Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlazBlue EU Launch - Tournament interest check

Options
  • 11-03-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

With BlazBlue finally coming out in Europe (19th or the 26th? I still dunno!), I just wanted to do a quick check to see if there'd be any interest in doing a tournament soon after the launch. I dunno about the logistics of running a tourney down south, but if it's likely to get a lot more interest down there I'd possibly be able to travel if it's on during either Sunday or Saturday evening. Obviously I'd much rather run it in Belfast since it's a lot more convenient for myself (selfish bastard) and I'm familiar with the possible venues, but it's all down to where the players are and if they're willing to travel.

Alternatively, since we're all on the same landmass, an online tournament is a possibility. Obviously entry fee and prizes wouldn't quite be as important in an online tourney, but it's still an option. Kinda hard to promote the game that way, though, since you need to already own a copy to play online!

Don't take this as any kind of confirmation of an event, I just want to see if the interest is there for me to try to organise something. Post here if you're interested, have any ideas for promotion, or just have anything you wanna add!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I plan on running a tournament down here sometime around the end of march, start of april. Game is out on the 19th... was put back by 1 week. Dunno why though, i played the 360 EU Version in Cannes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Wouldn't a marathon casual session be a better starting point? Get people in (of all skills) trying the game. Maybe a quick-fire tournament at the end of a day then?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Xinkai wrote: »
    I plan on running a tournament down here sometime around the end of march, start of april. Game is out on the 19th... was put back by 1 week. Dunno why though, i played the 360 EU Version in Cannes.
    Awesome, I'll just let you do your thing then down south! I might be able to make it depending on when it's on. I'll see about running another one up north if there's interest.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Wouldn't a marathon casual session be a better starting point? Get people in (of all skills) trying the game. Maybe a quick-fire tournament at the end of a day then?
    It might be different in Dublin, but here in Belfast unless it's SF4, casual play just doesn't get a turnout. We've tried since June to get new players into BB but unless it's an event like a tournament, people just won't give it the time of day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ah, that's unfortunate...

Give a shout though when you have all the details.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

That's cause BB is a bad game :pac:

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    That's cause BB is a bad game :pac:
    Sssssh, we don't want them to know that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

They delayed it!? F*ck that, my interest was already waning in this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

I just play CS now so I don't know how bothered I'd be.

It kinda bugs me that CT has been dropped for months now because of CS. You don't see the SF4 players not bothering to play vanilla SF4 because Super is coming up.

Admittedly, they don't have a dodgy arcade leak to practise on (is it even kosher to discuss that on here?), but it's still a shame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Vyze wrote: »
    It kinda bugs me that CT has been dropped for months now because of CS. You don't see the SF4 players not bothering to play vanilla SF4 because Super is coming up.

Admittedly, they don't have a dodgy arcade leak to practise on (is it even kosher to discuss that on here?), but it's still a shame.

<Modhat> It is ok to discuss it but it is not ok to discuss anything illegal about it, such as how to acquire it etc.

That's my current understanding.

</modhat>

• Advertisement

Yeah, I can see how it's annoying. It's stupid how all over the place BlazBlue is. CT being out for ages in America and some people have it on import here. And THAT's only getting a proper release here soon enough while CS has been in the arcade for ages and that's gonna get a home release in Japan, in July?

Fair enough! I should probably read that rules thread sometime. :P

I wish I could practise CS, but the inputs are always wonky on any PC I've tried it on so I'm gonna be behind the curve when it's out on consoles, sadly.

Really? It took me a while to get it working but I got the controls working fine. Used a thing called Xpadder to get my stick to work properly. Maybe you could try that? It basically maps the keyboard keys to your stick. Works fine for me.

EDIT: I don't know how far this is going into 'illegal' talk....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Emulators etc and how to use them are fine to discuss.

Its where to get illegal copies of game that are a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Is this game coming to PC? I have the leadked version but it's impossible to practice on. I might be interested in playing the game as I loved GG

Ramza wrote: »
    Is this game coming to PC? I have the leadked version but it's impossible to practice on. I might be interested in playing the game as I loved GG
    Pretty sure the first game is getting a PC release along with the Euro release. I haven't seen anywhere selling it, though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

According to Amazons constant pre-order updates its just been delayed AGAIN!

I'll be showing up at Slayers for BB from around June onwards (haven't even been going to the 24hrs cause uni has had me up to my neck in s**t pretty much nonstop).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Over on Neo Empire a few people had the idea of splitting the tourney into two. I suggested, in particular, that anyone who made top four/eight/whatever in either the Serenity or DS24 tourneys qualifies for the "pro" tourney and everyone else goes into the beginners' tourney.

Having 4 people for the top tourney seems a bit pointless
    (since I would clearly kick all yo' little bitch-asses! :D)
    , so I may just run a beginner's tourney up north to introduce new players. We can run the more serious tournament next time we have a big crowd for another event.

Hey hey Vyze, technically i'm top 8 in Europe now :D, so don't get TOO hasty now... lol

• Advertisement

Hey hey Vyze, technically i'm top 8 in Europe now :D, so don't get TOO hasty now... lol
    How many people entered BB at Cannes? I'm hoping it got a decent turnout despite being CT.

Around 30 actually, a good enough turnout. Also in better news, it was won by a Nu player :D

Not bad, though a little disappointing since I think SVB had 60+ (not fully sure about this, though).

Also not sure about a Nu winning though, since every time a character not in the top 3 wins a CT tournament, it helps proves the whingers wrong. :P

Well anyway, back to tournament idea discussion. The consensus up north seems to be to have have a newbie-only tournament and a separate tournament where everyone's allowed to enter. I like this idea, but I just need to think of a way to entice new players to participate, since I've had a lot of trouble with this in the past. Even free entry plus prize support ended up being an uphill struggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

that means tin is even higher :D well i hope something happens.

Guys release date has ben pushed back AGAIN by PQube & Zen United LTD until the 26th of March, the 2nd delay this week.

I honestly fail to see what justification there is for these games taking so damn long, its the same for all FGs.

Granted BB probably has much more story text than usual to translate but most KoFs took something like 3 years to run a couple dozen victory quotes through google translator... :confused:

The delays are pretty obviously to avoid launching so close to something like FF13.

Not to mention the fact that the game has been out in the USA since last July, and has been in arcades for 18+ months.

The delays are pretty obviously to avoid launching so close to something like FF13.

Only in this instance though, doesn't really account for virtually every other japanese fighting game ever released (or not as the case usually is).

Do they really expect to make THAT many sales from random weeaboos? Surely there isn't that much overlap in the target markets. I'm sortof a FF fan but I've long been jaded to its BS, I'll get it when it's cheap and nobody cares...

...and then I'll gripe about it.

• Advertisement

Do they really expect to make THAT many sales from random weeaboos?
    In as much that a large number of casual sales will come from the same random weeaboos who bought Melty Blood and Arcana Heart for the same reason, yes.

Don't discount the wapanese to buy something just because it's got anime styling to it.

Also, I'm thinking for BB tourneys up north, one free-entry beginner-only tournament during the next Slayers24 event and then a more serious tournament possibly in May alongside the inevitable Super SF4 tournament so that the BB and SF4 heads in Dublin can all come up together, does that sound alright? I'll try to sort out prizes for both, though only the beginner tournament will be free entry.

Obviously once CS is out on consoles we'll be running something for that, too.

Advertisement