Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of hospital appointments

Options
  • 11-03-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't want to post this under my normal username in case anyone would recognise me. I don't want anyone knowing I'm pregnant yet

Anyway I need to choose a hospital and am wondering do I need to choose one that is closer to work for hospital appointments?
    How many appointments do you need to have?
    And for the likes of Holles Street that have satellite clinics, how many of these can be at the clinic and not the hospital?

I hadn't thought of all of this when I was at the doctor, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

If you do combined care (and most people do) you have your first appt at around 16 weeks in the clinic, then go to your gp 4 weeks later, then back to the clinic 4 weeks later and so on up until 32 weeks, then you go alternately evey 2 weeks up until 36 weeks, then weekly after that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Offhand I can't remember I think it is about 6 unless there is complications and then a lot more.
    The antenatal classes are also run in the hospital.
    I think you can go to the satellite clinic for all your regular check ups and then you deliver in the hospital or for more serious issues you go to the hospital.
    I went directly to Holles St as it is near work.

Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for both your replies
    Crazycatlady - when you say GP and then clinic, do you mean the satellite clinics that Holles street offer? I know they are further out that their midwife lead clinics, and I'm not sure if there is a difference?

And are other hospitals the same if they have the satellite clinics? We were also considering Wexford because of where we live, its equal distance to Holles Street and to Wexford. But working in Dublin I couldn't make it down there to all the appointments, they have a clinic in our town, so could I assume that all their appointments would be there, except for the scan in the hospital?

While I'm on the subject, do you know if Holles street are supportive of Gentlebirthing? I'm thinking of giving this a go, but I have read that this hospital is so busy that they like to rush things along factory like, in terms of medication used to deliver the placenta, or quick to rupture waters, etc. Obviously I don't know a whole lot myself, but I would like to think I have as much time as I need, unless there is something wrong with the baby and they need to intervene.

Advertisement