Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slovak Satellite

Options
  • 11-03-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just had a dish installed to get Slovak TV for the girlfriend, it's on satellite Astra 23.5°, however after I asked him for a box he said I'd have to buy it in Slovakia, I was under the impression I could get a box here and just buy the card online or get her uncle to send one over.

Anyone know a good online store that deals with all these channels? Also I paid 125 for the dish installation, but I am not convinced the dish is big enough, he thinks it's about 60cm whereas I'm pretty sure I need 1m+ to get these channels. If anyone has previous experience with Slovak/Czech satellite I beg you to enlighten me!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Looking at this footprint you should be ok with a 60cm dish you might get a signal loss in heavy rain http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/satellite-fleet/satellite-list/astra1g/index.php. I would usually install a 80cm to 1m dish for any european signals.

regarding a receiver if its Skylink channels you want the you will need a receiver that can take a cryptoworks cam http://www.creativesatellite.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d190.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Eureka, just checked the wiki page of Skylink and it's that exact one I want. Do you know if I can get a receiver in Ireland that will work for this, she is happy with the free view channels so does that mean I don't need a card?

I also have the dish installed and it's Astra 23.5.

Looks like only 1 slovak channel thats free on 23.5 http://www.flysat.com/tv-sk.php
    and a few Czech http://www.flysat.com/tv-cz.php. If she is happy to watch free channels then any sort of Free to Air receiver will do. Its a wonder that the guy who installed your dish could not provide you with this info.

Right, I don't mind paying something for the card as long as I can pay and that's that, or even for a year.. So do I need to get a box from Slovakia i.e. a Skylink box or will another box do? I'm looking to get all this sorted asap, any websites you'd recommend?

Some guys in the uk reckon a 1m to 1.5m dish is needed for skylink http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/789170-slovak-channels-uk.html
    also here is a online shop supplying cards a and receivers
    http://www.creativesatellite.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1460.html

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking that the box and card will cost 479 pounds sterling? That's a little more than I wanted to pay. Was thinking I might get the whole lot for less than 200, I already have the dish etc installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

Any generic receiver with a multicrypt card reader will accept a cryptoworks card, technomate receivers, icecrypt receivers etc, buy your receiver where ever you like and get the card from her uncle as planned.

Great stuff, surely that price on the creative satellite website is way off the mark for what I want?

I just want Slovak and Czech channels, have no intention of spending hundreds, I'd pay 200 for card and receiver, anymore is crazy!

Any receivers you would recommend?

Any generic receiver with a multicrypt card reader will accept a cryptoworks card, technomate receivers, icecrypt receivers etc, buy your receiver where ever you like and get the card from her uncle as planned.

So, update on this anyway is that the card is around 60 euro for the year and her uncle is going to send it out to me, just wondering is there any receiver you would recommend and where should I buy it.

I see you've listed a few there Steve but it means nothing to me, which one would best suit me, have a paypal account and would buy one now but just don't know which one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

dobry den,
    hi, you still need a receiver with a cryptoworks cam module for the card to sit in. Someone also linked the cam above this post. any CI (common interface) receiver and the cryptoworks cam will do. Or ask her uncle to send over a receiver for skylink as well, theyre cheap enough locally. ? Good luck and ask her to feed you halusky for the rest of the week if you succeed in reception of ct1/stv1. .) no need to spend a fortune also, i have a setup for less tan 200 euros inclusive of skylink card. Think NAY had a deal going for a technomate receiver and card.

telecinesk wrote: »
    dobry den,
    hi, you still need a receiver with a cryptoworks cam module for the card to sit in. Someone also linked the cam above this post. any CI (common interface) receiver and the cryptoworks cam will do. Or ask her uncle to send over a receiver for skylink as well, theyre cheap enough locally. ? Good luck and ask her to feed you halusky for the rest of the week if you succeed in reception of ct1/stv1. .) no need to spend a fortune also, i have a setup for less tan 200 euros inclusive of skylink card. Think NAY had a deal going for a technomate receiver and card.

Ahoj, ako sa mas? I think the Technomate 5400 will do me, I can get one for 100 quid off a guy in Dublin, just checking ebay to see if it's cheaper first. Halusky looks nice, we are going to Slovak International Restaurant on Sunday in Waterford, I'll see if they have it :)

Her uncle is getting the card and sending it over soon, I suppose I might aswell get the box myself, what is NAY? Dakujem :)

hi, forgot ou may not know. NAY is a store like full of electronics.theyre all over Slovakia. I got the technomate(i think) with the skylink card as a bundle for i think 180 euros. anyway good luck.

Thanks, I ordered a Technomate TM5400 off ebay yesterday and her uncle is sending the card :) can't wait to set it up.

Hi, did you order one of these : http://cgi.ebay.ie/Brand-NEW-SMIT-Cryptoworks-CAM-Cryptowork-CAMs_W0QQitemZ150399683023QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL?hash=item23048509cf

you will need a cryptoworks pcmcia module for the card to sit in,and this then slots into the decoder CI slot.
    Unless the receiver has a cryptoworks embedded thingy already. Please check this. Im not so familiar with this receiver.. Anyway enjoy the nice view of the presenters when it all works lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

Dave147 wrote: »
    Hi all, just had a dish installed to get Slovak TV for the girlfriend, it's on satellite Astra 23.5°, however after I asked him for a box he said I'd have to buy it in Slovakia, I was under the impression I could get a box here and just buy the card online or get her uncle to send one over.

Anyone know a good online store that deals with all these channels? Also I paid 125 for the dish installation, but I am not convinced the dish is big enough, he thinks it's about 60cm whereas I'm pretty sure I need 1m+ to get these channels. If anyone has previous experience with Slovak/Czech satellite I beg you to enlighten me!

125 for installation only or with the dish???

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Technomate should be able to handle Cryptoworks cards without additional CAM, though you may need to update the firmware if not already done. Try the card in the slot first, before buying a CAM.

Just an update on this, I got the Skylink card sent from Slovakia cost me 70 euro, can now watch TV JOJ, HBO, Nova Sport etc, however it won't even attempt to tune in TV Markiza which is the most important channel. I have a Technomate 6700 box but I'm just wondering if my satellite dish isn't strong enough, but seeing as I can pick up TV JOJ I should be able to pick up Markiza too?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Not a hope of picking it up here. It's on the German Beam of 23east which can't be picked up here. Here is the channels on the pack and if you look at the headings of each transponder you'll see the BEAM. You'll pickup all but German.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pack-skylink.php

Hope this helps.

Are you saying it's completely impossible for me to get TV Markiza in Ireland? That is bad news for my girlfriend as it's her favourite channel.. Surely if I was to get a better dish I could pick it up?

Edit: My current dish is only about 50-60cm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

0_astra_3A_Horizontal_M.jpgYou can barely get it in england only in some parts. no chance of getting it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

seems like its on more than one satellite but its with a different package to the one you've got.
    http://www.lyngsat-address.com/ln/Markiza-TV.html

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gan23

It should be possible to pick up the germany beam here. I have a 1.1 triax td 110 and scanned in some of the kabel deutschland transponders (also on the germany beam) last night. The signal is varying between 28 and 40% quality depending on the transponder. So maybe with a slightly larger dish correctly alligned it could be done. I havent tried to scan for these particular channels though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

i can also get german beam on a 1.1m but its very hit & miss. most days no but clear days/evenings yes. couldnt rely on it though. same as some digi tv transonders on 1west, cant rely on them!

Well it's very important that I get it, I'm willing to put up a 120cm dish to get it, TV Markiza should be on the package I have, Skylink, along with JOJ, Nova etc.

Edit: Just checked, Astra 3A it's on the SkyLink package, which is what I have. No reason why I shouldn't be able to receive it with a bigger dish??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

you'll need a much bigger dish, maybe 1.5m dish for reliable reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

snaps wrote: »
    you'll need a much bigger dish, maybe 1.5m dish for reliable reception.

Or maybe consider going down the UPC route, that will give you TV Markiza much easier on either Thor .8W or Astra 19E. Seems to be far less channels on UPC and you would need to resubscribe to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wh@le

Well it's very important that I get it, I'm willing to put up a 120cm dish to get it, TV Markiza should be on the package I have, Skylink, along with JOJ, Nova etc.

Edit: Just checked, Astra 3A it's on the SkyLink package, which is what I have. No reason why I shouldn't be able to receive it with a bigger dish??

I'm expecting a delivery of a few 105cm dishes, one 130cm by the end of this week. I'll test Skylink Astra 23.5 3A beams (STV1, STV2, STV3, Markiza, Joj) and I'll post a response here.

I'll have few Openbox X-540 receivers available too.

wh@le wrote: »
    I'm expecting a delivery of a few 105cm dishes, one 130cm by the end of this week. I'll test Skylink Astra 23.5 3A beams (STV1, STV2, STV3, Markiza, Joj) and I'll post a response here.

I'll have few Openbox X-540 receivers available too.

Thanks alot, let me know if it works so otherwise I'll go down the UPC route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wh@le

Thanks alot, let me know if it works so otherwise I'll go down the UPC route.

dishes delivered 3x 105cm, 1x 130 cm and one multifocus.. I can't wait for morning daylight :)

Advertisement