Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy brake discs ATE?

• 11-03-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Im looking for front brake discs for my car(03 VW Passat) . Was in my local shop but they only have it Mintex or QH prefer ATE.
    Anyone know good and cheap online shop with it (could be from UK) or somethinh in NI?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Try vwspares.co.uk

Why ATE discs out of curiousity? Are they the OEM fittment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Think Otto do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Because I think that they are a lot better like this in my local shop Mintex or QH brand.But im open to any recommendation - not to expensive.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Did you try eurocarparts? Online shop with an office in NI. Usually very good prices.
    http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Car-Parts

If it were my 03 Passat I would go with the cheapest discs I could find rather than looking for a specific brand. Your choice though

Well, as you are buying standard discs (i.e. not upgrading in terms of size) the thermal mass and cooling capabilities from each of the disc manufacturers will be more or less identical. Hence, in terms of stopping performance there will be no great difference.

The only area where one can be 'better' or 'worse' is in the manufacturing tolerances, i.e. the amount of runout. A disc with a lot of runout would result in brake judder.

I've used Mintex discs before and had no problems. On ebay you can buy mintex disc & pads sets which are good value and good quality.

Make sure to change your pads at the same time or else your old pads may ruin your new discs.

• Advertisement

Just had a look on vwspares, for about £75 + del you can get a set of front discs (febi) and a set of pads (trw).

Check out ebay though, you get some good parts retailers there too.

I can have it Mintex for 66€ both from my local shop-not sure is it good or not.

Brake pads are nearly new so I keep them.

Front or rear?

If front, yeah that seems like a decent price I'd go for it.

Check your pads for and scoring or taper wear - if they seem uniformly worn and without scoring you can keep them but if not id replace them or your discs will never bed in properly.

Front brake discs so i think Ill buy them-just wonder how many miles you can do on it.
    Thanks for help.

At the end I buy discs and pads from VW Dealer for 150 Ł

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Bit late now but I got ATE discs from OTTO recently

Advertisement