Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to say "please take one"

Options
  • 11-03-2010 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Imagine you see a display-case with business cards or flyers, and there's a sign saying "Please take one".

How do I write that in Polish?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

unJustMary wrote: »
    Imagine you see a display-case with business cards or flyers, and there's a sign saying "Please take one".

How do I write that in Polish?

Proszę wziąć.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

spurious wrote: »
    Proszę wziąć.

-jak juz to "prosze wziasc" -oczywiscie z "si" i "ci"(nie mam PL liter) ,ale tak raczej i tak sie nie pisze, moim zdaniem bardziej pasuje

:) -nie wiem co ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Maja wrote: »
    -jak juz to "prosze wziasc" -oczywiscie z "si" i "ci"(nie mam PL liter) ,ale tak raczej i tak sie nie pisze, moim zdaniem bardziej pasuje

:) -nie wiem co ;)

"wziac" jest poprawniejsza forma... Tez nie mam "ogonkow", ale wiadomo o co chodzi :)

"Prosze wziac" sounds ok to me... I don't really know what I would put there myself, to be honest... Everyone would know what the story is about with that translation, though:)

-o kurcze, wyglada na to ,ze masz racje -ale wtopa ;):o ,ale "wziac" -kto tak mowi? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

-o kurcze, wyglada na to ,ze masz racje -ale wtopa ;):o ,ale "wziac" -kto tak mowi? :confused:

ja :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Ci, którzy mówią poprawnie? ;)

"wziąść" is a popular although absolutely incorrect form of the verb "wziąć"

As regards the OP's question, somehow "Proszę wziąć" doesn't sound right...I mean, it's perfectly correct, it just sounds a bit dash. I think it would be more natural in Polish to add an object as in "please take x" -> Proszę wziąć ulotkę (flyer) or wizytówkę (business card).

Sorry I can't come up with anything better than this :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not a native speaker, so perhaps my suggestion was incorrect, but in English the sign would just say 'please take one', not 'please take a leaflet' or 'please take a flyer'.

Perhaps in Poland things are more long-winded, though from my few visits there I can't say I experienced Polish customer relations as being overly wordy or polite. :D

spurious wrote: »
    I'm not a native speaker, so perhaps my suggestion was incorrect, but in English the sign would just say 'please take one', not 'please take a leaflet' or 'please take a flyer'.

Perhaps in Poland things are more long-winded, though from my few visits there I can't say I experienced Polish customer relations as being overly wordy or polite. :D

-it has nothing to do with customer relations and here in Ireland -I can say they are much more better -LOTS of unprofessional stuff! :rolleyes:
    and if you would put sign in polish saying :

"prosze WZIAC jedna" -that would sound awful stupid -I cant even say exactly why -but it would!

Spurious - your translation was absolutely correct, what I meant to say was that the verb needs an object to sound natural. In English you use "one" to replace the object while in Polish there's no universal noun substitute that can be applied here. Like Maja said "Proszę wziąć jedną" would sound even weirder than "Proszę wziąć." The trouble is that the word "one" in this context cannot be translated literally as a numeral. That's why I suggested using a common noun rather than having a transitive verb stand on its own.

I think the most common expresion which is used in banks etc is just

WEZ ULOTKE ( take a flyer ) ,

without any "please" , or "one"

-and that sounds right and not strange at all

:cool:

-it should look exactly like this:

Weź ulotkę

• Advertisement

"Proszę weź ulotkę" is too informal. "Proszę wziąć ulotkę" - the option I suggested before sounds better and looks more official.

Advertisement