Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Gormley ruins 800+ job opportunity at The Park

• 11-03-2010 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

You would think with the number of jobs being lost John Gormely wouldnt be making decisions like this....John, the unempolyed of South Dublin salute you.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...y-2091362.html

This was going to be in the undeveloped part of The Park in Carrickmines - would have been a huge success, instead he says it will effect the planned development of Cherrywood - which is unlikely ever to be built. Ideology over job creation by the Greens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Have to say, much as I'm sick of John Gormley, how many more retail centres does South Dublin need? These are no more real jobs than the 250 ones announced by MacDonalds http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0303/mcdonalds.html

There are still the same number of people who need to eat and MacDonalds new jobs mean jobs are going to be lost elsewhere. In just the same way these massive new retail centres are wiping out the small entrepreneur so where is the net jobs gain? As for the jobs in construction we have already seen the results of uncontrolled building in the house sector and now the country is full of zombie hotels and empty housing estates. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Is he doing it in spite that all the greens lost their seats in that area in the last elections??

Regardless if south Dublin needs another retail centre.. If companies are prepared to fill the units and employ people then it shouldn't be a question..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RogueT

fair point...but The Park is already there and is the busiest retail park i have ever experienced. Additional retailers would mean a better choice for existing customers aswell as new ones. Its also the only decent centre that is easily accesible for people living in North Wicklow. The develpor has already signed up a anchor tenant - its easy to make statements regarding the building of somewhere when you are not one of the hundreds of construction workers out of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

there is an old saying, what can one expect from a pig only a grunt.

PS - Gormley is proposing an alternative Shopping Centre of 35,000sq m's be built less than 2 miles away - the only problem is its in Cherrywood, an area that the developer will not build on for the next 10-15 years. So he is clearly not concerned about it being an over supply issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RogueT wrote: »
    Its also the only decent centre that is easily accesible for people living in North Wicklow.

if theres a demand for better retail locations in Wicklow then build them in Wicklow rather than having people driving 20, 30, 40 miles to Carrickmines.

Planning in this country has been a shambolic mess for decades - whatever else the Greens may or may not have done, at least they're making some attempt to reform our utterly corrupt planning system - in many ways they're too late, but we have to start somewhere.

lets be realistic - nobody is going to build anything in wicklow...i was merely pointing out that for the likes of people in bray and greystones etc it offers a facility aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What do we need more shopping centres for? We should be trying to encourage shops to open in Bray and Greystones town centres, The likes of Dundrum, Liffey Valley etc kill our town centres and create more reliance on cars

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    What do we need more shopping centres for? We should be trying to encourage shops to open in Bray and Greystones town centres, The likes of Dundrum, Liffey Valley etc kill our town centres and create more reliance on cars

I second that - if you where to stroll down Dundrum main street you can witness the slow sad decline of the village since the appalling town centre opened in 2005.

dogmatix wrote: »
    I second that - if you where to stroll down Dundrum main street you can witness the slow sad decline of the village since the appalling town centre opened in 2005.

Exactly and by encouraging shops in our town centres we're encouraging localised employment as opposed to employment in the soulless cathedrals that are Dundrum "Town Centre"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ah now, the old Dundrum village has been in decline since the 90's if not before, the old centre was/is a mess, and traffic was crazy all day long.

The Greens being idiots again, has there ever been a more shambolic party in Government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I think Bray which serves the N11 and the M50 would be a better location for a new shopping plaza. It has much more traffic and north west of carrickmines you have tallaght square which serves that region and north you have dundrum which serves that region and east you have dun laoghaire and sallynoggin and few centres dotted about.

Carrick mines isnt the perfect location and it is situated south west of the M50and not easily accessible by modern transport. In all honesty why they chose there at all as Tallaght and Dundrum and Dun laoghaire are the main hubs which are cater for the regions. The area that they proposed putting the park is actually completley inaccessible to pedestrians. I mean literally out of limits. There is a very loose bus system and no train or luas. The only advantage the park has is the M50.

Bray on the other hand is central to has a vast array of modern and quite intensive public transport including the dart and countless dublin buses. The luas would be an attractive addition in a few years. It without doubt the most sensible long term option with both the M50 and the N11 and smaller road system converging onto it. It is entwined in so many road system including all west and north and south bound road networks that it is guaranteed at the very least to provide a sustainable service.

Carrickmines park was a big ambitious initiative to build houses into the beatiful countryside land behind carrickmines and now with the property developers bankrupt with much less control of their empire they have lost a grip on one of the more tranquile sites left in west dublin. With their being 300,000 houses sitting empty in ireland and a dwindling population there is absolutely no need for these houses to be built and hence a terrible tragedy has occured.

Carrickmines is no longer going to happen. It is over. Higher emigration and fewer immigrants coming to ireland also means that demand will fall for some time.

While I predict 'New starts' will once again become worth building around 2017 for their higher selling power, they will possibly not be zoned at the expense of the countryside anymore and more likely planned with more care and attention with less focus on the fast buck.

In the meantime we have a park that has to be built and jobs that were promised and Bray offers that oppourtunity. Bray has beaches sea and hopefully sand will be zoned into the beaches south of the harbour.
    It promises both sea and countryside with many activities and truly a great day out for all people of all ages with a heighthened pedestrian area.

What has carrickmines to offer to the pedestrian.The nearest attraction is a huge municipal dump and north 6 lanes of fast moving traffic. There is no easy access to the beautiful countryside behind it due to the recession these areas will not be pedestrianised or accesible.

It is time for Bray to capitalise on it proximity and long history of providing
    a service to the surrounding Dublin county with famous locations within easy reach. Bray dart service alone serves the entire breadth of east and central Dublin ( including luas lines) & dublin coastline and reaches destinations as far as waterford and belfast.

If we combine Bray town centre with carrickmines Park we would have a huge success that we can share with our friends in Belfast and in Waterford in a little over 2 hours travel time. Bray can accomodate what ever it is thrown at it.

pirelli wrote: »
    Bray can accomodate what ever it is thrown at it.

Can it?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Can it?

Katie Taylor can take it and come out a winner.

pirelli wrote: »
    Katie Taylor can take it and come out a winner.
    What's Katie Taylor got to with a shopping centre? Also have you never heard of the florentine centre?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭prunudo

While I understand that the likes of Bray and Dundrum town centres are in decline and this needs to be addressed, I wish people would stop going on about the over reliance of cars. The Park will be served by the luas by the end of the year as will Cherrywood when ever it gets built.

But here is the main point, if I go to the likes of the Park I can buy a 46" tv, a mountain bike, a few tins of paint, clothes form Tk Maxx, 53 etc all in one location. Do people really expect me to get a bus into Bray town centre and carry these items back on a bus!!

Yes maybe we do use ours cars to much but sometimes by being able just go to one location it can actually reduce usage.

Advertisement