay in this field then I'd like to do something different, i.e. medical or legal. Really, what I'd like to know is, which is a tougher job to do, they can be both complicated.
    Appreciate the feedback anyway, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JenniferA1

Hi there,
    I've completed my Med Sec diploma with Pitman Training in Tralee last january and while initially i was a bit shocked at the price i suppose when i put it into context against what i'd be earning i figured it was a small price to pay - basically a friend of mine had done the Exec PA diploma and loved it a year before (she's now working in London - lucky her) and i had been out of work for about 6 months - which was all very well for a while but then desperation set in and i new i had to do something and quickly! I loved the way you learn and as i have a child the flexibility suited me in way that no other course would have. Anyway the bottom line is they helped me put my cv together and i started applying for jobs on the jobs board (they do a board in Tralee every week and i assume they do the same in Cork as it's the same people who own it i think). I got an interview for a position in a gp's office and i got it!! I'm absolutely thrilled to have found a job so quickly and to be honest i wouldn't have gotten it if i hadn't the Medical side done, as well as all the office stuff that comes as part of it. I think they've flexibility on the electives you can do too though - did you ask about taking legal modules as electives as i know a girl who did that; so she can look at applying for legal as well as medical jobs... Also the office side of the diploma means you could apply for regular admin jobs as well as med / legal.... Hope this helps, i genuinely have only good things to say about the place - all staff really helpful and a really nice atmosphere etc...

Thanks for the information, feedback on the Medical courses are particularly of interest. I have intermediate knowledge of Word and Excel already, not Powerpoint though and we are thinking of upgrading to Word 2007 at home. I've been looking at Tutorials on the internet to update my knowlege on Microsoft packages and will invest in a book to further study these. The Diploma is 3300 Eur, but I'd be paying 1500 Euro to study some Modules at home that I would be studying myself anyway, I know there is the Diploma at the end of it and this would be impressive on my CV but it is a lot of money when I don't really need to spend it.
    I've years of Secretarial experience behind me so I might just do the two smaller courses (Introduction to Medical) and (Terminology) just to gain access into the Medical sector. My speed and accuracy at typing is good, so I wouldn't really need to do these modules either.

How are you finding the 'Medical Terminology' side of the course? And the 'Introduction to Medical Secretarial' course? I believe the Introduction course is very indepth, according to the Pitman Supervisor.

JenniferA1 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I've completed my Med Sec diploma with Pitman Training in Tralee last january and while initially i was a bit shocked at the price i suppose when i put it into context against what i'd be earning i figured it was a small price to pay - basically a friend of mine had done the Exec PA diploma and loved it a year before (she's now working in London - lucky her) and i had been out of work for about 6 months - which was all very well for a while but then desperation set in and i new i had to do something and quickly! I loved the way you learn and as i have a child the flexibility suited me in way that no other course would have. Anyway the bottom line is they helped me put my cv together and i started applying for jobs on the jobs board (they do a board in Tralee every week and i assume they do the same in Cork as it's the same people who own it i think). I got an interview for a position in a gp's office and i got it!! I'm absolutely thrilled to have found a job so quickly and to be honest i wouldn't have gotten it if i hadn't the Medical side done, as well as all the office stuff that comes as part of it. I think they've flexibility on the electives you can do too though - did you ask about taking legal modules as electives as i know a girl who did that; so she can look at applying for legal as well as medical jobs... Also the office side of the diploma means you could apply for regular admin jobs as well as med / legal.... Hope this helps, i genuinely have only good things to say about the place - all staff really helpful and a really nice atmosphere etc...

Well done on getting a job so quickly, that's good going these days. I actually am looking to get into the medical sector for a bit of a more interesting job in the Secretarial field of work, this is why I was thinking of doing the Medical courses but I also like to be surrounded by people and not working on my own, and now I'm thinking it doesn't maybe work like that, that if I was working with a GP I would be on my own, is this the way it is for you? It would be nice to get into the hospitals or clinics, normally there are lots of people in these areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 RachelS32

Hi Guys i know this post is old but im hoping someone help me, im thinking of doing a PA diploma course with Pitman but before I hand out the €€€ I was wondering if anyone has done this and did they further their career with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had a look back in 2009/10. And decided against it as they were very pushy on the sales front. Despite telling them I was on the dole, they expected me to pay a third of my dole money every week.

I don't know what they promise now, but back then they guaranteed a job at the end of the course. When I asked about the kind of jobs they placed students in and the companies they dealt with, I got no response.

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RachelS32

Hi ABajaninCork many thanks for that I like yourself did go to them in 2009 and like that they were very pushy on the money end and plus their expensive, I work 3 days a week and it was like they were telling me to forget my other expenses and go with them BUT the reason why I am thinking of them now is because I cant seem to find anywhere in Dublin that does a Exec PA course in the evenings and feel ive stuck my job out long enough part time (with hope of going back full time) and now its time to brush up my skills and move on.

I did a Medical Secretary and Audio Transcription Certificate course with Pitman Cork in 2010, costing €1,000 for the two (they wanted more but I said I'd do the two for the grand). I didn't get a job at the end of it, in fact I found it very hard to get into the medical sector because I had no transcription experience. I don't recall getting much help with jobs or interviews afterwards. They didn't go out of their way to make sure I got work, of course I have to do most of the work too. I'm working now in the hospitality/catering industry. I wasn't impressed with Pitman in Cork, I was nearly finished my audio transcription course and towards the end of it only then did I receive my book, I had to use the college copy (after spending that much money I was appalled). I enjoyed the course immensly as I learned loads for myself, I still wouldn't mind getting into a Medical Centre somewhere but I wouldn't do another course with them, they are too expensive. Of course, Pitman are widely recognised but you would want to get excellent reviews before thinking of investing in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

JenniferA1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm always a little suspicious of a new poster who 'just happens' to spot a thread and posts a gushing recommendation.

Jennifer A1 hasn't been this way since!

Also, for someone who's completed a Med Sec Diploma, her typing is not great. (Neither is mine - but I didn't spend € '000's on a course!)

I stopped proof-reading half way through....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah, I noticed the shill post too, but didn't bother to comment...She's probably been banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Does anyone else have more information on this crowd?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roxu

Hi guys. I want to start a course in Pitman training in Dublin but they are very expensive. for Admin Assistant/Secretarial they asked me 2500€ and I don.t know if they are recognised or not. would I receive any certificate after I finish the course? I don.t really want to do this course, spend a lot of money and not to find a job after. can someone give me an advice? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 twisha

Hey there, i have completed my Company Secretarial course from India a year back and looking for jobs based on that qualification here in Dublin but in vain. I came across this PITMAN Legal/Secretarial Training Course and was wondering if it is worth the money. Just have some quick questions regarding this:
    1. Do they provide any certificate at the end of the course?
    2. Do they help us in getting jobs or the onus is just on us?
    3. is the course well recognised?
    4. What is the duration of the course?
    5. Is the course classroom based or PC-based?

Can someone advise me on the same? Appreciate help. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

Hay there

I am thinking of doing PA Diploma in Pitman Training.

Can anyone tell me anything about this course? Price etc?

I am working in the financial sector at the moment and I want to have a back up so I am debating between PA Dipolma, medical secretary or legal secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello well I didn't do any course's but I did go for a meeting with them. To be honest I walked away going what a false front they show..

They make it seem like they have affordable course's for everybody but to be honest they don't.. Well in my head, I went in to enquire maybe about doing some legal sec course and they were all about €3,500 for stuff that is basic enough...

They were frustrating to deal with at the beginning as I sent in an enquiry, got a call back and emails about arranging a meeting and I asked numerous times how much were the courses..In the end I was given false hope of that they start at €500 or somewhere around that price.

Fine if you have money to spend like thousands but if you don't I would look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

Can you recommend any cheaper courses online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hi Benny, I haven't started on this one yet just time and what not but this place ARLT look to be fairly decent. Not sure if they would have a course to suit you but worth a look.. No BS with them me thinks it does what it says.

It is for personal assistant is it?

Advertisement