Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Money in Football

• 11-03-2010 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps this is an unhealthy view to take but am I the only person who took some pleasure from Real Madrids defeat in the champions league last night.

Almost a quarter of a billion euro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

orourkeda wrote: »
    Perhaps this is an unhealthy view to take but am I the only person who took some pleasure from Real Madrids defeat in the champions league last night.

Almost a quarter of a billion euro.

Wow, that's deep. You are one of the great intellects of our time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

I had a bet on them to win the whole thing so i'm raging, plus i was looking forward to them maybe playing United and Ronaldo scoring against them.

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are erudite considered posts a prerequisite for soccer forums?

What's wrong with what he said?

stovelid wrote: »

The thread title was a general thread title on what is a topic that conjurs up some serious debate. But then the OP was just 'Real Madrid epitomise a team with too much money. I'm glad they lost, rich buffoons'.
    It was just a huge let down

• Advertisement

Nothing, he (Randolph) just thinks he William Shakespeare :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

God, this old chestnut.

Man.United/Chelsea/Wealthy football club fan:" Real Mardrid have no class. MERCENARIES blah blah blah"
    :rolleyes:

The thread title was a general thread title on what is a topic that conjurs up some serious debate. But then the OP was just 'Real Madrid epitomise a team with too much money. I'm glad they lost, rich buffoons'.

No need to be d1ck about it though eh! Your post couldnt have been anymore condescending!

No need to be d1ck about it though eh! Your post couldnt have been anymore condescending!

Perhaps, but I have a cold and I hardly slept last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer springs to mind.

And if anybody is tired of taking irrational pleasure in bad results for teams that they hate, they're on the wrong forum and, indeed, in the wrong sport.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but I have a cold and I hardly slept last night

LOL fair enough so, man flu is it. :pac:

LOL fair enough so, man flu is it. :pac:

I'm so weak :(

I'm so weak :(

Lucky you have your strong intellect then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you flip the very sketchy topic I think you're trying to broach OP and look at who they played last night; you have a fairly decent example of what constitutes a well run club - Lyon have stayed at the top of French Football in the last few years with the pretty basic strategy of buying promising players within the league and then selling them on to the big clubs for large profit. Essien, Diarra and Benzema being a few that sold for big money through clever dealing by their president. This allied to a strong fanbase and continuing success in the Champions League despite being a relatively small club in the grand scheme of things has them holding court in France for the past ten years. Although their stranglehold on Ligue Un is loosening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Nothing, he just thinks he William Shakespeare :pac:

Thats quite a conclusion to draw. I only made a statement on Real Madrids exit from the CL and the amount of money they'd spent. Relax

cson wrote: »
    If you flip the very sketchy topic I think you're trying to broach OP and look at who they played last night; you have a fairly decent example of what constitutes a well run club - Lyon have stayed at the top of French Football in the last few years with the pretty basic strategy of buying promising players within the league and then selling them on to the big clubs for large profit. Essien, Diarra and Benzema being a few that sold for big money through clever dealing by their president. This allied to a strong fanbase and continuing success in the Champions League despite being a relatively small club in the grand scheme of things has them holding court in France for the past ten years. Although their stranglehold on Ligue Un is loosening.

Benz wasn't bought.

It doesnt have to be real madrid. It could be man city, chelsea or any number of other clubs. DONT GET YOUR KNICKERS IN TOO MUCH OF A TWIST THERE

Thats quite a conclusion to draw. I only made a statement on Real Madrids exit from the CL and the amount of money they'd spent. Relax
    How many William Shakespeares turn up at Anfield every week?

I was talking about Randolph, and here was me defending you

I was talking about Randolph, and here was me defending you :rolleyes:

My apologies. I misunderstood. Deleted sorry about that

My apologies. I misunderstood

No worries :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ush1 wrote: »
    Benz wasn't bought.

Better again, home grown player = larger profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I thought the chairman of Lyon was massively rich and had pumped a crap load of money into them to get them where they are (while also getting nice money for Essien, Diarra and Benzema).

From what I understood, Lyon are massive spenders in France, and at least part of that is cause of their rich owner. Is this not the case?

It seems that regular qualification for the CL almost guarantees pretty sizable debts.

Just to take the top 4 in England as an example. I'm very much open to correction but I'd say that Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool probably have the biggest debts in British football. This despite all clubs having reached at least 1 final since 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

yeah never mind richest club in france theyre probably one of the richest clubs in the world.i dont think lyon have any debts,think the owner got rid of all of them when he bought the club.

It seems that regular qualification for the CL almost guarantees pretty sizable debts.

Just to take the top 4 in England as an example. I'm very much open to correction but I'd say that Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool probably have the biggest debts in British football. This despite all clubs having reached at least 1 final since 2005.

Rubbish logic.

1. United are in debt purely cause of being bought in a leveraged takeover. Nothing to do with trying to obtain CL success.

2. Arsenal are in (very managable) debt purely due to building a new stadium. The return a profit each year as far as i know.

3. Chelsea are not in any debt (though I think they run at a loss) as RA changed the 500million they owe him into shares.

4. Liverpool are in debt mainly because of the leveraged takeover, though I am not sure if they were profit or loss making before that.

Nothing to do with CL qualification at all. If anything, the debts would be larger if one of them failed to qualify for the CL (and everything else remained as it was)

I thought the chairman of Lyon was massively rich and had pumped a crap load of money into them to get them where they are (while also getting nice money for Essien, Diarra and Benzema).

From what I understood, Lyon are massive spenders in France, and at least part of that is cause of their rich owner. Is this not the case?

Lyon are by far the biggest spenders in France and are a very wealthy club. Jean Michel Aulas is wealthy and shrewd in the transfer market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

noticing the hypocrisy, i like :)

still though - i love when real madrid lose at anything so i was very happy to see a functional hard working side beat los blancos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer springs to mind.

And if anybody is tired of taking irrational pleasure in bad results for teams that they hate, they're on the wrong forum and, indeed, in the wrong sport.

You've lsot me there:confused:

Jazzy wrote: »
    noticing the hypocrisy, i like :)

still though - i love when real madrid lose at anything so i was very happy to see a functional hard working side beat los blancos

sorry, my hypocrisy or someone else's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I dunno if this thread's about Madrid, Lyon or money...

but here's a good rant that would make ye proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

In terms of money and football and all that there:

As much as it pains me to say this and think of this... it would be a huge vindication of Arsenal, who are trying to run a football club properly and nurture talent and not fling money away, if they managed to win either the Prem, the Champions League or dare I say, both.

I do not like Arsenal (for obvious reasons!) but I do believe that it is one of the better run clubs in the English Premiership and is also a title challenger year in, year out, despite not spending utter millions on new players and so on and so forth..

Yes, they have a massive debt, but that was for a long term investment (a new stadium with increased capacity to increase gate returns and is not like a flashy young player with a sell by date of 5/6 years; stadium is there for a looooooooong time) and apart from this investment, they are genuinely trying to run things properly and like a business. They have a shrewd manager and an impressive team.

I may not like them, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

God, this old chestnut.

Man.United/Chelsea/Wealthy football club fan:" Real Mardrid have no class. MERCENARIES blah blah blah"

I need more than one thanks for this. Spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Madrid prove that throwing money at a football club does not guarantee success. Its seems to be the common consensus that if you spend ludicrous money on players and then pay them even more ludicrous wages you'll be better off as a club and in a better position to win trophies.

What they are over looking is the fact that you can only have 11 players on the pitch at any one time and if they aren't fully committed or know how to play well together as a unit it all counts for nothing.

They are a badly run club with the business people dictating to the manager.

God, this old chestnut.

I certainly dont support Manchester United, Chelsea or Real Madrid.

I just wish people who work in professional football would take a sensible long term approach to the running of their clubs.

This spend spend spend culture is insane and guarantees nothings

DazMarz wrote: »
    In terms of money and football and all that there:

As much as it pains me to say this and think of this... it would be a huge vindication of Arsenal, who are trying to run a football club properly and nurture talent and not fling money away, if they managed to win either the Prem, the Champions League or dare I say, both.

I do not like Arsenal (for obvious reasons!) but I do believe that it is one of the better run clubs in the English Premiership and is also a title challenger year in, year out, despite not spending utter millions on new players and so on and so forth..

Yes, they have a massive debt, but that was for a long term investment (a new stadium with increased capacity to increase gate returns and is not like a flashy young player with a sell by date of 5/6 years; stadium is there for a looooooooong time) and apart from this investment, they are genuinely trying to run things properly and like a business. They have a shrewd manager and an impressive team.

I may not like them, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge them.

I wouldnt go as far as to say that Arsenal are the exception but very much in the minority.

They are certainly one of the better run clubs but they have a very fine balancing act to perform as opposed to clubs like Aston Villa and Spurs who do not have to depend on CL money at the moment. That may change if they can maintain their respective levels of progress though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DazMarz wrote: »

As an Arsenal fan, I should point out that they had a huge degree of luck with the stadium and it's financing.

They shelled out ludicrous sums of money to stay in Islington, buying out an entire industrial estate. In the case of a few semi-states they not only had to pay for the plot, but they also had to arrange and fund for their relocation.

The deal with the Emirates was also a bit of a gamble, lots of money up front but now they are locked into a deal not worth half of what they could be getting.

And then there was the Highbury development. They had a phenomenal level of presales really and this is what got them through the property crash, it could have been so very different. All in all, it was a nervy couple of years for the club, they assumed a lot more risk than was wise in many respects.

At the end of the day, the one thing Arsenal could rely on to get them through was the level of corporate seating and corporate box sales the Emirates generated. A survey of incomes found Arsenal fans are the second richest in England, behind only spuds? I think. So while Arsenal are a very well managed club, theirs' isn't a model that all clubs can follow.

Advertisement