Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rug - First time

Options
  • 11-03-2010 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Could anyone one give me advice on how to introduce rugs to my two unbroken dartmoor pony's
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

How old are they? are they well handled, leading etc? If so, then they should be no problem really. just approach them letting them see/sniff the rugs and slowly just put them across their backs - don't throw them over at the 1st attempt! I have an 8 year old mare, 10 month old filly and 16 year pony - all unbroken, but handled but none of them had ever worn rugs before...the 10 month old filly was the quietest, i threw it on her straight away, quickly, but luckily she passed no heed. With the mare and pony, they were a bit more suspicious of what i was approaching them with, but i didnt do anything more, only than put it on them slowly and took it on and off again a few times till they got used to the noise and weight of it, but that didnt take more than a few minutes and they've being no problem since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Try putting it folded up over the shoulder. Tie up the straps firmly so they are not dangling. You could try first with a big fat numnah. Use a lighter rug first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Depending on how well handled the ponies are it may take a while to get them used to having the rugs on their back, let alone fastened around their neck and on them for more than a few minutes.

As dr evil mentioned, you might need to use a heavy numnah to get them used to something on their back. Putting the folded rug on their withers and then back would also help. Also, as mentioned, ensure that the belly straps are sufficiently short so as to ensure their legs don't get caught up in them, but yet loose enough so as not to be too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

When I got my mare she had never worn a rug, luckilly she was handled well enough.

She did throw a freaker though first attempt and turned into a bronco! I only put a light sweat sheet on her and she did not like it.

After a while though they get used to it, although my mare hates rugs, she'll try her hardest to get out of them and when you're putting them on you have to watch out for teeth! :rolleyes:

Advertisement