Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timeout reported on form submission - how to investigate?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

We are using a webpage to allow volunteers for a St Patrick's Day event to sign up http://suas.ie/sign-up.html but last night one person contacted us to say that after they pressed 'register' the page went blank... and then timed out.

We've tested it on 3 different browsers this morning and it worked fine in each case. I've asked our developers (just a few minutes ago!), but it's very short notice, I'm sure they're ridiculously busy and I thought people here might have some ideas about how to investigate it.

What steps might you recommend for us to get to the bottom of this? The person with the timeout was using Firefox, I don't know what version yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Hi Mate,

Just tested on Firefox from here and everything looks ok. Tried a couple of things but couldn't break it :D Not sure how many sign ups you got but it could have been a loss of connection at the users end.

You could use google analytics to check that all the people who hit the validation page are getting the confirmation page. Other than that I assume you have an error log setup on your validation page ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

did you check you server logs? was there any loss on connectivity ?
    any 500,400 error codes etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭suas

Thanks guys.

Afraid I don't know if we have error logs in those places and I wouldn't know where to look. As it is, no-one else has reported the issue and it hasn't shown up in testing. I've added a note to the page asking people to call if they don't get the confirmation email - happy enough with that.

rossc007, I deleted those test sign-ups - but you are more than welcome to join us for the day if you like, it's LOADS of fun!

Advertisement