Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

window paint

• 11-03-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

is it better to use oil or water based paint on external windows?
    As they are subject to water ingress on the outside and condensation/also a bit of ingress on the inside should I be considering a water based finish on the inside?

It has finally struck me after 20 years of maintaining these windows that oil finishes on both sides may be trapping in moisture......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

geordief wrote: »
    is it better to use oil or water based paint on external windows?
    As they are subject to water ingress on the outside and condensation/also a bit of ingress on the inside should I be considering a water based finish on the inside?

It has finally struck me after 20 years of maintaining these windows that oil finishes on both sides may be trapping in moisture......

Oil based paint will not stick to wood if it has water in it.

You only need to worry if the paint is flaking off on a regular basis.

There are windows in Dublin that are approaching 300 years old they were painted with a milk based paint and now are painted with oil based paint,the most important coat of paint you ever give a piece of wood is the primer as it is the coat that helps to stick the undercoar and finish coat to the wood.

Basically if your windows are not flaking then you have nothing to worry about (Yet).

Advertisement